Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What DIY project do you wish you could do?

Emily H
10 years ago
Is there a DIY project you wish you could do on your space, but lack the time perhaps the ability to get it done?

What do you wish you could do yourself?

Reclaimed Wood Bench · More Info

Comments (52)

• makennac
    10 years ago
    I wish I could take a sledgehammer to the 1,000 sq ft of white 14-inch ceramic tile in my home and replace it with warm, rich hardwoods. Do I only get one project? Really only one? Please. If I'm really good, can I have more wishes?
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    Wood floors thoughout!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I wish I could wood plank some of my ceilings.
  • makennac
    10 years ago
    Ooh!! Picture, Margo?
  • User
    10 years ago
    makennac- I have no pictures, this is a *wish I could do* DIY list post. Maybe one day I will get lucky and get it done, then I will post pics;)
  • Cindy Quinton
    10 years ago
    I have three biggies, first off a total outdoor re-do with a covered back patio, an outdoor kitchen, and pool deck refresh. Secondly, we would like to do a master bath overhaul. And lastly, there are a half dozen checklist items like hardwoods in the entryways
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wish I could tile! I so hate the bathroom counter in our guest bath. It's tiny, so you'd think I wouldn't be too chicken to try, but I am. Will definitely have to hire someone to come help me when I'm ready. :)
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Emily, what kind of tile do you want to use? The mosaic tiles are definitely DIY. Very, very easy. What is your countertop now? Can you just tile right over the top of it?
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Right now it is some very ugly 4x4 porcelain tiles. So icky.
  • Marcia
    10 years ago
    I would like to replace my ugly vinyl flooring in my kitchen and bathrooms with ceramic tile...and scrape the popcorn off my ceiling!!!
  • yoginisun
    10 years ago
    35 year old ranch…closed in carport when house was built to make into a master bedroom leaving the laundry room off the master. 20 years later made the laundry room into a small master bath (which I love having), closed in the back porch (half walls and screened in to make it a laundry room) bathroom and porch still not complete My WISH is to finish the project!
  • mimibenli
    10 years ago
    I would like to repaint my ugly office furniture to make it look more modern and classy . I think white and swarovski cuffs (i saw them at the hardware store ,they are georgous!!!)
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    General wood work. I know the basics, got the tools can do some stuff, not as much as Id like to be able to do.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Replace the interior doors.
  • Allison Burnfield McAteer
    10 years ago
    I have a list as well. I would love to refinish my basement fire place, add recessed lighting down in the basement, build closet organizers, replace the doors and windows. I would love to be able to do all these but money, three year olds and experience with past DIY have taught me that somethings need to wait and done by someone with some skills.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Aluminium windows and doors. Mine are so pitted and ugly, would love the new powder coated ones. The other half would totally freak - doesn't even know I am entertaining these thoughts.
  • Bobbye Wendt
    10 years ago
    tile my lower level
  • Alotta Miles
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would love to add a craft room, a sun shade to a large portion of my back deck, wood flooring throughout the house, new front door, pool deck and granite countertops in the kitchen.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Hmm, I see others are having trouble narrowing DIY wishes to one or two...walk-in closet organizer and replace hallway carpet with tile. (Tile is in entry and kitchen that leads to hall).
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Roof over the deck/porch.
  • Julie Elder
    10 years ago
    We just bought this house and it's near-perfect for us, but beyond finishing all the painting (every wall in the house was a shade of pee-yellow beige that makes us cringe), I really want stark white crown moldings, starting with the kitchen! (Previous owners put up great new cabinets but left a gap at the ceiling of 3-4 inches! WHY?! I'm going to put molding up there to wrap the gap, then continue to the rest of the house...someday...I hope...)
  • aka777
    10 years ago
    I would love to remodel my home
  • idau85 A
    10 years ago
    Change my kitchen layout. Awkward configuration makes working difficult.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    Actually, this is a little bit different but I'm posting it here as an example what I thought I couldn't do. I anticipated no problem building the pergola and fence but the 4' diameter moongate was daunting. After some soul searching however, I thought "Why not?. Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

As background I have a 50' wide lot with a detached garage in front placed that way on purpose. That configuration would not only get more light into the front of the first floor (see the big bay window in the background) it would create an "inner courtyard" as part of the sequence of spaces leading up to the front door. The design problem was how to make the trip around the garage interesting. The first photo is "before".

