Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallasartssalon

Where To Place Tub/Shower Niche & Right Size Niche & Tile

Help!

Retiling a tub/shower that had no niche previously and I am very much like things centered but apparently not possible per my husband. We had bought the niche you see in photo 2 which is looking straight at the long wall of the tub.shower.

Faucet/showerhead would be to the right. I am not loving the look of where my husband placed it nor do I think I like the size.

I was actually thinking of flipping it vertically. Should it be closer to the shower head?

This is bath 2 in our 1964 home we recently purchased. It is small: approx 8 feet long x 5 feet wide. 31" vanity, toilet & tub shower. It will also function as guest bath.

We are not replacing the tub (although I would prefer to). We are doing new tile & new fixtures.

We are doing the tub/shower tile in a matte white 12x24 subway tile running horizontal. The floors will be a 12x14 gray porcelain tile running vertically.

The wall tile we picked however does not have any bullnose to finish out the niche so wondering what to do? Maybe find a close white marble with a touch of gray running through it?

We bought some Schluter edge for wall tile in brushed nickel. I am wondering if we should have bought white?

We are getting a 31" Ronbow Jenna vanity in slate gray with integrated white ceramic sink top, Toto Ultramax II toilet in cotton white & a 24x30 mirrored medicine cabinet as we need the storage. New tub/shower & faucet fixtures are Delta Grail in stainless finish. Walls/ceiling/trim will be repainted white.

Down the road I am thinking about getting sliding glass doors installed for the tub for a more expansive look versus shower curtain so that is why I am also agonizing over replacement of the niche & right size & look.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Dallas Arts Salon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Vicky - so perhaps on the opposite wall form the shower head? So when facing the tub.shower straight on, place in the far wall to the left? Makes sense. Thanks,
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    The niche stays dryer also when on wall opposite shower head
  • Dallas Arts Salon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I had been thinking of keeping that wall available for a towel bar if needed but it makes sense to not see the stuff when you walk in. If there a preferred size for a small bath with a standard size tub/shower combo. Thanks.
  • Dallas Arts Salon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also thoughts on how far out away from a tub/shower combo to bring out the tile?

I thought the wall tile should end/align with bathtub & to use the Schluter from ceiling to top of tub.

My husband said to bring the tile out a few inches & to run the Schluter from ceiling to floor/baseboards.

I am not sure I am loving his idea. I have found much on how high to tile but nothing on how far out to bring the tile.

I think that by expanding the tile past the tub edge & running the edge floor to ceiling it will make bathroom look choppy.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Rachel L
    4 years ago

What did you end up doing @Dallas Arts Salon? Particularly curious about where you ended up stopping the tile - at the edge of the tub, or did you extend it a few inches past like hubby said. I am having the same question myself! Can you upload a pic of the final product all these years later please?

• Dallas Arts Salon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rachel - wow this was so long ago. Anyway here are 2 photos, We did extend the tile and we out the niche on the short wall across from shower head. The tile guy did a terrible job on the niche and one fo these days we will redo it. But happy with the overall tile placement. It's a dreary dark morning here and this bathroom doesn't have a window and is off a hallway so not much light. Hope these help.

• Rachel L
    4 years ago

Thanks so much @Dallas Arts Salon!! I really appreciate it. I think it looks great (don't tell hubby he was right)! Is that 2 or 3 inches past the tub?

I'm also installing a niche and am in deep internal turmoil on just about EVERY aspect! Given your learnings, what would you tell the tiler this time to get the look you want? Thanks again!

• Dallas Arts Salon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's about 3 inches. Get a great tiler. Honestly the guy did sloppy work and i wasn't keeping an eye on him. The tile guy had another guy do this as it was on a weekend so I didn't get the "A" team.

• kindertina
    3 years ago

@Dallas Arts Salon Did you end up using white Schluter on the edge? I'm facing the same dilemma. @Rachel L Did you finish your project? Would you now mind sharing pictures and your learnings with me?

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

Hey @kindertina. Holy cow, this was 8 months ago and I still don't have a bathroom!! Crappy contractor, global pandemic... one strike left and I'm out.

So take this with a grain of salt because I dont have a completed job, but this is what I've gathered. Schluter strips are the easy way out and then you don't have to rely on your tiler doing a really good job. To me, though, it doesnt look as nice as a tile with a finished edge around the niche (which of course I didnt pick a tile that came with a finished edge or with any matching trim pieces) or you go down the risky route of mitering the edges. It looks really good when done well, but you read so many horror stories here that it feels like such a gamble to go down that route. I also read the thin mitered edge could be prone to chipping. So the age old question, looks or practicality?!

In addition to the great insights here, also check out this thread. I hope you'll find it as helpful as I did. :)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5801650/schluter-choice-metal-trim-or-white-pvc-schluter-for-our-tile

• A N
    2 years ago

Hi @Rachel L. Any update on the bathroom? I’m curious to see your progress!!