Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warren1980

Help with a reading nook

warren1980
9 years ago
Want to make a reading nook out of the blue patterned spare wing back chair in the corner. I have other accessories picked out, like lamp, ottoman, etc, but cant decide on the book case. I want to put a book case against that large wall to the left of the chair. So 2 questions- ceiling height or half wall height and dark brown wood or white?

Comments (41)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think the full height and not sure about white or brown. Accessorize with items other than books as well. Place the small table on other side of chair and an ottoman and throw would make it even more comfy. [houzz=
    Bowen Island, New Construction · More Info
    ]
  • unwantedadvice
    9 years ago
    First of all, beautiful room, very nicely done! I would go with partial height and dark wood. It would be cool if the bookcase could wrap around the corner, too. I suggest dark wood because of the wall color and going with white might just blend a bit too much into that corner. And partial height because ceiling height may overpower the wall and the rest of the room.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    If you decide on a partial height, maybe place your blue artwork (horizontally) over the furniture and you could add new artwork in the other area that perhaps contained more green to really highlight that color as well.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Check Ikea's bookcases. We bought one in tone called grey-brown, a nice driftwood sort of color which to me goes with dark and light both.
    If you don't mind, I wondered if you might place one of those ottoman covers over TV's ottoman and place in that area....even your blue art somehow, though large....
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    i too think that the art work in the living room doesn't really match the rest of the colors. i would move it to the reading nook area
    as for the reading nook- i don't think u need a bookcase in there, maybe something smaller like an console with that blue panting above it. i think black or dark wood to match the other furniture
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9 years ago
    I think half-height in white would be good - full height & dark would compete with your window wall which is a feature of its own. The books/accessories will provide colour. Have fun!
  • kathyjohnstonkathy
    9 years ago
    I would definitely go with a built in bookcase in the style of the house, not a ready made piece.

However, before I do that I would restage that area to see if you cannot make it more inviting without going to that expense ( unless of course you really want/need a bookcase).

Try moving that white garden stool over there in stead of the current side table. And that blue painting or another large piece. Stack some books on the floor on the other side of the chair. Try a small floor lamp too.

Hatetoshop's photo is the best advice so far.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    The table you have by the blue chair is the right height, but move it to the other side. A white bookcase to "L" the corner and stay below the light switches would be my choice. You'll need art above the one on the larger wall, but your large blue piece will be too large there. Since the blue reading chair is angled, I'd like to see the two green chairs straightened with a rectangular or square table between them. Use the chart below to help size it correctly. Would love to see the rest of your space. You're doing a great job with it. Is there a FP on the wall opposite the TV?
  • laurie0714
    9 years ago
    This is a nice corner that would be good for your reading nook. But, it looks like a door to the left so you could eliminate distractions if you move the chair to the left and angle it away from the door (toward the wall). I would put a full height bookcase on the back wall and a lower one on the right wall. Moving the large blue picture over the low bookcase would look good with your chair. If you use white bookcases, move the white round table into your nook and put a good reading lamp on it. Maybe a nice round rug under the space to further define it, too. Good luck and post updated photos!
  • reuvens
    9 years ago
    where is the bookcase going or not? I mean I would have a bookcase wall at least in the corner for a small version of what I'm talking about or I would have both walls with bookcases and the large section would have a fold-down desk if you need it. so many things to consider.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    open ladder style
    Casa Corbino · More Info
  • h2ocolorkid
    9 years ago
    The room is very nice. I think the bookshelves should be dark wood and ceiling height on the big walk next to the chair, with the table moved to the other side. I would incorporate some green into that side of the room with a throw for the chair and a picture in the window wall, to tie the book nook in with the rest of the room., and maybe a small rug with blue and green.
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    The corner doesn't feel cozy. The very bright light overhead isn't helping to create a warm little corner, are you able to adjust that? A bookcase on the larger wall near the chair is a great idea, I'd get rid of the little side table and put a nice pouf there for your feet. Would you consider painting that wall near the chair and windows a blue on the darker end of the spectrum? The white walls and white drapes seem blah. I'd put a great pull out brass reading lamp on the wall.
  • shortlisa
    9 years ago
    Suggestions....Corner tall, dark wood bookcase with hanging pendant light over side table, warm colored rug....add books, tea and enjoy!
  • 4megarama
    9 years ago
    i would go with the wood tone bookcase carried around the corner. consider wood at the back of the bookcase to give the whole thing weight. put the table to the right unless you have a lefty in the house and use a task lamp to the right as well. you only need a footstool and some decor on the table. love that green and blue palette....
  • Gretchen Maurer
    9 years ago
    I'll throw out another idea....how about hanging shelves that wrap the corner. I love the art where it is, it brings the blue to both areas. I do like the idea of the garden stool there...too many legs going on and cold looking. Can a runner go along the space in front of the door and give you a spot to put your chair on one end of it? I found some images for fun....depending on time budget and commitment to the corner here are some ideas. I love your pieces and colors, have fun making this nook cozy....
  • deb
    9 years ago
    I would go half way and match wood to your tv stand cabinet....put pretty task lightening lamp on top. Plus some favorite figurines. 2 low pictures to make library looking. An ottoman and blanket (shawl). Can you get a smaller cabinet to match and store your books inside? oh maybe a round area braided rug in that area to ground it.
  • PRO
    Capel Rugs
    9 years ago
    A round braided area rug in your reading nook could be just the thing to ground your space. We have several rugs in our collection that might work - below are just a few ideas. All of our braids can come in a round shape and are reversible for twice the wear.

