Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baldwinarchitect

Aging in Place - Empty Nest Ideas - What are your ideas?

What are your best ideas for an Empty Nest Home so that you can live there the rest of your life, making it affordable, accessible but still have all the freedoms we have had all our adult lives.

Would you prefer to have a suite for a care giver to help you once you reach that stage in life?

Where would this extra Suite be at, attached to the house or separated from your main house?

If you build something that is multiple floors would you have an Residential Elevator?

What other ideas do you think would make the best Age In Place Home?

Comments (85)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have a new appreciation for linoleum or vinyl flooring for kitchens and baths, as my elderly aunt has them in her home, and it's the best for her walker, for cleaning and maintenance, and possible falls, as well as dropping dishes without breaking them. I don't think I'd want a wood or tile in my kitchen or bath when I am at that stage in life.

For me, I would want all low maintenance materials such as linoleum or vinyl floors, in addition to the standard safety features mentioned in this very interesting discussion.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Honestly, I think one thing is to stop thinking of it as aging in place - as pointed out, a huge number of accessibility friendly features become a huge benefit if you have something like an accident and are temporarily disabled, and that can happen to anyone at any time. Heck, some things like "hidden" grab bars in the shower and bath (the ones that aren't obviously grab bars) might prevent an accident.

Another thing is to keep in mind when planning adaptations that universal design guidelines and the like are really very generic. They are intended to be guidelines, after all, not an individual person's ideal arrangement. With that in mind, make sure you understand why the guidelines are as they are, and consider if you think that will work for you. (If you are a larger person, for example, will wider doorways be wide enough or should you allow a couple more inches?)

Also keep in mind that your needs may well change or be other than what you expected. Will your house have some flexibility so you can make additional changes or swap the use of rooms as needs dictate? If you have work done, is it done in a way that will make future modifications more difficult?

What about simplifying everyday tasks, even the ones you don't expect to do yourself? If you have to have a handyman come in to help then you're going to get more value for your money if it isn't a big headache to get things done.

I'm not that old but my late husband was disabled and used a wheelchair and after our house hunting fun with him, I tell all of my friends to think of these things at least a little when considering a home they plan to stay in for a while. They may not want to go all out, but if someone does get hurt it'll make a difference to have at least one floor that is relatively manageable with limited mobility. (Usually this means at least a half bath and a room that can be shut off from the rest of the space as a temporary bedroom. For short term if you must you can take sponge baths if no shower is available, but it will make such a difference to how you feel recovering if you have the option to do so at home.)
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    We're going to a 3-gen home next spring. Master on the main with ensuite for us (mid-fifties but Time marches on) with my son and his son in the two upstairs bedrooms sharing a Jack and Jill full bath. We were waiting for my son to arrive from the States to buy so that he and his son could be part of the house hunt but have found a near-perfect home that we all agree is as close to perfect as it can get. They arrive in late spring '14 so if the sale goes through we'll spend the rest of the winter making some changes...

As my husband and I both are beginning to deal with arthritis, removing thresholds at doorways and making the ensuite shower a roll/walk-in are high on our list of renos as is moving all of the power points to waist high positions. We're taking advantage of the huge side garden to extend the master bedroom into more of a suite/granny flat configuration to include two areas - one for 'sitting' that will include a very small kitchenette with a larder fridge ON the worktop instead of under, and one for my sewing/crafting (husband gets the rather fancified shed for his study retreat:)

At the same time we're going to be adding point-of-use tankless hot water heaters (electric) at all the taps (both bathrooms and kitchen), adding/changing the grade and width of stair risers inside and out, installing new lighting and an intercom. We prefer to use multi-fuel stove w/back boiler for heating so that will be going in but at a raised height to make fueling the system easier on our backs.

In the kitchen we're installing a wall mount oven with a horizontal drop door - we'd looked into the vertical opening units but after I dropped a roasting pan onto our current horizontal drop when my shoulder gave out. That horizontal drop door caught the roasting pan thereby saving the Sunday roast so the vertical open door thought went out the window. We're looking at dishwasher drawers as back savers, and the typical UK under-worktop fridge and freezer will go up on the worktop.

