Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_14893894

Wanting to spruce up an old, beatup bathroom.

User
9 years ago
I have bathroom I would like to redo. I am already planning on ripping the wall paper off, but am trying to decide on a color. I HATE white. However, I would not mind doing white with one colored wall. I would love to replace the tub, but that is entirely TOO costly. The cabinets are oak, and do not want to paint them. I also plan on replacing the hideous yellowing linoleum floor. Also, the bathroom is on the second floor.

I would love to hear some suggestions from others. I am tired of my old, dingy, and ugly bathroom!

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago
    The floor isn't so bad. Remove the wallpaper of course. Is there no window in the room? If not, selecting a paint that isn't too dark would be a good idea. The light fixture and mirror have to go. When you buy a new shower curtain, which you should, hem it so that the bottom comes to the top of the tub. The plastic liner doesn't not need to be changed. This gives a very neat look to the curtain so it isn't hanging over the tub or tucked inside. I got this idea from Martha Stewart and tried it in my small bathroom. It works like a charm.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Pick the new flooring first, then a shower curtain, new paint or new wallpaper. To save time while picking up flooring samples, match the tub color with a paint chip and bring the paint chip with you to the flooring store. If you can remove an oak cabinet door, take that with you, too.
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There are not any windows in the bathroom. The flooring is ripped in places and is yellowing unevenly. The nails from the sub floor are also coming up and popping holes in the vinyl. Does the hemming thing also keep the shower curtain from attacking you? Teehee. In any case, I will have to try that!
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    A curved rod may solve the billowing shower curtain problem. Also provides more elbow room.

Sounds like you will need to get the current vinyl floor removed and the subfloor repaired.
  • backsplashideas
    9 years ago
    I would also remove the builder grade mirror, which really dates a space, and add a decorative, framed mirror. Or, frame out the existing mirror like this person did: http://www.hometalk.com/657764/frame-out-your-builder-s-grade-mirrors-no-mitering-required
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    9 years ago
    I think changing the wall color to a beige could be just the right thing you need! In addition, I would change the flooring to something with less of a design! Also, add some home accessories to the counter to make it more unique! I hope that helps!
    -Fratantoni Lifestyles
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I would paint the walls apple green. what flooring material are you considering?
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Since the bathroom is on the second floor, I think I am pretty much limited to laminate and vinyl. I will most likely need something that is very waterproof/resilient so hard wood floors are out. Most of the house has solid oak floors, cabinets, and walls. Maybe a stone looking flooring will be nice?
  • PRO
    Kim Harvey Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    So much of effective design involves creating illusions, so here are some suggestions for you to accomplish this in your awkward little bathroom:
    I know you stated that you did not want to paint the cabinets, but I believe you should do just that. I would match the cream of your countertop & paint all cabinets & baseboards the same color w/a semi-gloss finish.
    I would now choose a vinyl flooring that resembles hardwood (you can bring in your oak look here) with a wide plank that you run horizontally in the room to create more width. By using the darker color on the floors versus on the cabinetry, you are creating more visual space.
    Your wall color should come next and be a soft, lighter color to compliment your creams (cabinets & shower) & cover all of your wall space.
    By keeping your palette simple, you're helping again to increase the perceived size of the room. Here are some oh-so-pale recommendations for you from Benjamin Moore (my fav paints…in Aura…worth the $$$ because the coverage is great..I also like the matte finish on walls…it's still very scrubbable):
    ~ 2017-60 pale daffodil (like a pale orange sherbet)
    ~ 2049-70 icing on the cake (the softest blue sky in the morning)
    ~ 2150-60 pale celery (a tiny hint of green)
    Next pull off whatever you have affixed to the side of the tall cabinet (paper cup holder, etc), find a great little storage "box" like a small vintage cosmetic case, place on the countertop to the right of the sink & hide everything.
    Now I would purchase an unframed but beveled rectangular mirror the same height as your current one, as close the depth of your tall cabinet as you can get and mount it to create a continuous corner of mirrors…again, more perceived space will be created.
    The outside decorative shower curtain that you choose should have sufficient weights to prevent any "attacks" & be of a semi-sheer or sheer solid fabric (no pattern) whose color matches or blends w/your palette. Your liner can be opaque for privacy, but by using a solid, sheer fabric on the outside, you're eliminating the "heaviness" associated w/another patterned version. Hang it as high as you can & do not shorten it in this case…you'll achieve a longer visual line.
    Next, nix the dressing room light fixture & opt for something more appropriate to your style. Home Depot & Lowe's have plenty of affordable choices that have some personality to them (using a dimmer switch will also prevent you from being blinded as I'm sure you are now).
    Finally, I would relocate your hampers either out of the room or into your tall cabinet and install a multi-towel bar that's a tad wider than what you have.
    By the way, don't forget a great, big cushy bath rug too…good luck!
  • M Rene Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I had an older bathroom at one time. It didn't have wallpaper, but it was pretty bad. Here are some of the things I did & some things I also recommend:

1. Recommend: Pull down wallpaper & paint walls & wainscot a neutral color

[houzz=
    Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint · More Info
    ]

2 I did: Replace only the cabinets & vanity doors with new kitchen cabinet doors & knobs from Home Depot (see sample photos below). The foundation of the cabinets & vanity in your bath look sound / OK. So just update the doors! Much cheaper. See link to Home Depot cabinet info below:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/kitchen%2520cabinet%2520doors?NCNI-5

3. I did: Had a contractor pull up linoleum & tile my bathroom
    [houzz=
    Bathroom stone floor tiles (Mediterranean Style) · More Info
    ]

4. I did: Change shower curtain & add a few new accent towels & a floor rug that match
    [houzz=
    Retro Flower Floral Fabric Bathroom Bath Shower Curtain · More Info
    ]