Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prisbent

Need help w/exterior color palette, landscape, and general curb appeal on 70's house

prisbent
12 years ago
First, please help with exterior palette with brown roof. We would like a berry red door & dark brown trim. From there, we need a siding color, and wood deck rail color for the back of house. Garage door same as siding color? I need a specific palette, as I can't put the colors together for this era house. Also, what should I do in terms of landscape and general curb appeal? Thx!

Comments (12)

• hollyclouse
    12 years ago
    Your house has great bones. Definitely trim out the windows. doors, and garage door but keep it simple, clean lines. That will break up the all-in-one look. If you can afford it, an applied stone at the base about half way up the front door and across would really draw the eye - choice of stone is up to you - stacked, rounded, whatever. Love the weeping juniper. Needs to be really showcased. Color? Depends on if you do stone or not. If not, then I would go deep in earth tones to pull that juniper front and center. Get rid to f the boxwood (?) on the left side of the juniper. Something low and crawly would be great - keep it native species, however - less upkeep. Whatever color the house is, the garage door should be too to minimize it. It'll be great to see your final choices! Above all - make it fun.
  • prisbent
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you hollyclouse for your response. I hadn't thought of stone, but what a great idea, and will consider that in the future when we have the $$$. Right now, it's all about paint:-)

The boxwood is actually an azaelea that I've pruned into too boxy of a shape. I'll try first to take it down a third this year (more later), and let it be more free form like the azaelea on the corner. If not successful, I'll remove it.

Yes, I want to minimize garage door until we can replace it, so I'll paint the same as house color. As we are embracing the "70's era of this house, I'm thinking of keeping the same siding color with a dark brown trim. Any ideas for the front door, anyone? I've had suggestions for yellow and orange, but not sure......
  • prisbent
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you Dytecture! I'd like to explore this a little more with you as I am looking for more sophistication and curb appeal as you so well stated. Do you have BM, SW, Behr, or Valspar colors in mind that would work? What about the trim color along the eves, around front door and garage door? Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    12 years ago
    Glad you like it :) I would suggest BM "Mountain Moss" for the main siding, trim could stay as untouched as they look brownish in the photo, and the front & garage door could use BM "Graphite" ... our friend Charmean Neithart can give you more suggestions on colors.
  • houssaon
    12 years ago
    How about BM Country Life with Fireball Orange on the doors? Other base colors I would recommend to use with Fireball Orange are Topeka Taupe or Stampede. My final pick woild be Weimeraner on the base with Dinner Party (a lush deep red) on the door.
  • betsyweisberg
    12 years ago
    I agree with dytecture! Good luck!
  • tammysullivan
    12 years ago
    Do you really want a berry red door?
  • tammysullivan
    12 years ago
    Plants are lovely but were planted too close to house, would need further photos of house to give suggestions. Your house does look lovely, just needs updating.
  • prisbent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone. So far, we have removed the large horizontal tree in order to repaint. Hubby was dead set on SW Tavern Taupe for siding and SW Homestead Brown for trim. Haven't figured out right red for door, any ideas? We bought paint, and ready to go! Yikes!
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

Since you want brown trim and a berry red door, I would suggest white or off-white for a siding color and also for the garage door.

• PRO
    Butler Landscape Inc
    8 years ago

love the design

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!