We're also thinking about installing a stairlift but because the master is on the ground floor I don't think we will. We could if needed though because the stairway in the house we've an offer in on is wide enough - making sure a stairway is wide enough for a lift chair install is important to keep an aging-in-place reno budget-smart.

There are several threads here on Houzz regarding aging-in-place reno/new builds and every time a new one is posted I get more great ideas to add to my list of 'must-haves'.
  • PRO
    Cowart Group Architects
    10 years ago
    Pirate foxy, All these things are true and "Universal Design" is just that universal. Don't forget about children, small size and jumbo size are both compromised by typical construction.
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    I live in an old (100 yrs) 2-storey. It had only one upstairs washroom. I figured that, as I got older, I would have to get there faster and more often. So I wanted a bathroom on the main, but my house was not configured for this. So I had an addition built even though my kids had left. Main floor now has pre-existent living room/dining room & kitchen. I added a bathroom, laundry room, sunroom that can be converted to a bedroom if need be (window coverings are blackout - it has 8 windows now so I can enjoy the southern Saskatchewan sun). I have a 5 x 5 side room, being used now as an office but that could be converted into a closet (there is also a smaller mud room closet). Bathroom is walk-in shower with a bench and bidet type toilet. Shower is large, so glassed in with no door at end. There is a minimal lip to step over (low enough that it could be made into a ramp if necessary). Deck stairs outside are what I call my "walker stairs" - lower rise and double width. They are a Godsend even now as I am quite short.

I plan to live in this house as long as possible, so, if I can't make it upstairs any more (I now have an exercise coach to build strength, flexibility and balance - an expense that I can't really afford after all this building, but that I call my "personal renovation"), I plan to bring in a care-giver ultimately who will have 3 rooms & a bathroom with tub and shower upstairs, and full use of the kitchen downstairs (and the basement if he/she wants it).

Also took into account the terrain and amenities in the area, and ease of access for now and for later with minimal or no use of a vehicle. This house is perfect, and with good neighbours.

BTW: I have appropriate grab bars in the bathroom, including one to exit the shower, and the stairs to the deck are shallow enough to be converted to a ramp fairly easily. Now, if only I had lower cupboards.

Only problem is that I am currently house poor paying for all this on retirement income.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wherever you are in life, age-wise or other-wise, there is no reason to put up with a home environment that can't accommodate your needs. As one other contributor commented about the broken ankle - I've had that experience as well, and I rely on that event to remind my clients that it isn't always about old age or a permanent disability; it's about function, and there are so many ways to alter your existing home with simple tools and well designed products. Obviously grab bars (there are some very nice looking ones today), good lighting in the right places, radiant heat for the bathroom floor if you're replacing it, very low-pile carpet, and appliances with safety features.
    I have personally found that as my 83-year old mother continues to decline in health, she will grab anything that is in her path - she doesn't know if it will support her or not, so make sure that unnecessary objects are removed, and furniture, fixtures and accessories are placed so they don't become an accident waiting to happen.
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Julie Laney, for your comments. I especially appreciated your last paragraph as that is something we don't always think about. I am one of the few people who put heated floors in and don't particularly like them. Be sure, if you are going to install them, that they cover the full expanse of floor and, if possible, have radiant heat. Also that they don't need 24 hrs to heat up. I always wear slippers with a non-slip bottom at home, so I good to go. Also, I don't have carpets and area carpets are either large with heavy furniture on them or small enough to remove as I get older. Floors are smooth (wood and non-slippery tile) throughout the house. My grab bars are in a colour that match my fixtures (you don't have to go with plain chrome).
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Flgrandma, I hope so to. But you should plan for it, just in case.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Don't know if anyone mentioned yet, but an intercom or monitoring system would be on my list,too.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    So many challenges here are being faced by folks with their parents. That tells me Im pretty sure I might be on the right track by thinking I will be going into a CCRC environment when I am at the CCRC minimum age. I have found the minimum age is 62 and I'm not there yet. I don't think I should "kid myself" into thinking I can do this alone. Listening to the comments here, I also know that I don't want anyone to have to worry about what to do with me either. I don't want to be a daily consideration for anyone. I'm not even sure I can hire good people anymore let alone when I'm older and more easily taken advantage of. Even if Iwas married, I would want my spouse to have this security assuming some day that they might be alone. I've seen and worked in the medical field enough to witness what a discharge from a hospital looks and sounds like. The social workers are searching for "an opening", a bed, ANYWHERE!!! I put all this together and realize that my BEST insurance, I'm thinking, is to get into a CCRC as early as I can. I can get my home while I am young enough to actually take avantage of the "buy in" expense, get the guarantee that the price will not increase, that as I age and my needs change that I have made a wise choice and that the care I need will be afforded me in the place I chose for myself while not under any duress. I can start out in a nice villa as an independent person then "advance" into assisted living and then into the skilled nursing (aka nursing home) part of it. EVERY WAY I LOOK, IT'S ALL A RISK. I could buy into a nice CCRC and get run over the next day or the place becomes a pig sty in 10 years, who knows? I'm in that "crossroads" point in my life and I'm trying to make the best decisions FOR MYSELF WITHOUT DELUSIONS. I've got a few years to get myself together but I understand there may be a waiting list so I want to be ready and I want to be able to be choosy and say "no thanks" to lesser options in a pinch. I have a house with an attached apartment that I bought 20 years ago with this scenario in mind. I'm not sure that's going to be "enough" anymore. Its not going to manage itself and I'm not sure I'll be of sound mind.. This is MUCH to think about. At least I am within 5 mins of 2 major hospitals and doctors, shopping necessities and a single story. I would suggest people buy close in and build that apartment. It's good for rental income at any age and resale. Those are the biggest recommendations I could make to anybody. Instead of a $25, 000 kitchen remodel, build an apartment for income or in-home care. That's more security no matter what happens. You won't loose money on that investment.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    One thing about in-home care is that you should look into what the standard arrangements actually are in your area. With the care assistants my husband had, a full apartment (even one with just a kitchenette) would have been wasted money because the work schedule they worked meant that they weren't really living there - they had a home elsewhere and just needed a bedroom and bathroom for the times that they were 'on' overnight. (Can't remember how we handled meals, but I know that we considered putting in a kitchenette and decided not to.)

