Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmhassa2

Help select a glam wallpaper and paint

mmhassa2
9 years ago
Here's our working in progress dining room. I need to make a accent wall and need suggestions on pain choice for the remainder walls.

Table is black and chairs are greyish blue with the head chair greyish purple. How to tie both blue & purple into a wallpaper?

Comments (98)

• mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This pallete that was posted by a member, I've looked everywhere but cannot find the color name for the 2nd color from the top...does anyone know? I believe it's a BM pallet?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @mmhassa2, just scroll up, get their name and post a message asking them on here. :)
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    I think this is the link to the purple and gray colors. http://www.sweetandlovelylife.com/2012/purple-grey-paint-color-palette/
    mmhassa2 thanked mick50
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    Look at Calluna by Farrow and Ball - can't paste the link from my iPad - go to farrow-ball.com. Lovely heathery grey colour, which can look soft greyish lilac in bright light. Sure that Benjamin Moore could do a colour match.

Mirror - the left hand wall is opposite the windows isn't it? Great place to put the mirror to bounce more light around in daytime and from the chandelier at night.
    mmhassa2 thanked sloegin
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Here's Calluna by Farrow & Ball (top left) that sloegin is referring to. Very pretty color. Benjamin Moore's Cinder grey in the color palette mick50 posted is beautiful too. A couple more suggestions would be Sherwin Williams Unique Gray (top right), SW Essential Gray (bottom left) and if want something darker, Farrow & Ball's Mole's Breath (bottom right).

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    mmhassa2 thanked Thos. Baker
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Alright, looked over the web for pretty much all the suggested colors and "think" CINDER AF-705 might be the color. It has a purple undertone and should be a good match to the wallpaper. What do you guys think? I'm attaching a few photos of it found online in different room/lighting. I wanted something to have the grey color with a hint of purple to make the large chair fit.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cinder

Any reason this wont work? I plan to add "sprakle through the glass mirror, a glass buffet/server eventually and bling decor on the table. We'll also be installing potlights on the bulkhead you see on the ceiling.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    @mmhassa2, on my monitor it's showing very grey. I'm not seeing the undertone. But I think if it has the undertone that you say, then I think it's great! Is that the paper you're going with for sure? Just wondering. :) In the picture of the bedroom above, I love the color. Good luck! :)
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yep Im hoping it looks like the way it does on the bedroom photo. Reading though online this color is described to have a purple undertone, so willing to give it a try. Worst case scenario, I have to re-paint but Im not super picky and have never hated any color to the point of re-painting ;) LOL

The link here shows the undertone more accurately. Thanks Mick50 for posting the link!
    http://www.sweetandlovelylife.com/2012/purple-grey-paint-color-palette/
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Well, it looks good in that picture, I say go for it. I think you made great choices so far and the peeks I get of your home from the dining room pictures looks pretty good to me. I wish you good luck with the paint. Post a picture when you finish. I still would have gotten two big blingy chairs. lol :)
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    As long as it blends well with the wallpaper, it should be beautiful. Be sure to post an "after" photo.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Another request for pics please!
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Again, here are the colors I had originally suggested-they are listed in order as they appear.
    SW's Mink, Special Gray, Spalding Gray, and Dovetail
    If you're keeping the large chair (which I do like), the light should be larger in scale. The one you have is fine lengthwise, but not height-it should be taller.
    Good Luck!

[houzz=
    Richmond Residence · More Info
    [houzz=
    KCMdesigns · More Info
    ]][houzz=
    Corona Street Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Parade Home · More Info
    ]
    http://www.lampsplus.com/products/schonbek-chantant-33-inch-wide-large-crystal-pendant-light__5w300.html
    mmhassa2 thanked Natalie
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    How's the paint going in my dining room? lol ;)
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    zazfuzzroc: Painting wont be going on until tomorrow as I'll have my bother help with the taping/entertaining ;) BUT was going to post to let you know, you were RIGHT! That paint CINDER AF-705 is SOOO graveyard grey. And I only found out after tinting my cans :(

So in a pure panic moment I got desperate and asked the guy to somehow add something to make it have a purple undertone as I had envisioned. While I stood there biting my nails, he did his magic. Its exactly what I *thought* CINDER would be. I'll post the photos for you to compare. Cant believe I read it has a purple undertone, um ya just like graveyard stones have a purple undertone!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    YAY!!!!!! I was right about something on here. :D I may save this thread for future proof. lol ;) The left looks better. Good luck! You have great taste, trust it. :) I see the purple. ;)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Mmhassa2, Is that painting finished? No pressure, just anxious to see. ;) Did you buy your wallpaper yet? With all the different ones and the back and forth comments, was it the last one you settled on? Or were you waiting to see after you painted? Good luck. I hope you moved my chairs or covered them. lol :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Looked at this and thought of your room (only wall color). Hope all is well. :)
    Amagansett, NY · More Info
    mmhassa2 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, did you like the color? Wondering? :)
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @zazfuzzroc: So sorry to disappear. Both boys and hubby got sick and I've been spending more time trying to keep the vomits into a bucket vs all over the couch/rug! Yuck!
    Was FINALLY able to paint the dining room yesterday AND just completed the family room which was half painted since last December. Yes almost a year and I finally completed THAT project.

Here are a few photos, I love love LOVE the paint and the big chair fits in perfectly while the grey chairs really pop out with a grey/purple backdrop.

