Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiwisyd

Is this rug a wise purchase?

fiwisyd
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
As you can see from the photos, this room DEFINITELY needs a rug ... and I do really like this one which I have brought home on approval. But - is it a wise choice? this is our formal / winter sitting room, so generally not for the kids and more where my husband and i might sit (with a glass of red wine!) or entertain friends (ditto red wine, add coffee / tea) ... I'm worried about it being ruined with spills. It's pure wool, Moroccan Berber, is there anything i can do to protect it, how would I clean it, or is it possibly not the right one anyway?

Comments (9)

• Carolina
    9 years ago
    It's a gorgeous rug and here are tips on how to remove stains from a Berber carpet
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6363058_remove-wine-stains-berber-carpet.html
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Try bringing the sofas closer towards the center of the room.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I would definitely move both sofas. Move the love seat away from the wall and the sofa closer to the fireplace. They will sit nicely on the rug, and will create a cozier space.

The rug is lovely. Keep the salt handy, relax, and enjoy your beautiful room.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    The rug is lovely and I would keep. As mentioned above, the sofas are really far apart, but moving them in closer will not allow you to watch tv. Wondering if you move tv to the left wall where the couch is and place both couches facing each other in front of the fireplace - could you see tv in this arrangement? You could move the bookcase to the other side of the window for balance.
  • fiwisyd
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, thanks everyone, I totally see what you mean. The TV is the problem, this is not really the tv watching room (more like a spare tv) so I don't want it to be the focus of the room, and give it a whole wall. On the other hand, we do still need to see it when necessary! I'm sure my husband will be v excited at moving some furniture around this weekend to try some different things!

I actually also came back to this post to ask advice on colour accents ... having kept the rug, I now need to bring some colour into the room with cushions (the flowery ones in the photos will go) ... the sofas are very very dark brown leather - they actually look black. So i was thinking maybe soft fabrics like velvet or wool or felt, but strong colours (not necessarily bright, but i don't mind that). I want to bring more of a 'comfort' factor into the room, but in a modern way. Confused? I am!
  • fiwisyd
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    with a bit of dragging and pushing i have moved the sofas as suggested ... definitely a 'cosier' space and you can still see the tv (kinda) BUT as you will see from the photo, the fireplace is not in the middle and I'm not sure I can cope with that kind of anti-symmetry! I can't move the second sofa across any more because it will be in front of the door and also blocking the piano. Hmmm, will I cope? the rug needs a bit of aligning but only so much i can do on my own!
  • fiwisyd
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I could help you ( coming from your amazing/awesomedaughter)
  • fiwisyd
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    how sweet!!!