We did also find that some care agencies had specific requirements for what was provided in the way of accommodation for the care assistants. So while you do need to allow space, you should make sure that what you're imagining is actually what would be required/appropriate.

(Now, if you think there's a chance that a relative would be willing to help out, or if you're younger and preparing for parents to potentially move in, I would totally go with an apartment type set up. If I had the space I would plan for that sort of thing in any property. There are just too many scenarios now where that kind of thing could be useful - either to generate income if you want to do that, or for various friends and family situations. If nothing else, you have a really really nice guest suite. But speaking as a younger person - I know a lot of people who have jobs and are doing well, but the option of moving home to an apartment set up would make so much difference to their financial situation, because of how ridiculous student loans can be. The folks I know who've done that, some of them pay rent and others help out around the house in lieu of rent and just pay utilities, and usually it works out pretty well, and better than moving back in to the family house properly because there's still the separation and independence.)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    At the time of purchasing this house, I actually had my mom in mind. She was terribly afflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I considered a number of ways this apartment could function. Truthfully, it has been a blessing to have and have used it over the years to help friends and even foster some animals in rescue. Later on, it turned into office space. Hey, it's a GREAT MAN CAVE! Later on, it might be live in help for me, who knows??? But it has ALWAYS been useful and has been at least a corner of a security blanket regarding in home health care. Being close to hospitals, I could probably attract someone who wants mostly a live in home care job but also be able to pick up a couple of shifts at the nearby hospital part time. I am so glad I do have this. As previously stated, THIS is where I would put my money if possible instead of a fancy kitchen update. @Pirate Foxy, I was thinking in terms of private employment, not necessarily through an agency.

IF YOU HAVE AN AGING PARENT, consider building onto THEIR home if you can't build onto your own. If they are stubborn and insist they are staying where they are, THINK ABOUT IT. It's a great investment no matter what. They can trade it for handiwork/yard maintenance or maid/cooking. The possibilities are numerous.

Mine is attached to the rear of my garage with a private side entrance. However, there is also an entrance through the garage. The laundry could be shared in the garage. It is nothing fancy but it's there and has always served a purpose.