I do have a dilemma, what should I add in the center of the table as decor? Something simple yet with a hint of bling ;)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    That looks great! I'm on my feed, so I'm going to your dilemma to get a close up. :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I'm so sorry to hear that about your family. You're probably worn out too. And trust me I'm the last to judge, It feels like my kitchen has taken a decade. lol :) I personally would definitely still like a little bling on the table, especially if you want to attract some attention there. What type of thing did you have in mind? Or you have no idea? :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Check this out.... your design is definitely in with this designer....
    Baroque Modern Condo · More Info
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    What about colored glass?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Do you want a single piece or several smaller in a grouping? This idea is pretty, not that you'll leave your table set, but the shine of glass. In color, or a bowl? I'm grasping at straws, because I don't know what you like. lol :)
    Miami Condo · More Info
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---sorry to hear your family is under the weather-hope they feel better soon. :)
    Love the dining room photo ZaZ posted. Note-two things-how much BIGGER the light fixture is and the metallic wall. Your new wall color looks Very Nice! Table decor---keep it light and metallic...
    Looking forward to the wallpaper.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Glamour Home · More Info
    ]
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Natalie, eventually when budget permits we'll be definitely changing the light fixture to something larger. But for now this will have to do. I LOVE the beautiful chandelier posted earlier, but with a $2600 price tag might be something we change later on.

Went a little shopping today and came back with these jar things (what are they called?). They're really pretty and I like the height factor. I'm thinking 1 large silver one in the middle and 2 smaller light purple on the two ends. But also picked up some candle holders from Ikea...wondering if its just too much? Should I just stick the 3 jar things or should I add the candle holders as well? Also picked up a velvet similar to the chairs table runner. This is the longest one I came across...seems like nothing is over this size. Looks fine or should I remove it?
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more photos
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I think the colors are great. It's not great to see on the iPad mini, I will check on the pc. Looking good. ;)
  • kikiprincess
    9 years ago
    dear mmhassa2, i love the side chairs- style, pattern, colors! can you share where you purchased them? they are exactly what i have been searching for. thank you!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Love wallpaper! Love glitz and glamour!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    And just wondering? How is your family feeling? Better, I hope. :)
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @kikiprincess: The side chairs were purchased from Costco Canada online, but I dont see the chairs on their website anymore. I do know stores like Marshalls and TJ Mexx also carries the same chairs in different colors.

@zazfuzzroc: Family is doing better, still sick but no vomits which is good enough for me :D Thanks for asking :)

Happy Halloween everyone!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Mmhassa2, glad to hear they're better. Happy candy day to you too. ;)
  • Marsha
    9 years ago
    I LOVE the big chair! Lol what about putting the other same color chair at the other end so the colors frame the table and move the two silver flowered? Ones to the middle opposite each other with the remaining white chairs on either side. Just a thought...love all the chairs!
  • Marsha
    9 years ago
    Maybe my idea isn't correct...your chairs look different in different pictures lol I thought some were white, one grey, and two flowered...anyway, love the room and the new paint:)
  • kikiprincess
    9 years ago
    mmhassa2: thank you for the information- i am going to marshalls and tjmaxx tmrw to see if i can find these lovely chairs!
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @kikiprincess: You're very welcome. The chairs are made by a local company in Canada but are sold under many different names throughout Canada and USA. Search or ask in store for Cynthia Rowley Chair and you'll find them. Here's one that popped up when I googled: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9fKFJAlKEbI/UKzxVDTYaOI/AAAAAAAAADk/elWfyGUz3SQ/s320/IMG_4663.jpg
  • mmhassa2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So I suddenly decided the room really needed some LED potlights to show the same beautiful color I see during the day but at night. So after 9 potlights and over $1K spent, looks like I'll stop working on this room for a few months as we have a major reno starting next week in the house and need to invest $/time into that. (Finishing our basement!) So for now here are a few of my almost finished dining room, THANK YOU all for the suggestions/advice so far. Will bring this thread up in a few months when I get new server,lamps,rug,curtain etc.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Mmhassa2, sad to see you go, but you can bet I'll be watching for your return with this awesome room! Good luck to you and your family. :) It looks great!
    mmhassa2 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    FabulouS!
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Fab ....
    Enjoy .....
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    Your room looks beautiful. I can picture fresh flowers in that middle vase, like a bunch of lavender hydrangeas and white tulips spilling over in the spring, or white roses and pine in winter! Good luck with the basement...I know how time and money get sucked into the next project! We've been renovating different parts of our house for years! Lol. Tell us when you start a new thread for your basement! I'd like to follow your progress. :)
  • Chae
    9 years ago
    sorry I kinda disappeared from the post. your room looks perfect!! the centerpieces go well too.
    mmhassa2 thanked Chae
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous, rich and glamorous- and very classy. Love it: well done!
    mmhassa2 thanked sloegin
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!!!! Will you be adding artwork to the wall in the back? I think that will really complete the space. Thanks for sharing all the progress!

-Janis, GKB
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hey Mmhassa2, Hope your basement reno is going well. :) Wanted to say have a great holiday and new year! :)
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    what do u think about adding led strip lights to the ceiling
    also the back wall looks a bit empty to me ( or maybe it's just photos). what do u think about adding wall mural to that wall
  • tinkrbell83
    7 years ago

Came out Beautiful!! I love youreading dining table, where did u get it?

• Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Here's a few ideas
  • Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Sorry I like the paint color! I don't read responses before I post. Raw opinion here lol