Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wposse

Cabin in the woods/Curb appeal?

William POSSE
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Our home is in the woods and surrounded by trees, We love our home in the woods but not in love with the colors which are somewhat drab. We have lots of projects on the list and wanted to get some advice on a few things prior to starting any larger projects. We are NOT looking for a high maintenance colors like "White/yellow etc.." but do want to provide the home a better look especially considering its due for some maintence paint/stain, and new roof.

General notes:
*Better color scheme, trim, roof (needs to be replaced anyway-metal or shingles, color?)
*Continuing the stone theme on the columns that hold the deck up (we'll be pulling the lattice off)
*The window on the left of the home is a kitchen window that is over the sink. The window in my opinion is too small.
*Open Dormer (second floor deck) accessible from loft over the kitchen (left of house)
*Meandering walkway from front of home to driveway
*Will be cutting three trees behind house and installing pergola along with closing up the car port-at least thats some thoughts-

Don't hesitate to critique...any part of the home. All advice/suggestions welcome

Comments (4)

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    With that lovely stone, the siding stain tone is great, and fitting. You don't want to go darker and heading lighter is What will make this sing requires a commitment to color. What about a red metal roof and trimaround each window / front door? Or, Green metal roof and trim?
    Depending on the amount of precipitation, a metal roof may be too noisy for your home . . .but you can also buy a standard shingle in a classic green, even repeat a cedar look in a sort of brown/gray (mid tone not dark and with enough warmth / earth tone to work with your stone)
    You will want to add trim around the rear windows where your elevations start to be more contemporary .. the windows appear to be bronze metal - with trim around them/ connecting them, they will present as a wall of windows - the bronze tone is why I prefer the red idea. Your roof shape has so much charm it would be darling in red . . . more stone on the up right pillars - at least those that won't be enclosed
    William POSSE thanked libradesigneye
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Images[houzz=
    Poplar Cottage · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Goose Farm · More Info
    ] (here, they went a bit more green undertone on the house stain but it needs to be a color that comes from the stone)
    [houzz=
    Lake Country Builders · More Info
    ]
    why you don't want to go dark brown on the body of the cabin - but a good look at a red roof
    and netal [houzz=
    Half Way, OR: Pat & Patti Walker · More Info
    ]
  • William POSSE
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love the ideas... you've suggested. The windows are brown "Pella" windows which would be difficult to paint but with the proper prep it could be done. I've thought about metal for the roof and being in NC it would work pretty well. I've hesitated doing anything on the roof until I figured out what if anything I would do with the roof line (dormers, etc.. ) but i'm starting to think I'll leave it as it is and focus on a nicer front window in the kitchen, landscaping etc.. either way I'll make a point to update this thread with any updates/pics I make. Please keep the ideas/feedback coming..
  • William POSSE
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's an update... metal roof on.. 1 of 100000 projects down. :-)

As usual any and all feedback is welcome. I ended up going with the non color roof (silver) based on the versatility it affords me with colors/stains plus it was cheaper.

I'm prepping to stain the house but can't find anything I like. I've also thought about painting the front section (whats under the front porch with a lighter (yellowish color) just to make it stand out a bit included an example pic below.

Plans- Stone path from front of house to drive way... (currently we have old brick walkway to left <<< side of house (parking area). Stone path would also break to side of house where we park.

Plans-Stone columns under front porch

Question-Garage... what to do with the garage door?

Plans-stone foundation to match house, eye brow over garage door (help keep rain out), Big farm house light?

Example:

Of yellowish.. and or brighter color I was thinking off, also my gutters and windows are brown.

Wall which I'm considering painting below or maybe paint the door hmmm any advice is welcome thanks..

Thanks again