If I had grown children, that move back home scenario would work too.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Suggest a COMBINATION LOCK on front door. My step mom has one and she tells me she has it on file with the fire/emergency agencies and they told her they do keep those. She is surrounded by other elderly people in her neighborhood so maybe they do. Sounds like a good idea. I know she doesn't have to give all of us keys :-) anyway!
  • KD
    10 years ago
    @bsellers1394 - Depending on where you are, even with private employment there may be rules that have to be followed, and if you're hoping for health insurance to cover any of the cost then that adds complications. The key is just to try to remain flexible with your expectations, I think, and consider how a space might be used if your anticipated plan doesn't work out. The care you imagine might not be available, you might need a different level of care, your mobility might not be what you're expecting, etc. If you make arrangements that are somewhat flexible then you have the best chance of getting a situation set up that actually works well.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @ Pirate Foxy, Really? I did not know that...I guess that's a two edged sword, isn't it? Kinda like the" best laid plans of mice and men"? And who knows what ANYTHING will be like when we get to that point! But I'm TRYING to plan! :-/
  • PRO
    Cowart Group Architects
    10 years ago
    I can attest that a well designed, integrated, Universal Accessible design has a higher resale in a retirement market.
    The combination lock is a great idea. I needed to check on my elderly father after he didn't return my calls after about 12 hours. Our plan had been to leave a key under the front door mat. It wasn't there when I got to his house! Luckily the garage door could be manually opened and once inside the garage he had not locked the house door. I found him, haven fallen in the shower/tub, in shock, unable to get out and freezing cold. Of course I could have broken in. That was a huge scare!! We got him a "first alert" when he got out of a three day hospital stay. We almost lost him then and there!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @Gerald, really close call that could have gone either way. I know your heart had to be racing and weak in the knees afterwards. Yes, my step mom falls. Even when my Dad was alive, he could not lift her. I think that hurt his pride. Seems a bit of sadness touches every part of this aging thing. YES THE PRESS NUMBER COMBINATION LOCK HAS BEEN GOOD FOR HER TO HAVE. They have them at Home Depot for example. If you can't picture it, I can help you locate SKU numbers. Let me know. Regards
  • PRO
    The Baldwin Architectural Group
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gerald, always scary it seems. I would have done the same thing. I recall that happened with our grandmother when she lived with my mom. She had been trying to take care of her and Grandma fell in the bath tub too.

It is amazing to see all these new security systems that are even opened with just the finger print or combinations lately. Plus with all the other technological elements we have these days with camera systems and remote controls, hopefully we can keep coming up with good solutions.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    AND they OFTEN have only one true exit in case of emergency Any other entrance "they" have managed to block it one way or another. NOBODY should have ANY type metal bars on their windows OR just leave hurricane shutters on year round!!! Honestly, I get so upset when I can not REASON with "them". They do not realize how they cause ADDITIONAL worry.(she is all I have left :-( now ) Sometimes I wonder about these storm doors, so called security bars and these things made to keep us safe...just end up being an impedence and hazard.

My mom built a brand new house in NC. It seemed to be the norm in that area to have small windows up too high. It was a brick ranch with no real exit from the area down the hall where the bedrooms were. I'm sure she thought the extra wall space was great to have...or reduced heating cost..or maybe just never gave it a thought at all but my sister and I spoke with her about putting in another door down that hallway or off the master bath or something!!!! Nope...never happened. I had a blue face often aside from the concussion I got from banging my head against the wall!!! Parents, please!!! Can you help your kids not pull their hair out? If you have a child that CARES and TRIES to help you, don't be a stubborn horse's patootie.

It's a good thing, I guess, that I have no children, no nieces or nephews or any step children. There is no one to even worry about me. The insanity stops with me! I would probably be just like my mom :-) Both my folks were HARDHEADED!
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    My mother insisted that she didn't need grab bars or extra rails in her house. My sister took her to her house for a few days. While she was gone I came over with an electric drill and a stud finder an installed rails and bars over her entire house and the best part of it, I didn't have her looking over my shoulder while I was doing it. I don't think she thought she needed them because she hadn't fallen yet and she didn't want holes in her wall. She was able to live in her own house her entire life.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    @bsellers1394 I can feel for you what you are saying. Often they have the money for these projects but refuse to spend it. We put a door in a bedroom for my Mother in law so she could let her dog out into a fenced in back yard. It was her Christmas and birthday present for the year.
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Wow, more take-aways! Combination locks, panic buttons, two entry/exit points including windows all just went on the list. Over here the two exit points and windows are important points to add to the list as many homes in our area of NE Scotland have one entry and windows with only a slim opening at the top or side.

