Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindler

Backsplash proportions need help

lindler
9 years ago
I am trying to figure out how to proportion our backsplash. We are planning on using black subway tile and luster glazed glass mosaics 1x1. The counter to cabinet edging distance is 16-3/4" and is measures 18" under the cabinet to the counter.

The designer (at the tile store) wants to do 9" of 3x6 black glass subway (brick-lay), 4" of mosaics and the rest in black subway tile (3-3/4 to cabinet edging and 5" to cabinet bottom).

I think 4" is not enough for the mosaic, and there would be
too much black. I would like to see 9" black glass subway, 6" glass mosaic, and finish was glass black subway (1-3/4" and
3"). Is there a correct proportion for layering?

The mosaic as shown is 7".

Comments (30)

• cmannconso
    9 years ago
    Get out graph paper and measure and layout your design. Color it in. This will leave nothing to chance.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    cmannconso - thanks for the idea. It helped us decide which way to go.
  • PRO
    Tuscany Builders and Design
    9 years ago
    The first thing you need to consider is the space underneath your kitchen window. If you start a row of subway at the bottom, are you able to fit 2 whole tiles under there stacked on top of each other or will you have cuts? Designers is a showroom have no idea for tile layout. I think you are going to be very unhappy by trying to mix these two materials. There isn't a simple layout that works for your kitchen with these 2 mediums. Stay with one choice, cohesion is the key to a great looking backsplash! Clean lines and uniformity make things appear larger.
  • cmannconso
    9 years ago
    The trend and easy way is only one type of tile but designing your own gives great satisfaction. It will look great. I mixed marble 1inch squares with 4inch and 6 inch porcelain tile and I was very proud of how it came out. I even placed and grouted the back splashes by myself. The picture is not great but you get the idea.
    Without the graph paper I would have been lost.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    I agree - keep it simple. Your counter has a busy pattern and doing more on the backsplash will make it all busier.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The idea I think we decided upon is to have the first 9" done in subway tile (either black glass or smoke gray - if I can find the right color), the next 4" will be the 1" tiles shown in the picture above and the final 4" will finish with more glass subway. Therefore, under the window there will only be subway tile.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, the tile guy wants to remove the woodwork under the window sill - I think he wants to do it because it will be easier for him, but I agree that I think it will look cleaner not having it there.
  • Carolyn Martel
    9 years ago
    Layout the tile taking into mind where all the electric outlets will be in the plan. If you are just doing a stripe of mosaic you want the whole outlet to be either in or out of the stripe. Step way back looking at how much you really see of the top and bottom of the backsplash taking into account how much is on your counters before you decide the height of each area.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am trying to convince my husband to move the outlets. As it stands right now, the outlet's bottom edge would be in the subway tile on the bottom and on the mosaic. I think I have narrowed what tiles we are using but am stepping back slightly to think about the outlet issue.
  • agevm
    9 years ago
    We put our outlets underneath our cabinets for a clean look on the backsplash. No extra expense from our contractor to do this and they make small enough boxes so you can't see them at all.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Interesting - undercounter outlets. Hadn t heard of that before. Did the box go into the cupboard above
  • agevm
    9 years ago
    The box is underneath the cabinet so I can plug in a toaster, coffee pot, etc. It is placed at the back of the cabinets. We have a light rail on our cabinets, so you cannot see the low profile box at all. I think the same box has the electrical for our under cabinet lighting. Our electrician put our transformers for our under cabinet lighting in our pantry so our cabinets are free and clear.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm trying to convince my husband this is a good idea. However, he has just agreed to look at replacing our stair treads as a project so I might cut him some slack on this request. While I want this project done so the kitchen is finished, I don't want to rush it and be unhappy. I am thankful for all the great suggestions everyone posted.
  • lnsdqmnd
    9 years ago
    I have black granite and tile in my huge kitchen and hate it now. Designer said it would work because of the large size of my kitchen...it is too dark...too hard to see anything...instead of creating a usable cooking area...preparing area...I have ambiance. I am going to tear it all out and do it over.
  • italk2usoon
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @ Insdqmnd - hope you don't mind the suggestion of "better" lighting, rather than tearing out the black. I have a small kitchen, but 16 cannisters, 2 pendants and undercounter lighting (with my light maple cabinets and black galaxy granite AND blacksplash(es)
    (but no photos with ALL the lighting, ON
  • PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 years ago
    The less of that tiny tile you use the better. The black subway is so sleek and clean, we don't know why you want to confuse it at all.
    Kitchens are so full of "stuff" even when we try to be minimalist, it's best to have an almost blank canvas to start with. The pic above is great proof.
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Not a fan of that tiny tile at all,too busy with your counter top
  • User
    9 years ago
    You're gilding the lily using that mosaic. I understand your thinking, you want to put you final stamp on the kitchen with something all your own. Resist. Do it with accessories, pull/handles, etc... Your kitchen will be beautiful without that mosaic. P.S., those strips have been dated for a while.
  • pagosapamie
    9 years ago
    Everyone is right. Lose the mosaic. In your kitchen black subway tiles ares absolutely the way to go. The twist is grouting with sanded antique white grout. It isn't white - it is a light creamy grey. It is a very natural looking color and will blend with your countertops beautifully. More importantly, it breaks up all that black and gives you a very on trend backsplash.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is another color subway tile - try to ignore size and look at color. My fear is using black, while it would pick up the black in the granite, Is if it will be too dark. The gray is an attempt to lighten it all. While I love the mosaic, I would only use it as a 4" strip in backsplash. I think it would be too busy otherwise. I haven't seen pictures of people mixing the two except in bathrooms (that should tell me something). I have been mulling this over and I think the reason I haven't moved forward is I'm not thrilled with what I have found. I think I could move to all subway and be okay with that. I keep thinking that the mosaic will look dated at some point while subway will be timeless. As you see, I am thinking aloud and coming around to just using the subway. So the question is whether to go with black or gray?
  • PRO
    Meyer Flooring
    9 years ago
    A kitchen splash serves a couple of purposes ; easy clean up and adding style . It should be complimentary to the colours and design of the cabinets, counter top and paint. Mosaics are a great choice as they add an interesting look and will be a focal point in your kitchen . My advice is not to use the black subway tile , just the mosaics. The black tiles will detract from the mosaics , too overpowering . The mosaic tile will be perfect as it is .
  • PRO
    Meyer Flooring
    9 years ago
    Oh ! One more idea .... Black grout , it will complete the wow factor . Make sure to mask off around the tiles as the colour pigment in black grout can be difficult to clean off surrounding cabinets or painted walls
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Latest backsplash ideas.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Almost finished.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Looking forward to the big reveal with the counter top. Nice job.
  • lindler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finished!
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Looks great! The colors work together nicey.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Looks lovely - classic - you did great. I know it's such a big decision and you only want to do it once. Congrats.
  • PRO
    Tuscany Builders and Design
    9 years ago
    Nicely done! The linear pattern works beautifully.