Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amderk

Need help decorating my deck

amderk
9 years ago
We built this 16X20' deck in the fall and now I don't how to create a nice space and still be child friendly. I want to keep this patio set, but can move this around.

Comments (117)

• amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok here is a lot of progress to our deck.
    Still not sure which way to make our glider face.
    Also for the lantern they seem to go good on the end tables, but out of place on our dining table.
    What color or flowers would you fill the planters with?
    Comments and changes are greatly appreciated!
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    I would try these two...1) place the glider catty corner with the rug also catty corner and of course the chairs on each side. 2). Flip flop...move the glider and center the wall of the house with chairs, etc...move the tables umbrella to that corner of the deck...
    amderk thanked Libbmom
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    BTW...I like the pop of red...
    amderk thanked Libbmom
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Hi. Good progress!

Comments:

-As time goes by, you will come to find out what arrangement you like best and you can easily move the arrangement.

-For now, I would try the glider facing the yard. Then, place the 2 chairs with their backs to the deck. You can try it 2 ways and see which you like

a) chairs facing glider straight on
    b) chairs facing glider, but angled.

(This way, not furniture is to your back as you enter the deck from the kitchen)

-Lanterns are very small, which I did not realize. Yes, end tables. Too small for large table, unless you buy several more

-You need a coffee table

-You need red on the dining table. That can be solved with pillows with red in them.

-Flowers----I would be sure to include some red in the flowers. Geraniums are great for full sun. For potted plants, think "thriller, filler, spiller". One large grass perhaps, something to fill like a geranium and a spilling vine.
    amderk thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    -Unfortunately we will not be able to buy a matching coffee table anymore since they were bought when we visited the states.

-Same thing as for the lanterns-they will have to stay on the end tables I guess.

-Would you add something on the table top?

-I don't know if you saw on 2 of the chairs I have a teal pillow?

-Are my 3 pots good where they are?

-Would you leave the rest of the deck as it is?

-Will try moving my chairs around.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    2 red lanterns for dining table

I would put red pillows on the dining chairs to pull some red over there.

The rest of the deck really needs to be left open for a traffic way.

I think it is looking great! Just tweak the furniture.

You certainly can play around with furniture arrangements (I couldn't follow what Libbmom was saying, but worth a try).
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I like the 2 pots where they are.
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    LOL...Sorry CDR...perhaps it's because I am on my second glass do wine for the evening....basically it's putting the glider and chairs where the dining table currently is and move the dining table to where the glider is...or the first option is placing the glider catty corner in that far corner so everything does not seem so "squared" off so to speak...hope that makes better sense...if not...go have a glass of wine and maybe it will...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I am about to grab my glass of wine for the evening, so.......here goes.

That is what I thought you meant, Libbmom. Sure worth a try. My only concern is that the umbrella would block the view of the glider area.

The current setup lends to a more modern look with clean lines. That is why I suggested the black planters lined neatly against the deck rail.

Amderk, if you like the idea, it is sure worth a try. We will let you move furniture while Libbmom and I enjoy our wine. LOL
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So would you put red pillows on all the other 4 chairs and leave the blue pillows where they are?

I actually have 3 pots beside each other.

I actually wish I had more teal, but don't know how
  • howedd
    9 years ago
    My concern is a about safety and appreciating what you've got. To command the use of space place your main table on a diagonal near the entrance to the deck. Do not place any seating around the edges of the deck as this lowers the height one has to go to fall off, (A child climbing or standing, maybe? A very imposing planter grouping beginning with a square box shape a good 20" high with lush green foliage that is upright and dense in the very corner with a variety of planters and pots gravitating to the square planter in graduated sizes. For distinction, an out door runner between the table seating and the planter defines a place to play or walk without a slip'n slide. The color palate should consider the wildlife which may react to the signals of very bright colors. Look outward onto the view. Do not block the access to it with seating or accessories too much, just let the planter corner say who's boss.
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think I prefer the dining table closer to the door-makes it easier for suppers. We eat outside almost every night.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Put the teal pillows in the glider area. You can do that right now and see how good it will look.

