Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clynchy

Need advice for Kitchen update

clynchy
9 years ago
We are buying a house where the kitchen is maybe Mediterranean /adobe style kitchen. We want to remove the fake chimney as the house is on the water and this blocks the view. The island counter top is tile as is the fireplace surround. Looking for ideas to update. Posting some pics along with the living area as this is all one big space.

Comments (13)

• delyanks
    9 years ago
    Are you going to gut the kitchen or what is the budget?
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No, cabinets will stay as will the floor. Looking to maybe revamp the center island. New counter top and maybe make room for seating. Removal of fake chimney.
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Lefty47. but not looking to do total overhaul. We do not have a budget at the moment, but looking for more cosmetic improvements.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Hi! Based on what you have mentioned in your previous comment about keeping the existing kitchen and floor as is, i would recommend a medium to dark granite which has veining in it, maybe a dark brown/black base with extensive white/sand colored graining, or vice versa, something that will create a statement and put a pop of color into an otherwise light-toned space.
    Taking out the chimney is a great idea as it will definitely open up the area! I would suggest going for cabinets at a standard base height (36") for the island and doing a 16" raised eating bar on both ends of the island, that way you can still enjoy the view and it will create more dimension in your space with the raised and lowered tops. Also doing a mosaic backsplash that has stainless steel tiles or even glass tiles in a long vertical application would enhance the space and work great with the amount of natural light you have coming in. And on the back of the island you can put some wineracks in the middle just to show off some of your nice bottles! Good luck with your project!
    clynchy thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Since the sink is behind the fireplace, and it faces toward your beautiful outdoor view, I suggest the cheapest fix would be hiring a carpenter to build new open shelves along the face of the island, and installing a new stone countertop on the island. Take out the fireplace completely to open up that view! This would be the cheapest solution--but beware about patching the tile floor after taking out the fireplace. If there are boxes of that floor tile somewhere around the house, then you're golden.
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Nabila, I like all your suggestions. I am not sure I understand what you mean by maybe a dark brown/black base with extensive white/sand colored graining?
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you J&J, I like your idea about removing the fireplace, but would have a battle with the hubby!
  • acm
    9 years ago
    are you*sure* there's no chimney in that chimney?
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I'm sure, it is a ventless gas fireplace. Chimney hollow in the middle.
  • PRO
    Leschland
    9 years ago
    So, if i understand correctly, keep fireplace, no structural in chimney, low impact with massive visual results......you could facelift existing cabinets (paint), knock down the chimney. Giving the fireplace a built in look to the cabinets. If you really cook, keep your single level island, It's timeless, and look into quartz counters. They are amazing! Zero maintenance, zero! Keep the clean line look of the rest of the space by using the same quartz as a backslpash, and done. Good Luck!! ~Leschland Ventures
  • clynchy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Leschland! my thoughts exactly, what color would you recommend on the quartz?
  • PRO
    Leschland
    9 years ago
    Glad to confirm your thought! I would encourage you to check out silestone.com. The selection is terrific, and the cost (about that of other stones) could affect your choice. With your current cabinet (or similarly dark) color; I love "Pulsar" for your space. On the other hand, if you go to a light cabinet; i could see something like "Toffee". Your space seems very airy, and comfortably laid back, so i dont think i would go to high contrast (black and white). Would love to see the completed project~Leschland