The house we've on offer luckily ticks the exit and window want boxes but we almost bought one that did not - we made an offer that was accepted but just before the sale was completed one of the granddaughters stopped it saying she'd not been consulted.

WHEW that sale fell through because soon after our life took a huge turn. My son divorced-got custody of his son-was offered a job over here-said he wanted a 3-gen home with us after the move to the UK. The house we have put in an offer on is one we're hoping will stay in the family through several generations - with us as the first 'elders' to age-in-place there.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @Sunnie...just to say I hope you get great news today about your offer! Let us know! :-)
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    10 years ago
    Have to share a great story - a month ago I attempted to talk a perspective client, who's husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer, out of installing a bathroom in the slab on grade basement of their '40's home with steep stairs to the basement. Her idea was create a living suite for her husband in the basement, she herself is 72 years old and intends on caring for her husband herself at home for a long as humanly possible. She stated that she appreciated my insights but that she really wanted to go ahead with the install of the bathroom (note we would have to cut open 10 square feet at least of concrete and that the bathroom would not be spacious enough to allow a care taker much room to assist the husband). 36 hours later I received a phone call from the wife stating that she had thought about my suggestions and that she was planning on calling a real estate agent to help her find another single level house. I was so relieved.
    Yesterday I received a phone call from a real estate agent representing the couple informing me that they had found a house and would I come look at it with them and decide what needs to be done to it to make it future proof. I can't tell you excited I am!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    That is wonderful that the wife listened! You really must have had a way with her. Bless her heart...I swear it makes brings tears to my eyes. Don't you just know the weight on her shoulders is heavy? I hope she has help to declutter and get her settled in with him. She sure is trying to take care of him, prepare and face some hard truths. I'm sure you will make it a better home for both of their futures. Thank you for whatever you did and whatever you will be doing. WOW. ..hmmm . I'm sorry she's having to do this but...I'm glad she has a good person in her corner.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I use a portable phone here and there around the house. Where ever I hang up is where I tend to set it down. I Florida, it is SUGGESTED that you have one plug in land line. We keep it in our hurricane preparedness box . In the 90s ppl had land phones in their bathrooms. As much as I try to keep track of my numerous locations and batteries, well, its constant. When I think about bathrooms being first location for majority of falls to happen and the smart thing to do is to have a landline anyway and even if they had a life alert, they may not have it on...its just seems like a good idea and can't hurt. Hopefully they could reach it. It is an old idea with a new thought. It once was a "luxury", now good sense approach.
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Bsellers1394 - during Hurricane Ivan I spent 18 hours huddled in the bathroom with elderly Boxer dog, son, and grandson. Having a landline outlet in the bathroom is a very smart idea since the bathroom is usually where people shelter during storms and then become trapped in there by debris. We were lucky, never lost the mobile signal and no debris trapped us in there but a landline would have been nice in case we had.

Btw, the offer on the house has been accepted but until we close and the keys are in our hands I'm not trusting it's a done-deal. Buying a house in Scotland is rarely the fairly straight-forward experience it is in the States!
  • User
    10 years ago
    sunnie2day: I'm so glad to hear that someone is truly thinking ahead!
    and JP: nice going on being bold enough to get those grab bars in; some folks just get a stubborn idea in their heads and won't have it any other way, but in the end will appreciate what you have done.
  • User
    10 years ago
    My husband just had each hip replaced. His time off work will be a total of 6 months- he's 64. He's been a electrician for 40yrs. I already had one small job for him while he's been home. I can't think of another job right at the moment (: To much togetherness happening at 1807 Henry Avenue- 4sure!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    FRESH AIR: I can attest that crank style windows (casement or awning) are the way to go!!! Sash windows can be so difficult to operate if you're not strong enough, tall enough or if you have a sink, counter or piece of furniture in the way. I can't get double-hung windows open half the time!!! I really enjoy fresh air between my ears when the weather is nice. It helps keep my mind clear ;-) I think being able to have an accessible porch and functioning windows would be significant for mental health.

