Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Paper Towels - Standing or Hanging?

Emily H
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
How do you handle the paper towels in your kitchen? Are they hung under the cabinet to save space or are they on a counter top dispenser or perhaps on a built in dispenser under your counter?

Tell us! (Photos encouraged)

Comments (46)

• condomary
    10 years ago
    That 3rd pic with the paper roll under the counter looks like a great idea, except for maybe dripping on the floor when you grab it with wet hands. Have to say I haven't seen that before. My roll has to be on the counter to be close to the sink. I have no upper cabinets over the sink to attach to as I have a pass through.
    Emily H thanked condomary
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I keep my paper towels in my cupboard and out of view. It's not that I dislike the look of having them on the counter it's because I go through them too quickly if they are too handy to get at.
    Emily H thanked Mark
  • Alison
    10 years ago
    Ours are just on the counter at home. On our boat there's a built-in roll thing hanging above the sink, which I definitely prefer.
    Emily H thanked Alison
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'm going to put out a book on microwaving with paper plates and paper towels. Seriously, I'm really good at it . Doesn't work with soup.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Really going to bed this time Emily.
    Emily H thanked User
  • Teresa S-j
    10 years ago
    I have an odd kitchen with little counter space and not enough clearance between the cabinets and countertop, so for now, ours is on a stand on a table.
    Emily H thanked Teresa S-j
  • zmhome
    10 years ago
    Other: no paper towels!
    Emily H thanked zmhome
  • lucyhomedecor
    10 years ago
    On the kitchen counter. I use them all the time.
    Emily H thanked lucyhomedecor
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I don't use them, but do like microfibers cloths, and store those under the sink.
    Emily H thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    Kaplan Architects, AIA
    10 years ago
    We keep them in the pantry cabinet.
    Emily H thanked Kaplan Architects, AIA
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Tall brass and copper canister on countertop covers entire roll except for edge to grab. Would coordinate perfectly with the brass and copper pendant lights in your example photo.
    Emily H thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I had them on the counter for 10 years. Just re-did my counters and now the roll is mounted under the sink where it belonged.
    Emily H thanked sunnydrew
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    You can install them under the kitchen sink cabinet or up on the counter works.
    Emily H thanked Comwest Construction
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    Liked the cool undercounter install!
    Emily H thanked Shakuff
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mine sits right on the counter next to my sink.
  • Nicole Lee
    10 years ago
    standing next to the sink! its the most convenient!
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Lucyhomedecor...LOVE your copper backsplash! Yummy!!

For my paper towel...it's sitting on top of the radiator in the kitchen. Lays between the fins nicely! :0)
  • User
    10 years ago
    DH bought a stainless steel standing holder and I thought he nuts. Now I applaud his genius!
  • touchadream
    10 years ago
    I read about a drawer which feeds them through a slot. I want one of those.
  • User
    10 years ago
    My MIL has them mounted the way Interiors By Design does. But then she is short and doesn't have far to bend to reach them. I'm tall and find her choice very inconvenient! LOL!!!! Wherever we each choose to put them is the right place!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Nicole lee I'm afraid I do not find standing near the sink is at all convenient. Next you'll say you're barefoot. Also why do manufacturers tell us to stand up for x minutes after heating something up?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Unbleached paper towel with food on it can go in the compost.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have a tall antique stoneware crock that perfectly fits a large roll of paper towels, white only, never a pattern! They are out and easy to get to but disguised.
  • Depo
    10 years ago
    I keep them in a cabinet next to the sink. I rarely use them. I like microfiber cloths and bar mops instead.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Standing. On the same chrome stand thing I bought at IKEA a thousand years ago. It's nice because I can move it where I need it. But I try not to use too many paper towels.

@Depo SD - LOVE bar mops and microfibre towels.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Either, depends on the amount of room you have.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    We have little counter space and for a year,I had the towels next to the sink, but now they are mounted under the upper cabinet...hate the look and we are using more. I think the next step is to remove the towel holder and go to microfiber cloths as others have mentioned.
  • Mary Jo Bibby
    10 years ago
    I quit using them a year or more ago. I get along fine with microfiber cloths and rags.
  • Joyce
    10 years ago
    On top of the counter for easy access. We tried the under the kitchen sink thing but always bumping someone out of the way to get to the paper towels. I have limited counter space in my kitchen but the paper towel holder is a weighted marble and takes up little space on the counter next to the sink. We use a lot of paper towels, as commented by others, so I wonder if microfiber cloths are the way to go for us. With 14 family members coming for Christmas this year I requested they bring what else................paper towels!
  • Grant Ezell
    10 years ago
    Mounted in the cabinet above the microwave. There is always unused space above your spices.
  • bjens
    10 years ago
    Ours are attached vertically with a holder to the side of the frig. Main thing is to keep them in the same place so my little spillers can clean up after themselves!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Voted Other ... than options above. When my kids were young, I didn't want them to use the paper towels for small things and throw out. I didn't want to waste them. I designed the kitchen for a space to hang on the inside of the pantry door, out of sight and up high. I only use them for windows, glass, mirrors and very bad messy ugly spills.
  • benniec4s
    10 years ago
    What is UP with the 'Roll" of paper towels, anyhow! I would love to see paper towels dispensed one-at-a-time like tissues are dispensed from a tissue box. it could be stationery or moved around your area at will... this could be mounted vertically or horizontally anywhere. or sitting on the counter or a shelf - even installed behind cabinet just under the sink...with only the 'slit' showing and the towel protruding enough to be grasped by user - what is up with the 'Roll" anyhow??? TIME to reinvent the paper towel!
    OR...consider some adaption of the motion-sensitive dispenser found in public rest rooms..you could even 'hit' it with an elbow or wrist if your hands are drippy.

It would be practical to routinely eep paper towels (also) in the bath area. This would be greener than laundering hand towels and washcloths all the tine.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    I have the standing on the counter one that way I can move it around if need be.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    i have them on the counter in a holder.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Under upper cabinets in every kitchen I lived in.
  • sdtjl1010
    10 years ago
    Under the upper cabinets. It works for me.
  • Amani Omari
    10 years ago
    I prefer both ways where i like my towels hanging dear the sink to quickly dry my hands or grab it to dry the dishes .. and kitchen paper rolls on the counter for easy access as im working around in the kitchen both must be accessible for me.
  • anneadam
    10 years ago
    Under the sink - my kitchen can be seen from the living room and who wants to see paper towels?
  • ducks43
    10 years ago
    I keep mine on a roller attached to the inside the pantry door. Out of sight, and handy to use.
  • PRO
    Railroadware
    10 years ago
    At Railroadware we and our guests prefer the countertop. The Rail Anchor TP Dispenser can be moved around too making it more user friendly.
  • patatas
    10 years ago
    I'm another "other" - I find I do want a roll of paper towels so there's one around for certain messy jobs, but in order not to overuse them, I think it's better to keep that roll where it's not too handy!

Now I'm going to look for the "what would you add to your kitchen" post, because this reminded me that one thing I never see accounted for is a basket for used rags and towels!
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I say under the cabinets, hanging. Out of sight, but there when u need them :)
  • shanandee
    8 years ago

I know someone who has built many houses, she recesses the holder up into the bottom of the upper cabinets, out of sight but handy.

• User
    8 years ago

Geepers, this thread again, it's on a roll, lol.