Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindinfocus

Need help selecting sofa that is scratch proof!

cindinfocus
10 years ago
I am on the hunt for a new sofa and really want something scratch proof and stain resistant. We have several four legged beasts and I am tired of keeping every thing covered up. Isn't there any material that can take the abuse?

Comments (290)

• User
    8 years ago
    If you have a casual or rustic style, many leather sofas come in a distressed leather. Any marks add to the patina. Our cats luckily don't bother it, but our micro dog likes to dig. Any marks she leaves blend in. We got it 8 yrs ago from Restoration Hardware.
  • sachsi
    8 years ago
    Do not cut the toes off you cat (declawing). I have 4 cats /3 dogs. Leather has been a pretty good option but not perfect. Cats need to scratch - give them options sisal scratching posts work well for mine. I use high gates for the living room to keep them out and away from non leather couch and chairs. That way there is always a room that is spotless for guests.
  • carolkelley
    8 years ago

studio10001,

Thanks for posting that link. I wondered how this bill would be bad, but now I see: too many exemptions to the ban on declawing/debarking. It badly needs some amendments to give the teeth it lacks now.

• studio10001
    8 years ago

Sachsi's post reminded me - we have an anxious pound kitty, and bought a down filled damask sofa recently,and I thought the room might need to be closed off, as well; sounds like the perfect storm, doesn't it? What I found for our little one was that a new furniture piece allowed for new habits. I keep a piece of acrylic sheeting against the preferred scratching side, ( the panel is covered in part by a fur throw over the sofa arm, and does not show) and, like cindinfocus, added another scratching post - she now has three of different heights and shapes - and that has completely done the trick. No sprays, so surgery, no troubles. She has a small blanket placed on the sofa for napping, as reward, and loves her new bed. I hope the idea opens fabric options for some others, and that it worked as well for you, cindinfocus!

• L Kohne
    8 years ago

Please, please do not de-claw your cat.. Any vet who really cares about their patients would advise against it, (I know because I am related to a vet). De-clawing is like some one loping off the first bone of each one of your fingers. Many cats suffer chronic pain after being de-clawed. Your furniture is just not worth hurting the pet you love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMip0Nngp8

• rosiesbeach
    8 years ago
    To de-claw a cat is very cruel..In fact, it's against the law in the UK. I would never do that! Try using the double sided tape and keep persevering;eventually, the cat will leave it alone and you can take off the tape after a month or so. Also I hear velvet is a difficult fabric to get their claws into.
  • PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    8 years ago

Or... just don't have cats... you get to pick whatever furniture you want! :)

• motupeg
    8 years ago

or use the plastic nail caps. I don't, but I have a friend that does. She has fun painting their nails!

• PRO
    Comfort Works Custom Slipcovers
    8 years ago

Velvet or microfibre would be the best fabric to use, but the best way to stop this would be to treat the problem at it's roots - Miss Meow. You guys might find this blog post we did rather interesting: http://www.comfort-works.com/news/how-to-keep-cats-away-from-your-sofa/

Chris@Comfort Works

• havingfun
    8 years ago

if you have not found anything - after 2 years. tehehe then I heard recently that Home Reserve is a good way to go.

• Lynn White
    8 years ago

Please DO NOT declaw your cats for the sake of saving your furniture. Think about what that means. Mutilating living animals for the sake of inanimate objects? Do you hear yourselves? Do you understand how cruel that is?

With that said, we cover our couch with a large fabric (like a thin blanket or a throw) and wash it in the washer once a week. We remove the fabric when we have company over (we crate our cats when there are a lot of people over, for their own sake - it's less stressful for them when they're in their own safe space).

• havingfun
    8 years ago

op said 2 years ago they would not lynn

• Lynn White
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@havingfun that message wasn't just for the OP, but anyone who's reading through this whole comment section for suggestions.

• Mike Wort
    8 years ago

Declawing cats is ILLEGAL in most civilized countries EXCEPT the US & Canada. Why? Because it's cruel to the animal. Educate yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8OJN4ctyo

• havingfun
    8 years ago

just think how much space we would save if we learned to read. ahhhhh....

• Patricia Kush
    8 years ago

Ok I have cats & my indoor cats have their front claws removed. There is a very heated debate over this. It does not shorten their lifespan. My last cat lived to 25 years & no behavioral problems. We tried other options but she always went to the same place & she shredded the sofa. I talked to my vet. He said some owners put their cats down instead of declawing. So he said what do you think is more humane? We do this under anesthesia & yes they are sore for a little while but it in no way diminishes their quality of life.

• Janice Spears
    8 years ago
    I have had many cats and have seriously trained them (and two of them were adult cats adopted)..
    I put alum. foil on the furniture (just at first)--they hate the sound when they jump on it---also a squirt gun with water or a water spray bottle---hit them with a squirt when they jump on a counter or get on the furniture. I swear this works--and a stern tone (not yelling and never hitting).
    Declawing a cat is very cruel - it is a natural instinct that never goes away and can lead to them urinating in unlikely place later.
  • Sherry Hedding
    8 years ago

I have 2 velvet chairs and they are the only pieces that are not ripped to shreds. Years ago I had a love seat covered in navy blue sailcloth which never had any damage. I've had cats for over 40 years! Planning on replacing everything with either sailcloth or velvet. There's also a site - I think it's Newport Slipcovered Furniture that I was considering because you can just get a new slipcover when you start seeing damage. Nice styles too!