Then, add red pillows or red and teal pillows to the dining area chairs. Add to 4 of the chairs and you can let 5 and 6 with no pillow.
  • mcbmd3
    9 years ago
    How about an outdoor rug under the dining set and adding a few railing-mounted flower boxes for more color. Don't know how old the children are, but if they're small, maybe a kiddie table and chairs for dining and crafts outside?
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    So try the glider in the corner catty corner
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ok tried moving things around a bit.

-Which set up do you like best?

-Would a red umbrella and 2 lanterns brighten up the dining table area better than red cushions?

-For the red cushions on the 2 chairs, can you see the reverse pattern too much? It's the only ones we have found matching our glider cushions so far.

-Can't wait to add flowers-that will look good.

-Is the patio wall beside the BBQ ok bare?
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    I would probably center the grill on that side of the deck. I like the glider catty corner as it looks inviting. Red umbrella would be nice, but if you can find other ways to introduce red that would be ok too so you don't have additional expense. I would put two of the planters where you have them now, centered between the two larger post and maybe one on the far side against railing between the table and glider. Lots of red geraniums maybe with white petunias trailing down the sides.
    amderk thanked Libbmom
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    Still think you should get some smaller pots of flowers to go up one side of the steps. First, third, and fifth step...
    amderk thanked Libbmom
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yes flowers on the steps would look beautiful, just don't want too much work with flowers for my 1st year. My 3 little ones keep me busy :)

Yes I like the idea of moving the grill in the center.

Yes I like the idea of moving the pots.
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    Wow. 3 little ones. You definitely have your hands full!!!
  • adorr
    9 years ago
    An epic deck is amazing but daunting. Mine is 14x50 and I can't put anything by the railing. Building my own L shaped seating area for it this summer. I am very excited.
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    We have a 14x40 deck. Have a table very similar to yours but it had tile grid for table top. I had it in one location on my deck that was ideal however the when the black walnuts began to fall they hit with such force they broke some of the tiles. I have been switching around deck for the past 2 summers to try and find a layout I like...hoping to screen in part of the deck next summer so putting off buying additional furniture until then...we had 2 wrought iron chairs and table that were Hubby's grand mothers...very heavy, not like some if the stuff you see in stores now, but gave those to son for his covered porch at his condo.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi. I think the angled seating arrangement looks awkward with the table squared.

Also keep in mind that the glider needs room in back of it to glide.

So, think of it this way, either go modern and square things or go more traditional. Over the summer, you can try different ways and see what you like.

Modern:

(In that case, I like the top left photo, except that the glider and chairs should be flipped. 3 pots in a row on railing as you have them now.

More traditional:

Try angling both the dining table AND the furniture arrangement. Dining table would look best where it is, but moved a little more towards corner and angled. Then move furniture arrangement a little more towards plant pots and angled.

Either way, don't separate the pots. This looks good.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Other questions:

Red pillows on the dining chairs is less expensive than buying a new umbrella.

Grill area:

I would buy tables to put beside the grill. Long, narrow, high serving tables. You could put one on each side of the grill or you could put one long one on either side of the grill. Works great for the chef as a prep area or as a serving area after food is grilled.

I too hate fooling with summer annuals. I have black pots like yours. I buy pre made arrangements and simply plop them in the top of the pots. Good drainage.
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Went and bought flowers today and I feel like my deck is almost the way I want it.

Were still debating what would be easier cushions on the chairs or red umbrella? Which do you think would decorate the dining table space better?

Also would you still add decorations on the table? Could you chow me ideas?

We decided against a table for the grill-it would be just too costly. Unless you have cheaper ideas for us?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    In an effort to save $, I don't think you need cushions on any of the chairs, including the ones with the glider. Instead, buy some red pillows.

I would look for a large decoration to put on the wall behind the dining table, when you find the right piece for the right price.
    [houzz=
    Mediterranean Patio · More Info
    [houzz=
    Patio · More Info
    ]
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Could you show me an idea of a wall decoration?

Here are some pillows, which one do you like?
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oops, or this one?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    The red ones with the pattern would be the best on the chairs of the dining table. The red and blue ones would be best on the glider area.

Set of these. Spray paint them red.

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Wall_Stars_-_Set_of_3/510/
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    After these pillows on the chairs and some wall art, would you consider the deck done?

Are these starts going to look too Christmassy? Which wall would you add them to?