Heathered rug in Pinwheel Navy Solid · More Info

American Legacy rug in Pine Forest · More Info

Songbird rug in Blue Jay · More Info

Please see our profile for more ideas.

Good luck!

Capel Rugs
  • bookworm_lt
    9 years ago
    Hi, LOVE the colors that you've used so far! What color paint and curtains did you use? If you don't mind my asking. I love the shade of them, especially together. I've been really struggling with wall colors and didn't think I'd find a shade I'd like until I saw yours! It would be a tremendous help! Painters come Monday!
    I'm a voracious reader, and I love your idea of a dedicated cozy reading space! I'd leave your beautiful blue art in the living room, it connects your spaces very nicely. Maybe add a lime vase to your side table next to the window or some green on your bookcase. I would go with white wood for the bookcase to blend with your trim, too. It's a LOVELY room, would love to know your paint color!
  • bearn1758
    9 years ago
    I will go out on a limb here and suggest using a warm color for the back of the bookcase and/or the drapes and/or a throw...maybe a soft tangerine or terra cotta? Adding a lime green vase/object on the bookshelf or side table, preferably the one in the living room section. You can easily carry the warm color with small pillows or other objects into the living room area as well.
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    I would put the large blue picture on the big wall. Move the blue chair so that it faces the windows/door . . . that way when you're sitting and reading you can daydream out the window too! Exchange the brown table with the white garden stool for the left side of the chair (after it's been turned). Put a tall bookcase on the short wall by the windows and a credenza or short bookcase or sofa table on the big wall under the picture. Have a vase of fresh flowers and a task lamp near the corner. Have another lamp on either the end of the credenza/short bookcase by the chair or the white garden stool. Definitely have a throw -- hopefully with blue and green in it and perhaps a small rug incorporating those two colors. I might even consider painting the bookcases to incorporate the green from the living room. IKEA bookcases are very reasonably priced, although you can get some at your local HD or Lowe's.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    9 years ago
    You should get a full-height bookcase in a dark wood to coordinate with the other 2 pieces. 78-84"high. No need to take it to the ceiling. Put a framed picture on the smaller wall. Enjoy !
  • PRO
    Diva by Design
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of a white full height bookcase. If you go with the dark wood, everything looks too matchy-matchy and dark. The white goes with your moldings and will keep the corner bright (which is good for reading). The full height will give you room to expand your book collection, but it also depends on what is on the opposite side of the room. Is it something tall or short? The tall bookcase will balance another tall object across the room. The same goes for the shorter version if you have something shorter on the other side.
  • PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    9 years ago
    You have some fairly good ideas to choose from with the previous comments. A dark bookcase appears ideal to flow with the floor and your other dark wood furnishings. But, it can be overpowering if you choose a floor-to-ceiling bookcase in the dark wood. Add a lower bookcase if you choose a wood tone and brighten the space above it with a large mirror or colorful painting to pick up the blue and green in the rest of the living space. I would love to see your "after" photos when you finalize your decision. Have fun with it!
  • Martha Carlton
    9 years ago
    Google bookcase end table and see a number of create ideas. Add some green from the rest of the room as an ottoman, a throw, a throw pillow and art on the wall above the chair. The end table will provide a place to set your coffee mug while reading. Also include a floor lamp .
  • dapplesassy
    9 years ago
    A tall dark wood bookcase on the window wall behind the chair and an attractive floor lamp behind the side table.
  • Mary Nigro
    9 years ago
    I like full height in dark wood . You can use the height there and the dark wood will contrast with the light wall and drapes.