• Kathy B
    8 years ago

Lots of great info here. Thanks everyone! For the record, though, we do provide scratching posts and one of the 3 cats still loves scratching the couch!

• Janice Spears
    8 years ago
    Cats are trainable!! This is our 5th cat and she was an adult. She trained just as easy at the Kittens. You MUST have a decent scratching post (I weight mine down with a bar bell)--most of the ones you buy are too light and move or topple over when they use them---needs to be weighted down. Also I put cat nip on it every morning (a routine she looks forward to). We praise her every time she uses it. If they do claw the furniture, spray them with a water gun or bottle. They hate water. I also put aluminum foils on the furniture when I first got this cat. It looked like the tin man exploded in my living room, but it works, says they had they noise and jump right off. Drape if over the backs of the chairs too. Between praise, foil, water, scolding (they know the difference between happy and made voices) and scratching posts your cat can be perfectly happy without clawing the furniture. It takes a little extra time, but hey, it is worth if. We love our cat and love when she sits our laps a night, which helps us to understand she he a happy cat.
  • motupeg
    8 years ago

Thanks for the idea of the aluminum foil and daily catnip!

• apolunsky
    8 years ago

Something else good to know: http://www.katzecure.com

• arvilla_trag
    8 years ago
    Microfiber suede works with our five cats, very resistant to claws, cleans nicely. Declawing is an amputation to the first knuckle. It is cruel. Many cats are never the same after declawing. Provide scratching posts/pads in each room, spray with catnip spray, and cats will prefer that to your furniture.
  • Kathy B
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

thanks. Still following :) For the record, I'm not going to declaw. 20 years ago my husband declawed his kitten and she lived a healthy 18.5 years. We adopted 2 older cats recently. 1 is declawed but the other 2 have claws. We've tried sticky paws but it hasn't worked.

• Ann Blackwood
    8 years ago

The ultrasuede sofa from DWR has not been scratched up at all. It also withstands stains and spills come up easily with Dryel stain remover. Would buy this sofa again. have had a leather chair before and they scratched the hell out of it.

• Susan Hicks
    8 years ago

Pottery barn slipcover sofas are the best. Easily clean up ... go in the wash. And if they get damaged just buy another slipcover. They also look very nice.

• Rusty Smith
    7 years ago

No, no and no on declawing. It is cruel and very painful for cats. Unless you are a diabetic and you get it done when they are kittens (LAST RESORT), you should not even remotely be thinking about declawing your cat. If you are then make sure you bring some pliars with you so on the day you bring in your cat you can rip out your own nails to know how painful it is. The healing process is brutal and many times leads to infections some which can kill your kitty. If you love your cat you will never think of the word declaw. If you do, then bring your cat to a non kill shelter so someone who actually can love him/her can take him/her in.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

DO NOT ever let a declawed cat out side! They have no protection and if your cats love you, they will not scratch on nothing! I have 3 and have no probs! Just tell them in a non threating way and they don't do it!

De clawing is so BAD!!! Pull your figure nails off and see!!

Ken

• Adrian L
    7 years ago

No amount of shouting or water bottle spraying will work: this works with dogs but not cats. We tried it for a year with two cats and they still decimated our couch.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Do you have a scratching post which they need! There are ways to stop the scratching, they are bored, mine scratch on my shoes and pants, REALLY?!! But its not on the expensive couch!! Something needs to be changed or don't spank or hard scolded when they do it. Calm talk to them each time and you should see results.

Ken

• Yvonne Manning-Jones
    7 years ago

I tell you indonesian wood furniture is the way to go. I got a couple of daybeds and had custom plush velvet cushions made. Problem solved and it looks great. You have got to be into that sort of decor though.

• kegnor
    7 years ago

I wouldn't suggest leather, I have had numerous leather chairs wrecked by my cats but I don't care because I am a cat lover! Fortunately, I have a sunroom with a couple cat hammocks and they are in cat heaven - also they love to hang out on bean bag chairs but I appreciate your question because I am on the hunt for a solution as well!

• Dianna Abdala
    7 years ago

Microsuede is a fail. Don't even try it. Waste of money. She tore the seam open and loves to stick her nails into the entire right sides of the sofa. Front, side and back.

• Linda Brown
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Not all cats scratch furniture. De-clawing is abuse. Placing scratching posts at strategic location, and keeping your cat's nails trimmed helps. A water pistol is a good training aid. I cover my sofa with a soft throw. the cats like it so much that they will only sleep on the part of the sofa where the throw is placed. Only other option--don't have cats.