You've been such great help-thank you so much!
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 years ago
    There is a lot of great advice here! I love the idea of adding plants. You can even add a kids garden that is easy to care for. In addition, you can also add some great lights that would be great in the summertime and all year round.
    amderk thanked DSC DesignWorks
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    The blank wall behind the deck. Good point about Christmas. How about teal? .......and this is just one idea......I don't know what is available in Canada.

I think you could consider the deck done for this season then.

As a practical matter, I think the next purchase could be a long narrow table along the grill area for a buffet.

Also consider a long narrow table where the plants are now with counter-height chairs looking out. This will provide extra seating for eating. Like a bar. It will become a favorite. spot. Consider, instead of a table, actually building it onto the deck.

[houzz=
    Waterfront Retreat · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    There are lights you can add to under your umbrella (next year.....you don't have to do it now).

Suggest moving the shepherd's hooks somewhere else.

[houzz=
    6 White Globe LED Umbrella Lights · More Info
    ]
  • rwt107
    9 years ago
    Hi Amderk, I like the glider arrangement on an angle better. If you could exchange rug, a larger one would have more impact, as would larger furniture. Otherwise, the biggest impact you can have now f you don't change anything are flowers!, get a variety of pot sizes and colors around your scheme, put them in in groupings around the deck. In the big ones Korean boxwoods or variegated eu ymous (sp?)--(evergreens) in smaller ones bright ivy geraniums among other annuals. Tie groupings together with similar plants. Beware of clay pots in your climate. They are heavy and will crack unless you can store them in the winter. But be sure to group them, lines of pots looks disjointed and not cozy. Colored cushions or table runner on dining table will bring life over there. I agree with poster that said no more neutrals.
  • rwt107
    9 years ago
    Here are some photos. Don't forget to consider adding height to your container gardens and to place pots descending the stairs. Have fun!,
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ok we bought a red umbrella for the table and we love it. Still don't know if we should add anything else. In one of the pictures I have the new cushions on 4 of the chairs, but I am not a big fan of them. They seem to slip all the time and aren't very handy with the kids at meal time.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think it looks great! You don't need the red pillows, especially if they slip all the time.

The rug seems small. I don't know if I've mentioned that. Maybe you could put that one by the doorway and buy a larger one for that space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Buy big woven sectional type sofa. Add two big chairs to side. Move table over by end with bar b que. Add a fire pit type coffee table to center make it big with a place for drinks to sit. Material on cushions a bold strip. In the blue, limes and white. A big10-12 ft umbrella with a very heavy duty stand to cover setting area. Adding white lights to railings and candles on table for a nighttime mood.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Do big umbrella in a bold color from cushions. Change table umbrella to match. You could also add a big outdoor rug 8x10 in front of sofa. In a natural
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    The pots are good put at entrance of stairs plant tall brush or trees.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Adding low ceramic big pots in grouping in corners. Plant colorful,flowers.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Pick colors you like then mix it up with pots.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I like all rug except #3 teal,and red can work like the glider.
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    CDR design no you never mentioned that the rug is too small for the sitting area. If I were to buy a bigger one what colors do you buy now? It is complete otherwise?
  • Stacy Adamek
    9 years ago
    The color of the deck and house are too far apart. I would stain the deck and paint the house a darker color. Obviously add some color with planters and pillows. Wall art on the house is a good idea. Maybe to create a feeling of a room it needs height by adding a umbrella or something.
  • PRO
    Amish Country Gazebos
    9 years ago
    Have you considered adding a gazebo or pergola to the deck area? Some photo ideas attached!
  • PRO
    Amish Country Gazebos
    9 years ago
    Have you considered adding a gazebo or pergola to the deck area? Some photo ideas attached!
  • amderk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am satisfied the way it is for this year. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
  • PRO
    American Home Contractors
    8 years ago

I think you should weave string lighting between the bottoms of the balusters. It looks awesome at night. Simple and low cost. A couple of potted plants or nice planters would be nice also.

• Mark & Andrea Hensrud
    7 years ago
    love the deck! how do you like the size? my wife and I are planning to build a 16x20 ft deck this summer... any recommendations after you built?

we have a built in shelter as the house will be on three sides with an overhang - on the left of the windows in that nook... this pic was taken almost a year ago, we have snow on the ground still, planted grass, no landscaping besides a few trees on the backyard (four evergreens between us and the blue house) and are planning a concrete patio with fireplace on the ground from the deck...