Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresatls

white or distressed beige kitchen cabinets

teresa steele
12 years ago
will be building new house this summer and can't decide if the white/beige kitchens are a fad that will fade in a few years. i plan on getting black appliances so this would look great now, white w/black but feel 5-10 years down the road will it look out of style?? help me make up my mind, white distressed or go with a cherry/oak/maple wood with black appliances--thanks for any great ideas.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Precision Cabinets Inc
    12 years ago
    We've done quite a few painted kitchens recently, but not a lot of them have gone with distressing. Part of it depends on the overall look you want in your kitchen. Have you thought about door styles? A simple shaker or beadboard door will give you a cottage or farmhouse look, which can definitely stand the test of time if painted. A raised panel door, especially with some detailing, will give you an elegant traditional look, which looks really nice in cherry. Both are classic looks that should last. I would suggest thinking about how you want the overall kitchen to look and feel, and see which finish fits that image the best.
  • PRO
    balance design studio
    12 years ago
    Hi Teresa. Part of the longevity will be based on your region and how "established" your choice is. In New England, white cabinets are very popular and have been for a long time. I don't worry much about their trendiness because one can look back 100, 50, 25, or 10 years ago and see painted white cabinets. This might not be the case in the Southwest, however where woods are far more common. Distressing, on the other hand, could be more subject to fashion. Of the woods you mention, Cherry is the one that comes to mind as having the most sticking power. Oak (unless you are thinking of quartersawn) is still scary for many (think tawny oak with the cathedral doors), yet is making a comeback in new forms (white oak, rift cut, etc...check out Christopher Peacock cabinetry...not sure if it's your taste, but proof that it's in fashion). Maple can vary by region and taste. Some feel that natural maple reminds them of 1990's IKEA kitchens. Espresso-stained maple is popular when done in either a modern kitchen -- which didn't seem like your taste in reviewing your ideabook -- or when paired with paint. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Jessica Berry Design
    12 years ago
    Hi Teresa. Distressed white cabinets look stunning in magazine photos, but my experience with clients in the past is that once it is in their new kitchen, in their beautiful new home, they tend to look old and dirty, (their works, not mine) in comparison to the crispness of the new finishes in the space (hardwood, trim work, furniture, tile, curtains, etc.) The client ended up paying to have the whole kitchen repainted solid white.

Before you commit to a 'distressed' finish, I recommend referrals from your cabinetmaker for distressed kitchens he has done in the past, and if he does not have any referrals for this specific look, it means either he has never done one, or has never done one well enough to ask for a referral!

Consider an off-white in a painted wood or PVC finish, combined with a wood finish in a medium stained cherry or maple in a number of combinations could give you the feel you are going for, and the black appliances would not stand out as much as they would in an all off-white kitchen. This could be a combination of wood finished island and off-white perimeter cabinets, or wood finished lower cabinets and off-white upper cabinets, depending on the layout of the space.

As a general rule, if your space is a reflection of your own personal taste and style, you don't need to worry too much about trendiness. Kitchens are very expensive upgrades, so the current styles will be around for awhile.

Good luck with your project.