• Michelle Gyder
    7 years ago

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DECLAW ANY CAT. YOU ARE NOT JUST REMOVING THEIR NAILS, IT'S LIKE IF YOU CUT ALL OUR FINGERS OFF AT THE TIPS. IT'S VERY ABUSIVE. NOW AS FOR A COUCH, I HAVE 5 CATS. I HAVE HAD A COUCH FOR 9 YEARS, IT'S MADE OUT OF 100% POLYESTER, AND THEY HAVE BEEN KNOW TO SCRATCH ON IT A LOT! AND GUESS WHAT, NOT ONE HOLE! I RECENTLY BOUGHT A LAZY BOY AND WITHIN A MONTH THERE WERE HOLES ALL OVER IT. SO THERE IS FURNITURE OUT THERE THAT CAN WITHSTAND A CAT.....NOW IF THEY URINATE ON IT, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY. THE CAT HAS A PROBLEM AND YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS.

• housewren
    7 years ago

Made a slip cover of heavy boat canvas ( can use heavy canvas drop cloth as a fabric ) well washed and dried before sewn. . My cat did not use the sofa much after I put the slipcover over the original linen. He did however like the corners of wood cabinets and doorways.

I found wide clear packing tape worked very well and discouraged him - there is also a double sided clear sticky tape available that does not harm fabric.

Bought a lot of cardboard scratch boards and even one that looked like a child's sofa - Those were used by my cat intensively.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    Leather is not cat-proof or dog-proof. If they get naughty when you aren't there, it's only a matter of time before the cat will destroy leather furniture. As my daughter.....two chairs and one big sofa. It's either cats with claws or furniture. You may not be able to have both.
  • Sherry Hedding
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I know this is an old thread but we decided to purchase mission style furniture with slatted sides AND back so that the the only upholstered surface the cats can scratch are the cushions. Any style of furniture with wooden sides and back would work but mission style is the most common. And the cushions can easily be recovered

• helbrod
    5 years ago

Welcome to my world. Latimer Alexander faux mohair is amazing. They don't touch it and scratch Marks smooth right out. But cotton velvvelvet stinks in terms of cleaning. Am looking now myself. Stick to poly velvet or smooth chenille with a little color variation or muddling...nothing to smooth like a microfiber.... scratch marks don't smooth . Trust me.

• Linda Brown
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Denim, Canvas, Duck and Microfiber. Place the furniture against the wall so they can't scratch the back--AND place a gas pedal type scratching post next to the sofa in the end where you sit. (Decalwing is abuse.)

• helbrod
    5 years ago

I vote strongly against canvas and duck ... first hand knowledge.

• helbrod
    5 years ago

Does anyone have crypton velvet? I notice that you can pull the pile thread right out to cause a bald spot easily when I pick it with my nails. wondering if that is a sign of a cheap ffabric?

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Is there such a fabric, doubt it. I have cats but lucky they don't scratch my leather furniture, but they love my wicker draw side table. Pick up an old wicker basket for them, they love it for there claws
  • helbrod
    5 years ago

Lol I got them their own sisal runner! They still like to climb up the sofa and chase eachother. I'm worried that I can pull the crypton velvrt fibers out...but they lack thumbs

PS. I just read all of this. Lots of idiots. God I love my babies... happy to sit on crappy furniture keep them happy and healthy:)

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Leather is good, just tell them off, they will get the message lol
  • fatima1958
    5 years ago
    The best option is to provide alternatives - scratching posts and a cat tree - avoid fabric that is thin and obviously shreddable - also watch your cats reaction to the furniture - if they show interest there are some products that will divert their attention, such as double sided tape on the corners - no fun to scratch - or temporary barriers (balloons work) until they move on.

Nothing is a complete solution - having pets requires an acceptance of shabby chic and it's the price you pay for their companionship. Declawing is now illegal in Nova Scotia because removing an animals limb to the first knuckle is (guess what) cruel, and impacts their health long term.
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    5 years ago

From personal experience, traditional tweed is best. My cats have destroyed various pieces of upholstered furniture, but they haven't been able to touch the traditional tweed. (I'm talking about the thick, solid stuff - it's not the most comfy on human skin, but I always wear slippers and leggings around the house anyway.)

• dbrown6547
    5 years ago

WE have four cats and have found that the Ultrasuede fabrics are something they don't scratch.

Other material they shred but not the Ultrasuede. The problem is that fabric is usually one color only and hard to find in a pretty type of material. However, it isn't shredded and it cleans up easily if something happens ( i.e. hairballs.)

• Linda Alexander
    5 years ago

I have 6 rescues and only one of them scratches the furniture. I have scratching posts on either side of the couch and she will by pass them every time and go for the couch. My dining room chairs are velvet and she loves to scratch them and has put holes in the chairs and they were $400 a piece. They get their nails trimmed every week too. If I put double sided tape on the couch she eats it which makes me nervous so I don't put it there anymore. I have just been buying cheap futon couches and throwing them away every year and I keep the French doors closed to the dining room as not to incur any further damage on my dining chairs. I would like to own an adult sofa for once though. I saw one for around $4,000 that I am in love with. I keep looking at pictures of it longingly but I'm afraid I will never get to have it. :(