(BTW: include a hatchet in your hurricane box so you can beat your way out of your barricaded area after the storm!!! Just another lesson learned)
  • PRO
    Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
    10 years ago
    If there live some old family members, it may better have it. It good for walking.
  • 2catspainting
    10 years ago
    Where would this extra suite be? NOT where would this extra suite be AT? Please, please!
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I am currently going through this with my parents (both 89). They sold their one story home in another state and moved into an independent facility that offers them their own apartment, but restaurant-style food service is available (in their rent) for all meals. They also have transportation to there doc's offices and shopping. Also, housecleaning and all entertainment is included in rent. It is a 9 acre facility with a nursing facility at the rear of the property should one of them require it. It would be close enough should one spouse stay in the apt. and the other need medical attention. Also, there is home healthcare on-site for extra charge. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,with all the amenities I just listed, the MOST important thing is a large walk in shower. My parents DO NOT have that, but instead they have a cut away bath. My in-laws are 10 years younger and I am pleading with them to get a walk in shower installed before the need it.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    I think we're going to see more and more level entry showers as people discover how nice they are. I'm in my 30s and I've used them and I love it - particularly the ones that are large enough to have a little shower chair/bench. Even if you're stable on your feet, it can be nice - when I'm sick I've gone in and just sat on the bench to have the benefit of the humidity and get semi-clean without having to do all that standing up effort. :)
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    A neighborhood where I can walk to things like grocer, bar, drug store, restaurant, coffee shop. the more i walk, the younger i'll stay . . . a mixed use community so there are eyes on the street / new young friends for me to meet and engage with / a community that I can stay a part of despite my advancing age. Location, location, location.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    @libradesigneye - The sad thing is that so few places really have walkable options these days. One of my friends was house hunting and his wife can't drive due to a previous injury so they absolutely needed a place with good public transport access but also at least SOME local amenities, and it was so difficult to find. I mean, some suburbs were nice from a transit point of view, as long as you were going where the commuters wanted to go, but good luck with any local shops. Urban areas might have the local shops but limited transit, or else where in areas where they didn't want to buy due to crime rates and also just constant traffic. (Like close to downtown - there are some not too bad areas but they're awful if you have a kid because there's no where to play and the streets are all constantly busy.)
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    I guess I lucked out 36 years ago when I found my current two-storey home. It is near amenities (interesting shops, restaurants and coffee shops, a 15 minute walk from our downtown core), and is two blocks away from the river that bisects our city. It is also two blocks from a public school one way, and a high school the other way (when we bought, we had young children). It is near a cinema that also does live theatre, several pubs and bars (if you are so inclined), a senior's centre and is in the middle of mixed, eclectic and interesting residents - from business owners to musicians and artist, professors to postal workers. It is inner city, but highly desirable as it is not far from our university. The terrain is fairly flat, but has hills if you want the exercise. It is an inner city, older neighbourhood (my home is 102 years old) that is as safe as any other in town. (Being central is good if you don't drive anymore and need to get somewhere as it is usually "on the way" for someone.) Is it any wonder that I built an addition even though I am now on my own? One that will let me age in place and live in this prime neighbourhood for years to come.

In the meantime, it is time for politicians and policy makers to realize that there is an aging population that will need care (sorry to get political).
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A lot of these thoughts have to do with where our "idea" to build our next home will be. We will place it within a "Mixed Use" area. It would be really great if transportation options were available too but it seems that we're die-hards here in the U.S. when it comes to those options. We love our "individual & Independence" options of our cars even when there could be ways to handle this and take a lot of traffic off our streets. And I'm not saying I could live without having that option at this point in my life because of the routines I have to handle each day. But there are ways we could add these options. Hopefully we will come up with more options in the future.
  • pdk920
    9 years ago

Thanks for this discussion. I'm 76, live by myself and I'm currently planning to enlarge the small main floor bathroom and move the laundry appliances up from the basement in hopes of being able to stay here a while longer. (My mother lived to be 95 and died at home in her own bed. I'd love to do the same!)

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like the same way a lot of us would like to handle this stage of life. But definitely not easy. A caretaker is usually a must once we reach a point where we can't always handle all of our needs.

