Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crispboston

Weird corner. Need creative ideas!

crispboston
10 years ago
Hello, I moved in my new condo my couch fits in this space a little bit weirdly, leaving this corner up for something cool. Oportunity to get creative. I am thinking, console table with baskets and a floor lamp. Asian style because i want an eclectic look. What do you think? I'd like to hear other ideas. Thank you!

also, i am in pillow and color dilema... this house is all yellow. And i want to change it. Curtains got to go as well. And that lamp. Basically the only things staying are the couch and the rug.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    CHRISICOS INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    Hello! That yellow, it is the prevalent neutral that I am seeing in rentals and new construction as well. Unfortunately it is not a neutral. Various shades of blue or plums and eggplant are options to work with the yellows.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    For the corner, how about a floor lamp with more substance? And for the yellow walls, I'm not a fan of yellow. I'd paint them right away! [houzz=
    Tripod Floor Lamp by Sandy Chapman · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Here is an ideabook for the 'awkward' area in the living room.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/ideas-for-awkward-living-room-areas-stsetivw-vs~928644
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    You need a good sized end table proportioned to match your sofa. Put a potted palm in that corner. Raise the rod for the curtains to almost ceiling height. An orange ceramic table lamp for the end table and then move the floor lamp elsewhere like behind a chair where it's useful.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    It would help to see more views of your new place. Don't mind the yellow with your furniture.
  • Ilovecolors
    10 years ago
    Do you have room to add a comfy chair and lamp? A little reading corner?
  • Ilovecolors
    10 years ago
    Maybe something like this? Love the chandelier. That would give some focus to that corner.
    Adrienne Chinn Design · More Info
  • crispboston
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! this is my first post here and I was so happy to see all this responses from you guys! thank you so much! I agree and like all the ideas. Definitely, the yellow is gotta go. I like the "more substantious" floor lamp idea, and the console with baskets under. Here is another view. As you can see, i am in pillow hell and cant decide either...

So, now if i put a console, where would that be, next to the couch, where the lamp is now? or against the wall where the painting is now? also, what do you think about white walls - orange curtains?
  • crispboston
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And, do you think this would go? i like it, but, i am not quite sure. Online shopping is not my thing...
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Could you not put the sectional on the "door" wall. Not sure which way it would go as I don't know how much space you have. You could put a sofa table behind it for putting keys etc. on when entering from the door.
    Make the focal point the other way round. Hope I've made myself clear....... You wouldn't have the weird corner and have a more functional room.
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    I've used one of these in you corner situation. Overstock has a corner shelf in walnut for $40. I've a custom furniture company that made up one in solid cherry with ll.5" shelves for 165. see: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Laminated-Walnut-Veneer-Corner-Wall-Mount-Shelf/6294214/product.html
    I also designed a hanging desk some what similar, but more stylish to the hanging storage box in a Hollywood style of curved pulls and ends.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    I think it needs something useful, otherwise it will look like an after thought. You're right, it is an odd corner, so I think the best way to address it, is to make it purposeful. A modern update, on the 1960's bar cart would look great in that corner. You could store wine glasses, and liquor in the cabinet, but decorate the top so that it hints to being a bar, but isn't so obvious. I think this one from West Elm would look great in your space.

http://www.westelm.com/products/lubna-chowdhary-tiled-dining-storage-h294/?pkey=cbuffet-table-collections&cm_src=buffet-table-collections||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • crispboston
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, the bar can be a good idea too.

Angel18432, i am adding 360 photos. I guess i could move the sofa around, but then...where do i put the tv?

Solraven, yes i'd like a planned, put together look. This corner is right next to the exit door. I kind of need a sitting place to put your shoes on.
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    An end table with lamp and an accent chair. The only place to out a beverage or book is the coffee table.
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    How about placing a side table with a lamp where the basket is, and moving the plant next to the TV to that corner. Also push the sectional away from the wall, just a few more inches
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    DEFINITELY an side table and a lamp! If you choose to paint, maybe even just use that lighter color in your rug. Cream?

Maybe the coat rack could go a little higher and a bench underneath it still? Room under the bench for basket for gloves and boots?

Cute house!
  • crispboston
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, so, side table with lamp, and plant there. Sounds good. Funny cause i had the plant in that corner before, then i moved it, and that's when i started obsessing about the console table. Now i like your idea better.
    I will move the short coat hanger inside the closet. And i was thinking on putting a big mirror (from floor up) there or a mini-bench and mirror combo.
    Thank you for the compliments on the house. It is cute, but is all yellow and it is driving me nuts. Need color palette pronto. The rug i found in home goods and i love it. It is black and "some sort of off white" color.

Thank you everybody for your help and feedback! much appreciated it! I will post photos when i get it done. Oh, i am also thinking on moving the curtain rods higher. I have quite high ceilings in this room.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you have kids, and it appears you do, and that is the door they use, make it kid friendly for them in that area, too, and not just for looks or just for company. Think about who uses it the most. It makes them feel a part of it.......oh, sorry! What a sermon there! I just feel that too often too much is for looks only.
  • Azrin Noor
    10 years ago
    Mbmv
  • PRO
    Art Geo
    10 years ago
    I have a painting in east style with fragments of metal
    gloss (oil on canvas, gold leaf copper). Beautifully gloss in a side light.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add a end table and put floor lamp behind it. Add some accent colored pots to table get a big one to fill space. Then tree I see put in corner.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If floor lamp gong get big lamp in a accent color base get drum style shade. Yes a small table that you can put two square zebra ottomans under. Place lamp on end by sofa. Other end tall pots 3. Ck, world market, pier one for some special items you like. Not to much can add to coffee table also. A rug in a color wash try peacock, very bold. Use a lot of reflective objects, like mirrors, floor ones are best tall 6 ft and frame in dark wood. Interesting lamps and chandeliers, are fun. Mix it up. Wallpaper another way to bring interest into room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Let's see more of the room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint a soft gray get samples put on wall first. Then everything will revolved around that.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On windows. Go bamboo. I see a zen vibe happening. Grass cloth on walls.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Oh. See you want rug...we can work with it.
  • PRO
    rjcDESIGN
    10 years ago
    I like the pillow on the far right and would pull the wall paint & curtain colors from that: looks like cream, orange + teal.
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    7 years ago

I always suggest a nice plant! Maybe an avocado or a lemon tree?