Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy1962

Help with Backsplash

katy1962
9 years ago
Countertops are torquay cambria quartz and I am thinking of a subway tile, possibly 4 x 16 tile white (Ames Soho collection). Any suggestions???? I have also thought about a soft grey from that same collection. (Microwave is on back order)

Comments (25)

• PRO
    dalco home remodeling
    9 years ago
    You might want to look at subway style tile.
    katy1962 thanked dalco home remodeling
  • karielen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Instead of white, I would look for something either more detailed as Patricia Colwell noted, or if going with a subway tile, a color of some type perhaps a green - maybe a bit darker than this one shown, if it works with surrounding colors:
    Best Renovation in Ontario (OHBA) over $500k in 2010. · More Info
    katy1962 thanked karielen
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. Green would not work, would greys work?
  • karielen
    9 years ago
    It's hard to tell colors online. I'm not sure of the colors in the flooring or if there is much brown in the cabinets. I would go with either a gray or a taupe, more mid range in shade. I would bring home different tile samples of both grays and taupes and check them in relation to the rest of the room to decide what looks best.
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. The flooring is not in yet and will be a mid brown hardwood floor. The cupboards are dark brown. I have a a grey, linen, sand, taupe, white and black sample from the soho collection in my kitchen.
  • karielen
    9 years ago
    I think I'd get in all the other elements first, since the floor will play a big factor and then choose the backsplash afterwards, but great idea per the different samples and checking.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I agree but I would go with real contrast between cabinets and floor.
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    By real contrast between cabinets and floor do you mean light coloured floor and not darker wood?
  • karielen
    9 years ago
    Yes, with different wood shades, it's better not to have shades that are too close, so something in a lighter wood would be preferable. I would check dark cabinets in the kitchen section on houzz with wood floors, to see what shades look good to you.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    9 years ago
    Please, no more mosaics! How about a 2x8 (not 2x6) glass subway tile in a light gray or taupe. It's distinctive but not loud.
    katy1962 thanked Design Details
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Hi, I would suggest a stainless steel backsplash
    Stainless steel tile backsplash kitchen glass mosaic bathroom tiles SSMT245 · More Info
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Flooring is already purchased and I laid a few pieces down and I now have my microwave which I am not sure about yet! Sticks out too far. How does it look to everyone else? Although I like mosaic, I do want to go with a subway tile.
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Flooring.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---nice kitchen! Here are some suggestions. I think vertical installation would (perhaps) be more appealing. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Art Deco Condo · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Rocky Unique Shapes Grey Bathroom Frosted Glass · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Modern Mosaic Tile · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Carrollton Uniform Brick Grey Mardi Gras Series Glossy Glass · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Mallin Cres - Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    North County Tile & Stone
    9 years ago
    You could also incorporate a small strip of grey glass with either a 1 x 1 or 5/8 x 5/8 to break up the subway layout. We also think opting for a 4 x 8 white beveled subway instead of the flat subway would also be a fun look :).

Best of Luck!

www.northcountytileandstone.com
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I would go a little bling in there. A black, gray, stainless mosaic. Maybe a bold black and white horizontal strip roman shade on window. Add some color on counter. great fun accessories at TJMax. Z Galleries also.
    katy1962 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Some fun bar stools. Think out of the box. Go bold color. You have a lot if dark brown. Cabinets. Is see lime green on island that would be a great accent color in bar stools.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    North tile shows a great look.
  • katy1962
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Nancy for all advice. I just purchased the bar stools, they only came in two colours but I would have liked a green. I have not done any decorating yet with colour, sort of waiting for backsplash to be done. What about the microwave/oven?? does it look ok?
  • Melissa Sylvester
    9 years ago
    we did a stainless subway tile and everyone said it looks great..
    katy1962 thanked Melissa Sylvester
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    As yr kitchen has fairly simple elements you might add some punch to yr BS
    Bisazza tile pattern (in yr preferred colour way)
    or Chevron stripe
    and others you can consider
    katy1962 thanked anne dee
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Micro look fine.
  • PRO
    Dutchess County Tile
    9 years ago
    Id go with a hand molded ( very irregular ) 3x6 subway tile
    katy1962 thanked Dutchess County Tile
  • karielen
    9 years ago
    It's hard to tell if the microwave fits or not from the pictures. I think a light gray subway tile something like this would be something to consider:
    Sudbury · More Info
    katy1962 thanked karielen