  • rikerwoman
    9 years ago
    I would get a comfy chaise and pillows, maybe a little window seat, with either knick knacks or books, lots of color
  • PRO
    Cleveland Designs
    9 years ago
    OK........I would buy a taller wing back chair with ottoman, your ceiling height is to tall for that chair, a real festive fabric on a Chair to mix in well with your Green Chairs, a standing reading lamp, you may have to cut off some of the length so that the light is just right for reading........The book shelf could go tall or a 32" one, plus make sure you have a small table for your reading glasses or a cup of Tea, coffee etc. Just make it cozy and everything is just right, the lighting, air flow and it's comfortable for you. Remember you want to get lost in your book or digital reading tablet, make it so. Good luck.
  • bookofideas
    9 years ago
    Small throw rug, replace chair with chase lounge, hanging lamp overhead with rotator switch on wall for brightness, baskets, throw, fancy wall shelf with books, side table bigger for iPads and such.
  • Jennifer Mendenhall
    9 years ago
    I would have a bookcase to the ceiling that wrapped around the corner a bit. I would make it dark wood like the rest of the wood furniture. It would make more of a statement. Then I sit in the chair and think about the things you would want close by when your reading. A blanket over the back of the chair, pillow, ottoman, container for pens, sticky notes, book marks etc, or coaster for your drink. I don't know if you just read and/or study. Chair and table are very cute by the way. If you are an avid reader a small set of shelves may become too small quickly, then you have spent all that money and have to find another place to store books...
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    I can't help myself - I'm going to comment again....
    Tranquil Forest, Set by Erin Clark · More Info
  • Lindsey
    9 years ago
    All you need are 4 simple components - chair, light fixture, wall picture, accent piece (i.e.: small table). It doesn't need to be newly purchased or cost you much in fact. Just ensure they're all of varying heights. DIMENSIONS!! Best of luck...Contemporary BedroomContemporary Living Room by Other Metro General Contractors Mindful Designs, Inc.Contemporary Entry by Atlanta Photographers Erica George Dines Photography
  • Anna Green
    4 years ago

I love the space you have there! The chair color is beautiful, you only need to add a good library or sideboard, illumination, and some decorations like frames, pillows, covers, and planters. Look at these examples (you'll have to adapt them):

Tequesta Brickell Key Residence · More Info

Photo Shoot Planters · More Info

I have a similar nook but is in my room, I have a womb from BCN, an IKEA floating library, self-made frames and a few modern planters I found on local stores. I love it! Hope you get to love yours when you finish decoring!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The bookcase should be no higher than the chair back. If the lamp shade is too wide for the bookcase, put the lamp on the small table. The important factor is that the lamp must illuminate the lap area where the books will be held while reading. I would keep the small table on the small wall to the right: the reader may like to have a drink nearby and a place to put the book down, ready to be continued. I would hang a piece of art over the bookcase and maybe drape a soft throw over the arm of the chair for cool evenings.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

this post is 5 years old. let it die.

• Anna Green
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : girl, I didn't notice until you told me, how funny, it was on my latest.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

anna,,yes,,,these old posts are triggered up by certain words and phrases. you always have to check the dates.

• Anna Green
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : I just notice I been commenting on a few old posts for an accident. I just click on popular in Design Dilemmas. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be aware now.

• Thomas Wadden
    4 years ago

I would go with some simple open shelving next to the chair.

Something like this would be a nice fit, or the shelf on the left in this pic.