• PRO
    El Dorado Furniture
    9 years ago

We all baby proof the house at some point. Getting the house ready for when you get older mas as much sense. Having a place for a caregiver sound ideal, specially if you need to take medication at night and need to be reminded of certain things. Most of us don't want to think we will be old in a blink, and our houses might not be ideal to suit the needs, or to freely move around. But besides the accessibility of your home, it is important to think about the peace that the colors, decoration and furnishing will bring. And the view... It will be great to spend the rest of your days looking at something nice like a mountain or the ocean. That will bring happiness. And memories.

• Milly Rey
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We don't send our family to a home if at all possible. My grandparents cared for their aunts and parents. My parents cared for their. Yes, we had professional help--a 40-hr-a-week nurse's aid AND an aid who came evenings to get my grandfather into bed. That was budgeted for, and honestly, it was cheaper than assisted living for 2 people, anyway!

My brother is partially disabled but is unemployed by choice. I've given him jobs. He's refused to do them. So now I've made it known that when the time comes, because he's made his choices, I'm sending him to a home, not caring for him. We need to save for our retirement and for our children, not for a brother who had sponged off others his entire life. Sad, but you have to draw the line.

Anyway, I'll be adding a 1200sqft suite with complete kitchen/1.5 baths/etc. that's 100% handicap accessible for my parents. They'll split their time between that and their own house until they need more support or decide to pick up an RV-centric lifestyle, and then they'll move in permanently and reimburse me for the house. A caregiver could live in a basement suite, if needed.

If we have kids that are local, we can hand over the main house (which will be over 4000sqft) to them and retire to the handicap-accessible space. Honestly, we could do that just if we wanted to downsize but still wanted to enjoy much of the place that we've created.

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Milly, I have a brother that I'd describe almost exactly like that. He is only 57 but he lives with his twin brother and basically takes advantage of that. He has married twice and divorced without ever having any children. So his only caretaker at this point in his life is his twin. He will provide a little work here and there but there is no way I'd let him live in my home. They're both very heavy smokers too, so it's hard to say how that will turn out.

I love my family and care about them but so many times people make bad choices in life that you just can't change them.

• pdk920
    9 years ago

These are decisions we all have to make for ourselves. I've lived in my home for 45 years; I love it and will stay as long as I'm able. My kids grew up here, but what they really love is the rural home my parents built and where they spent summer vacations. We're putting in an organic farm there which one daughter currently manages; the way things look now we'll all retire there sooner or later. I'm supporting both places now, and investing for improvements for both. My girls, granddaughters and their families will be sure I have what I need if that becomes necessary.

I have a lazy brother too, so I understand, but at least mine pays his half of the bills.

I agree, it's very good to plan ahead.

• PRO
    All-Ways Elevator INC
    8 years ago

If you are looking into a residential elevator, or a platform lift check out our website. we want to help you make your home more accessible.

• Betty Smith
    7 years ago

My husband has advanced Parkinson's disease and we've found that wide doorways, a roll-in shower, and a wheelchair ramp are essential early on. An open floor plan makes a big difference as narrow turns are a fall hazard. We are struggling with the problem of space for a caregiver. An apartment on a separate floor with a private entrance or a tiny house on the property would be ideal.

• PRO
    Cowart Group Architects
    7 years ago

All good comments, the tiny house is a great idea for an in house caregiver.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    14 years ago, I was one of the first to install a residential elevator into a new house design for our personal home. It is a must for two story homes and done right it is the best asset a home can have. I am always trying to think ahead. Many friends have taken my advice and love their elevators. It is handy for people but also great for moving Christmas stuff from storage to lower levels, moving things up for bad weather conditions. Best money ever spent. As we age, stairs and bad knees don't mix well. Recommend for all two story new builds. It can be backfitted with some innovative new designs, and some savvy builders are coming up with designs that line up 5x5' closets to retrofit elevators. Even further some new construction builders are designing to accommodate multi-generational living together, but in separate private suites. Things are changing.
  • PRO
    K.M. Cash Remodeling
    4 years ago

Yes we are building homes in Virginia Beach to cater to the growing retiree market that include the option of an elevator. If the owner doesn't want the elevator it is easily transformed into a 5x5 closet on both levels.

• PRO
    Cowart Group Architects
    4 years ago

We are doing a project in Savannah with HC accessible Containers.

Double ageing in place.