Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbieno

Backsplash ideas

debbieno
9 years ago
We have chosen Cambria Quartz "Bradshaw" for our countertops. It's really pretty, but we are struggling with what to choose for the backsplash. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Comments (26)

• Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    A quiet travertine stone looks great with Bradshaw.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Khaki Glass Tile Backsplash · More Info
    ???? Good luck! :)
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Is that your cabinet & floor colors you're showing? Maybe you should pull the gray with a gray glass subway tile.
  • debbieno
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, that is our cabinet and floor. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    12"x12" Crema Marfil Beveled Stone Tile, Single Sheet · More Info
    Is there a certain style you're trying to achieve? :)
  • debbieno
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not really. We have one room that is kitchen, living room, and eating area. I was concerned about some of the backsplash samples we were given.....I thought it would make the finished product look too busy. We would like something that is attractive, durable and low maintenance. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    I agree, go with something very simple as the counter is so busy. Take home samples and live with them for a few days. see them in different lights, day- evening .
  • ashbaugh174
    9 years ago
    Very pretty...I would go with something plain but maybe add a little interest with a small band of glass tiles in a color that would match. We are using the Cambria Bellingham and are having the same issue but I think that is what I have decided. Good luck.
  • debbieno
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is a sample backsplash from a design store as one idea to be used with Cambria Bradshaw. It's pretty, but still may be too busy. A simple travertine may be better.
  • MotherOfGiants
    9 years ago
    Depending on what else you have going on in the kitchen, have you considered continuing the Cambria as the backslash? Here is the look with Bellingham: http://houzz.com/photos/12103234
  • Kim Swanson
    9 years ago
    taupe or dark blue? 1-2 inch tiles might look pretty. Maybe diamond or subway? I'm not a design guru but it might be something to think about. I drove myself nuts finding a tile to go with a dark green backsplash and I finally chose this one.

http://www.classictilenewyork.com/product/31-sale-items/3158-glass-stone-mosaic-tile-diamond-lxd-17c-white-carrara-white-glass-on-sale-1000-per-sqft.html
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    So funny, just moments ago, I suggested a taupe glass subway tile for a kitchen and came across your dilemma and think the same color would be perfect.
    [houzz=
    Bouchard · More Info
    ]
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    The tile Ann tagged would be perfect!
  • lindseyjjb
    9 years ago
    Something very simple without a lot of color variations is my preference. There is so much texture and movement with your counter tops that you need to keep it subdued so it is not overwhelming. It also depends on what colors you want to be highlighted from your counter tops. If you want to pull the beige out of the counter tops, do a beige backsplash. I like the idea of travertine. If your counter tops are polished, do a honed or flat backsplash and it will keep the focus on your counter tops (if that is what you are going for). Also, a question is: what style are you going for? Modern? Rustic? That is a biggy when you are picking a backsplash. Good luck!
  • debbieno
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The taupe glass subway tile is beautiful.
  • lindseyjjb
    9 years ago
    Also, one last thing. I like the tile Ann posted. But a quick FYI, the layout pattern of the tile in the picture ( called a stack bond) is very modern or mid-century modern (think 50's or 60's). If you are not going for this style, and if everything else in your house is traditional or transitional or rustic, then this layout will look out of place.
  • tom192
    9 years ago
    Good choice. I think onyx tile backsplash would work. Some lovely ideas for kitchens here http://www.eskandaristone.com/
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    9 years ago
    Here are a few more suggestions.

The top left one, the white in it will help to balance the white floor tile.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    9 years ago
    Here is the sample of Cambria Bradshaw, so you can to compare them together. Don't be afraid to go with a pattern tile mosaic. If the colors match and blend well with the countertop it will look great. You can easily get away with it since your floor is plain. It would be nice to add some interest to help balance the movement of the countertop.

Consider turning the liner mosaics vertically to add height to the backsplash.
  • debbieno
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great ideas! Thank you so much.
  • bevballew
    9 years ago
    I am in the same dilemma. My designer says very simple due to the business in the granite. I would think larger tiles rather than the little ones.
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    I think you need to think carefully whether your personal aesthetic leans toward mixing patterns and styles or keeping things simpler. Some people are suggesting very busy, multi-colored tile patterns in the same color palette as your busy countertop design. Others are suggesting taking one shade from the counter and using it in a simple glass or travertine subway tile design. These will produce very different effects. Personally, I go into sensory overload with the mix of two busy patterns. Others find the use of a solid color backsplash boring and a lost opportunity to make a bold design statement. Before making any decision, you probably need to figure out which of these two directions your own aesthetic sensibilities lean. Otherwise you could end up with a design effect that you aren't happy with, despite the best of intentions.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I could not agree more with feeny. High visual pattern (in place of the word busy) or not, its your home. It depends what you find appealing. I personally would search on houzz for pictures with plain backsplashes and more high visual patterned backsplashes and see what you think. Or stop in a few showrooms and see a live display. Something may catch your eye in regards to pattern or design. Good luck, you'll get there! :)
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Hi, i would suggest a glass subway tile. for more ideas on choosing a backsplash, pls feel free to read my blog : http://bitly.com/1reZQPD
  • LONNA EVERDEEN
    7 years ago

I am in the process of making the last decisions for my expanded kitchen. I have been saving, planning and buying some things, like the appliances and the backsplash tiles since 2009.. I chose the Cambria Bradshaw Quartz because I loved it with my backsplash, It is just off white, but the texture reminds me of the cracked look light color in the quartz. The bottom stone on the accent tile matches the warm brown (tan) in the quartz. I chose the 12" x 6" accent tile with pewter 2"x2" accents in it. It also comes in copper which might look beautiful with this counter because of the copper flecks. I plan to use the long accent tile along with the matching chiaro 2"x2", 12"x12" sheets. Also some 3/4" x 12"l chiaro pencil molding behind the stove for a small change up of design. Wish I could send a completed picture, but things are moving slow. I am having trouble picking my flooring to blend. I need something without a lot of grain or matching my cabinets. I am using my existing pine cabinets with pewter handles in a in a early American/fruitwood reddish tone cabinets with a black line in the paneled door. The Bradshaw seems to pick up all my colors. I will try to add some pictures of this tile. If it doesn't work just put chiaro tile in the Homedepot.com website search. Good luck.