Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanrcope

Towel Bar Placement?

Susan Cope
11 years ago
This one always alludes me...where do you put towel bars, etc. in the room? Is there some kind of code? If there is, some builder's houses should have access to those codes because they seem so inconvenient to me. My husband and I have been discussing where to put the towel bar for the bathtub. I think it should be accessible when you get out of the tub. He thinks it should go on the wall behind where the head of the tub is. We have space in both places but I don't know if either would be aesthetically pleasing. Now that I think about it, do we even have to have a towel bar? How do you handle that?

Comments (23)

• ikwewe
    11 years ago
    Some decorators are showing towel hooks instead of towel bars. That being said, I like the bars because you can spread a damp towel out on them to dry. If you have space, I would put the towel bars in both places. You can each have your towel where you want it.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Go through the motion of taking a bath. When you get out of the tub, and you need to grab a towel, what feels like an intuitive reach for you. Do you have kids? Is one easier for the kids to reach? I like hooks, because I hang my towels to dry, they're a little more discrete too. Have a look, I put these right by this shower...
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks ikwewe and Wendy. This is very helpful information. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow to show you what I mean. I don't want to mess up my "uncluttered" bathroom with towel bars everywhere. I like to have a place to hang wet ones too but perhaps I could have that be my laundry room.
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks Charmean. I love the look of that bathroom!!! I wish it were mine. I like what we are doing with ours too however. Hooks are a little more discrete, I agree. This is for a Master Bathroom so there probably won't be too many kids bathing there. The jet tub is mine all mine.....
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    If you have room why not put the towel bar in both locations so it works for both your husband and yourself.

Westlake Residence · More Info
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    OK, I need to add those hooks to my guest bathroom. That looks great, Charmean!
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dytecture, your towel racks don't look cluttered to me. That gives me hope that I can accomplish a tidy look using towel racks. I would love to add a towel warmer but we are majorly over budget already so that will not work. Thanks for your insight and a visual example of how it can be pulled off.
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some pictures of the reno in progress. They go from left to right around the room. The only thing I didn't include in the photos is the shower in progress (at the other side of the bathtub faucet). I know I want a towel bar just outside there so that's not an issue. It's at all these other places I'm unsure about.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi susanrcope, I'm glad you have 'hope' in this situation :) Looks like you have plenty of wall space to hang towel bars / warmer. Do you have any ideas what is happening to the left of the double vanity? it seems to be just an empty space.
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would be very happy to have any great input about that. We don't have the money for it right now but were planning to build a storage tower.
  • PRO
    Wendy Hoechstetter
    11 years ago
    Hook - yes, that's what I meant by "peg". I hate these senior moments when I can't think of the right word I want .
  • PRO
    Wendy Hoechstetter
    11 years ago
    Susanrcope, that's a great idea. In the meantime, until you are ready, try a tall pedestal with a beautiful flower arrangement or piece of sculpture on top, or a tall planter with a hardy plant that doesn't need much light (if such exists - a gardener I am not), or even well-made faux tall plants if not.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    There are many options here. My preference is a towel warmer at the head of the tub. I also like using train racks with rolled or folded towels which can be hung on the lower rods when damp. I use robe hooks or towel rings outside the shower. Do post photos as you progress and have fun with your decorating!
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wendy I must have been having a 'senior moment' with you when I read your post because I knew exactly what you meant. :-) I like your temporary solution for that void I have. I was wondering what I was going to do with that in the meantime. Just so many things have to be attended to. And, yes, there are house plants that need very little light. About them being tall??? My bathroom gets great afternoon sunlight so I could probably get away with an orchid or something fun like that.

We still aren't finished (hubby is tiling the shower as I type) We kind of did construction out of order because we wanted to have the proper amount of facilities when we have company that has been streaming through our home. (We currently have my father-in-law here getting out of the heat and recuperating from a pace maker implant surgery)

MintDesign, I like how you think. I talked with hubby about a towel warmer while the wall was open and thought long and hard about it but opted for the jetted tub instead of a regular tub. I agree the towel warmer would be absolutely lovely just at the head of the tub. You had to go and mention towel rings. Now I have another option!!!! That sounds nice too. I'm going for a modern take on art deco so I don't know which kind of hardware would be best. I will post photos as you suggest. I have been doing that on my other question "balance or pop of color" I can post them here too.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I truly read everything carefully and take everything to heart to come up with the best possible design I can come up with.
  • PRO
    Wendy Hoechstetter
    11 years ago
    You're welcome, susanrcope.

You can still have your towel warmer later, if you want, as either a freestanding model - or a warming drawer tucked into the base of that future storage tower ;-> http://www.jacuzzi.com/baths/options/models/towel-warming-drawer
  • Susan Cope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Great website, Wendy. What a luxuriant feature! Some day. I already feel like I am dreaming by having a jetted tub and such a large bathroom. This would be icing on the cake.
  • PRO
    Wendy Hoechstetter
    11 years ago
    It would indeed be wonderful; I'm right there with you ;->
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    There are no codes , Put them as per your Convenience and Aesthetics ,
  • PRO
    Amba Products
    11 years ago
    Everywhere is AMBA heated towel bars. The photos speak for themselves.
    Bellissimi, technologia Italiano !
  • Joanymb
    8 years ago

I have a 3.5 x 5.5 shower. I was considering having a towel warmer installed on the 3.5' wall opposite from the shower head. Is there any code consideration to be aware of?

• gsdmomof3
    7 years ago
    Re: towel warmers, I am doing a 4x6 shower tucked into an alcove (3 tiled sides). There will be a 28" door on the long side and a 55" high wall on the remaining length with glass topping it. We want to put the towel warmer on the 55" wall so we can open the door, reach around and grab the towel. Does that short wall have to be tiled? If it were just dry walled and I hang a damp towel or wet wash cloth on it on it would the painted wall eventually "-alligator"? We will be using BM spa paint.
  • acm
    7 years ago

Rather than adding your question to a four-year-old thread, I suggest you start a new thread. You'll benefit by actually getting alerted to the answers too.