Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgfeltham

Need help with my heart pine floors

MaryGrace
9 years ago
My 100+ year old heart pine floors need help! There is a waxy film on them caused by year's of cleaning with Murphy's oil soap. I have stopped that practice but feel the need to clean and perhaps wax and buff to restore their glow. I have inherited a 1960's Electrolux Floor Beautifier with all the brushes and pads. I don't have the user manual so I need help on using this appliance to restore life into my beautiful pine floors. Sanding and refinishing is not an option as I have no sub floor plus I want to retain the beautiful glow of my Amber floors. Suggestions?

Comments (11)

• nwduck
    9 years ago
    MaryGrace: I believe I'd start with the least abrasive buffer you have on your fab appliance. Make a number of passes over it with that and see what you think.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    There should be a set of steel wool pads use those to apply wax after you have very gently washed off the film with a mixture of ammonia and water try in a hidden spot but it should work . I have used car wax on my wood floors I also have an electrolux floor machine.Them the polishing pads and then the buffers it should have that old rich polish back.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I feel your pain. I constantly run into problems with furniture restorations and/or refinishing when the owner has fell for all the propaganda from the manufacturers (Murphy's ,Pledge, Liquid Gold, etc.) about how great their product is for wood. Wood doesn't need anything special to clean it and it certainly doesn't need to be "fed". Warm water and a small amount of detergent (TSP or dish detergent) with a damp (not soaking) rag or mop is all you need.

Now for your problem, if what is on your floor is truly wax, it should be able to be removed with mineral spirits. Probably could even use your buffer with a brush attachment. Then if you want to put on a wax coat, use a pure wax compound (Butcher's wax is best, and they have an amber or white one.) Never, never use automotive waxes on furniture or floors. Most all of them contain silicone (even if it doesn't say so on the can) which is a contaminate for any future refinishing.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @MaryGrace...
    It's good to hear that you have halted using the Murpy's product.

I'd suggest using one of several products offered by DuraSeal... http://www.duraseal.com/products/

They have a Wax & Cleaner product as well as a Renovator, which cuts a lot of the "gunk" such as old wax & dirt.
    Their products are for professional use, therefore hard to find on a retail basis, but you should be able to find them thru a flooring professional in your area.

However, truth be told, many of the modern "hardwood floor experts" aren't familiar with these approaches... so don't be surprised if you get a blank stare... haha
    If you have any additional questions, feel free to drop us a line at: david@selectrhardwoodfloor.com... we're "old school" here... lol
  • MaryGrace
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do think about using KrudKutter to clean floor? Or maybe just warm water with vinegar?
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Your floor is GORGEOUS!!! Good job!
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    Muy bien!
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    9 years ago
    Vinegar cuts wax. U need to strip the Murphy's oil soap of the surface and then you can buff on ( with a white pad) Rubio monocoat UNIVERSAL MAINTENENCE OIL will be the easiest option. Buff off with another white pad. Buff off twice if not sure.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    See Last photos, floor has been done beautifully.