Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenbo551

TV placement? Decor suggestions?

jenbo551
9 years ago
We just bought this house and are curious on your ideas regarding the fireplace and TV placement. I would like to hang the TV over the fire, but not sure I want to ruin the stone with a mount. I do like the simplistic design as it is but want to be able to have a TV near the fire as it's the only fireplace. This is the formal living room which is also open to the formal dining room. The house itself feels very rustic but I'm coming from a condo with dark wood contemporary style furniture so I'm going to need to buy all new furniture for this sitting area. What would you do?

Comments (10)

• anniau
    9 years ago
    Love the room and congratulations on the house.
    It looks like the fireplace has smoke stains up the front so I think a TV would get cooked very quickly there. It is also very uncomfortable sitting looking up at a TV. They should be at eye level or even lower when seated.
    Would it be possible to put the TV in a low unit where the long sofa is now. Perhaps even a built in cabinet. Have the sofa where the chairs are and move the two chairs In grouping near the windows.
    Actually I like your light coloured furniture - it all looks very Scandinavian, light, natural and airy.
  • jenbo551
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much! I think the lighting made it look darker. I really like your suggestion about the built in cabinet. This is actually not my furniture. It is how the house is staged so I get to do whatever I want here! I am coming from a condo with very dark wood contemporary style furniture so have lots more to eventually do here.
  • anniau
    9 years ago
    OK I understand. It will be interesting to see how the dark furniture fits in here . I can see it potentially working well too. A sleek modern look.
  • PRO
    Curated Home By Chrissy & Co
    9 years ago
    My biggest question would be, what kind of fireplace is it? Wood burring or gas? It looks like the stone has taken some abuse (which is usually an indication of wood fire). The layout of this room is fantastic with oodles of potential. Ideally, I think the TV would be best suited above the fireplace so there is a nice visual balance to the space. Otherwise the TV an fireplace may visually compete with one another. This of course would require a fireplace redesign (as you would need a conduit for the electrical etc). Built in shelfs and a face lift to the fireplace would do wonders. I also think that more contemporary furniture would be beautiful in this room. If you are located near by and interested in working with a designer, I would be happy to offer you a complimentary studio consultation to do some design brainstorming with you.
  • PRO
    Tekkease
    9 years ago
    I am assuming that the fireplace is wood burning, if so those put off heat differently than gas and can impact TV's if not mounted correctly. Also if you are hesitant in mounting over fries place, don't, as it will require modification of the stone.

Is it a possibility to mount display on wall next to windows on articulation arm mount? It might cover part of the stone wall yet maybe a good compromise...
  • PRO
    Tekkease
    9 years ago
    Also need to consider where the equipment will be located
  • jenbo551
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that's a wood burning fireplace. I have decided not to mount the TV at this time. I eventually would love to open this fireplace up and make it double sided because on the other side of the fireplace is the great room and it is sheet rocked over. Then I would be replacing the stone anyways and doing something totally different. These are all grand plans of course, and would need to be engineered accordingly if possible. So for now, I'm going to stick with the slate fireplace and no TV.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    The photos are a bit small and it's not very clear to see from only these two photos, but I think you have enough space to put a TV next to the fireplace. Glad you've decided to not mount it above the fireplace. Wise choice.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    You could also hang the tv next to fireplace using an articulating bracket.

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com