So, for those that have doubts about their ability, don't hold back you may be surprised!
  • yoginisun
    10 years ago
    Wow, is all I can say! Love the moon gate - everything is so clean and perfect!
  • yoginisun
    10 years ago
    I'm with aka777 — a complete re-do sounds great, but since there isn't the $ for it, I'd just be happy with finishing the Un-finished projects….and there are a fewwwwwww.
    10 years ago
    My floors aren't level in certain places and they tend to slope by the walls, and roll and sag in others. It's not real bad, but it affects placement and the balancing of tables and chairs. I was told it's because the floor joists need adjusting, but I can't afford to pay for a balancing act.
  • donnamsheridan
    10 years ago
    I have a real nice size master bath with walk in shower and tub. I need a remodel to make it all wheelchair accessible. Right now my husband has to go into a small bath that we fixed up so he can get to the sink and shower. I do want to do this job right!!!
    Emily H thanked donnamsheridan
  • candygirl62
    10 years ago
    I would like to remake an antique piano into a kitchen island!
    Emily H thanked candygirl62
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    Candygirl62-As a piano player, that's really cool. Would the piano be a working one?
  • yoginisun
    10 years ago
    What a wonderful idea candygirl - find a way to do it, then show us!
  • Glena Mckee
    10 years ago
    New windows and sliders(4) all around the house. Single pane is not energy efficent in florida but they came with the house. They are on the list.
    Emily H thanked Glena Mckee
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Emily Hurley, you most certainly can tile. Go to the best tile guy on the net, maybe in the world-- http://www.johnbridge.com/ --and learn everything you need to know. I have done my own kitchen and bathroom, done rooms for my friends (and they've never complained).

And the best tip ever for grouting: y'know how you rinse and rinse and think you'll never get the grout to stop coming up? For the last rinse, use cheesecloth. No grout haze ever.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Yes! Emily you can tile!
  • catherinek708
    10 years ago
    I would remove my tired old deck and replace it with a stone patio.
    Emily H thanked catherinek708
  • Cynthia Heness
    10 years ago
    We have been working in spurts on our old house for literally over half my life. We have done very little with our downstairs and upstairs hallway except for some doors and some paneling on the stairwell wall (which is very 80's, because that was when we put it in). We still have old plaster and a peeling ceiling in the upper hall. The ceiling light is controlled by a switch at the bottom of the steps. The stairs are original to the house, and the tread are narrow. We've talked about adding a window to the outside wall in the upper hall, as the hall is dark. I truly can't stand the idea of the plaster dust involved with all the work the plaster walls would involve. No idea for the ceiling that appears to be plaster with some kind of paper covering it. I've pulled down the loose stuff over the years, painted and patched as best I could.
    Emily H thanked Cynthia Heness
  • crissybeethe
    10 years ago
    I'd love to tear out the yucky tile and grout in our master bath's shower and put in slab granite or quartz so the grout is only in the seams. I hate cleaning grout!
    Emily H thanked crissybeethe
  • Erica Bell
    10 years ago
    Although professionally and nicely installed... I would like to seriously reduce the amount of wall mounted mirror down a few hundred square feet. Yes, that is correct math, I did say a few hundred. Anyone know if there is an aftermarket use for 5 foot by 6 foot panels of mirror?
    Emily H thanked Erica Bell
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Once the puppy grows up I'd like to replace the scratched and chewed carpeting for all three bedrooms with hardwood floors...even a nice engineered wood (he only chewed the part by the doors, but I never liked the carpeting anyway).
    Emily H thanked gypsyrose17
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @elynnbell WOW! I might need to see pictures of that.
  • sherry403
    10 years ago
    I would love to finish our basement and create a bigger office space for my husband and a craft room for me. A bathroom as well. Now it's just a catch-all for "stuff"
  • dkvhaus
    10 years ago
    Create covered patio and outdoor kitchen with a deck off the master bedroom; covered front porch area, and an in-ground pool.
  • Sally Matthews
    10 years ago
    Replace all of my 2000 sq ft house popcorn ceilings! I just hate them.
  • jennlb80
    10 years ago
    I wish I could make a fabric covered bench cushion for a window seat!
  • LeiLani
    10 years ago
    tear out a wall (or two) and make my 3 bedroom upper floor into a 1 master bedroom with a larger kitchen and living space - I had to really hold my breath to make that one project!
  • Deborah Jarman
    10 years ago
    I wish I were skilled at patching walls and ceilings. Seems I'm forever wanting to move switches, outlets and fixtures; but afraid I'll end up with patchwork walls.
  • defever
    10 years ago
    I'd like to extend the porch and the landscaping is non-existent at our new house. Unfortunately hubby and I are burned out, which is ok, because we're out of money, too!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Fix the roof, replace the windows with lead light , list is exhaustive
  • lvanscoter
    10 years ago
    I have five bathrooms, a laundry room and a backsplash that need tile. Hard to get started.