Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kroze

I need advice on using cafe doors for a walk-in closet.

kroze
10 years ago
The closet is somewhat triangular in shape and too awkward for a normal door. I don't particularly like pocket doors because they tend to be left open perpetually. Cafe doors seem to be the way to go but I don't have experience with them. I need to know the good, bad and ugly on them.

Comments (302)

• bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Here are the type of chandeliers I was thinking of for Mr. K: the chandy idea was in the 'closet' with the arched doorway (no door), so probably allowed. But, Fred I was surprised to hear they weren't allowed in closets, I see pix of them in closets all the time. They probably are the type without closed doors:
  • R Robulock
    10 years ago
    I feel you, our bedroom door actually opens and hits the wall where the barn door would slide when open. I am so confused about what to do. They look so fantastic, I really want a sliding one!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Thickness has less to do with durability than the material and how it is put together. As long as kids are not running through them and trying to hyper-extend them, most doors will work.
    These sound promising for a good tight fit. http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/DOOR+HINGES/Pivot+Hinges+-+Pivot+Sets/Camtrol+Double+Acting+Pivot+Hinge
    The pictured ones are in most hardware stores for 1" thick lightweight doors.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Without going very fancy with my drawing, I quickly tried bumblebee's layout. It does not seem to work. It feels a bit cramped in the area where Gene has to open the drawers. The clothes hung around is a bit in the way.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sorry, no. Just because people do it, doesn't make it legal. It doesn't matter if there is a door or not.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can vouch for that Fred. "Code" is very subjective at times. When doing my kitchen, I was informed of codes but given the option anyway. I opted to ignore silly codes on two issues.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the pics bumblebee, I might consider that Ballard for the bathroom ceiling.

Suzanne, thanks for trying bumblebees idea. I think we will be fine with your original plan.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And Fred, I had not considered cafe doors as thin as one inch in thickness. But it does make sense to keep them as light as possible. Can't wait to go shopping for those!
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I love chandeliers above the sinks on a vanity. I don't know the rules for the size of chandelier above a vanity but the one from ballards shown above seems too big for the depth of the vanity. Houzzers, what do you think?
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fred, thanks for that pocket door pic. My husband is impressed!
  • User
    10 years ago
    As long as the edge of the pendant is 3' away from the shower, or above 8'-6" from the floor in this case. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    A standard interior door is 1 3/8" thick. Some bifold door blanks are as skinny as 7/8".
  • User
    10 years ago
    Some doors are hollow which also makes them light.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually, I think my bathroom will meet all of those requirements Fred. The center of the vanity area is definitely more than three feet from the shower and the ceiling is tall enough.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't want the cafe doors to look cheap and I think anything under an inch will look cheap!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Just making sure you wouldn't want a chandelier above each sink. I know what you mean by a thin door looking cheap. Just giving you an idea of what you might expect to find.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Fred. I think one ceiling light and two or more wall mounted lights by the mirrors would be nice. Lighting is a BIG deal for me. As my eyes fade, light becomes more important.

As I like to say, "You know you're getting old if you go to turn on the lights and find they are already on!"
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Suzanne, I still have that pesky little problem of where to mount an extendable mirror for hair grooming. I already have one, but it must be mounted somewhere that will allow for it to fold against the wall. Maybe there will be enough space on the side wall of the vanity.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Bummer, lucky for me that isn't so bad yet. The saying on the job is; Once the lights work, your done with the job.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    : )
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Have you found a place to mount your mirror in your current bathroom?
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Like you said, it is a little pesky problem. I have one mirror at home but in order to be functional it has to be installed on a wall beside the vanity and 12 in. in front of the vanity. The wall between the vanity and master closet is only 3 in past the vanity. I am not sure how to fix that problem yet.

I have found this mirror on intenet. It seems small enough that it could be installed on the front of the right wall between the vanity and the built-in:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4061842/360-degree-mirror-every-womans-dream.html

I will do some more research and more thinking, maybe I can come up with something.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Kaye, I thought of another option but I prefer to discuss it in your other thread:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-new-master-bath-floor-design-dsvw-vd~564898

I will post the latest drawing of you master ensuite and discuss it there.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That is great Suzanne. And I LOVE that mirror link. I must have that!!! Thanks
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    A corner/closet arrangement I forgot to post before, just for inspiration:
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great pic bumblebee. That is very attractive. It is interesting that it has unique hanging rods. Are there any advantages to that? I suppose you can only use them on short hanging spaces as longer ones would put too much weight on that type of rod. What do you thing?
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    I think that type of rod is available for when you don't have a strong base to attach a rod to on the sides. Or if there's no sides at all to attach the rod to. Hmmm, that could come in handy sometime, thanks for pointing that out Kroze! Oh, show Mr. K I put ice skates in this closet for him :)
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bumblebee...... you don't understand Mr. K...

Ice skates may be worse than a chandelier..... : ) Real men don't ice skate! hee hee

About the rod, I am thinking that this rod in the pic may be indicative of prefab closet units. Don't know.
  • User
    10 years ago
    We can, we just choose not to. Unless you live in Canada, then they call it hockey :).
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Lol about the ice skates! Didn't think of that, but you're right, I know men that would say the same thing. Boy, I'm batting 1000 with Mr. K.
    About those rods, maybe. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in a store that sells clothes rods. I like to know these little details :)
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Just saw your post Fred, lol again!
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Kroze, tell Mr. K I put a pair of HOCKEY skates in there for him!
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fred, people in the south don't speak ice hockey. It is a foreign language down here! : )
  • User
    10 years ago
    I thought ICE was a foreign language down there. At least the kind on the ground :)
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, that was cute Fred....... : }
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Oh gosh, I'm getting goofy, I forgot you live in Texas. I'm going to have to find a closet with a cowboy hat hanging on the wall!
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A hat would be great, bumblebee!! : )
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    As I posted on one of my other threads, I am going out of State again tomorrow for an indefinite period of time. However, I am taking my computer and hope to stay involved in these threads.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Aha! A cowboy hat rack for Mr. K!
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Maybe he'll forgive me now for the chandelier and ice skates! :)
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That will do it! Very Texas...... to the core! : )
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Yay! And one more a little more Texas:
    Off to visit my Grandbaby! Thanks for the fun!
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks bumblebee.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Kroze, I just looked at your other post. Saying a prayer for you and your father.
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again. I appreciate the prayers.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    You're welcome.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Kaye, maybe you can install these doors with bumblebee's hats rack in Mr.K's closet :)
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cute! I must have that sign above the doors also!!! : )
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Great job, Suzanne! Looks like the search for the perfect cafe doors is over!
  • kroze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I am going to salvage places tomorrow to see what is out there. I'll keep you all posted.