Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcosentino

Help furnishing my living room

tcosentino
9 years ago
Would appreciate input/suggestions for furnishings for my living room i.e. coffee table (shape/size), chairs, end tables etc. We are going to be redoing the fireplace including built ins flanking the fireplace. Suggestions for that would also be welcome. Appreciate all the valuable input given on this site to others and looking forward to hear input for my room Attaching photos of the adjoining rooms as well.

Comments (27)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    are you putting the tv in the built ins? or is this a formal room? the rug in the dining room looks off center. and not sure about the black framed mirror, gray and brown combo. the mix of all the woods in there is not working, they are fighting each other. console table behind the couch second chair, to left and right of sofa, and oval coffee table. all your windows a beautiful. so i would loose the mirror and opt for some art, to bring the room to life. white built ins with a accent fire place wall would be nice. you need lamps for end tables too. you have a great space.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    think about painting the dining chairs, and only have 4 at the table. use that little area by the window to rest the extra chairs.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    this living room could use an awesome chandelier or light fixture in the center.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would begin with finding an awesome coffee table. A statement for the room to grow around;)
    New York Glass Round Cocktail Table · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    This chart should help with selecting tables and lamps in the right scale for your seating pieces. A pair of slipper chairs would be flexible and could flank the FP or sit together at one end of the rug. These coffee table tips from HGTV will help you too. Beautiful view, don't think I'd cover it will treatments unless people live across the water with binoculars/telescopes.
    http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/10-tips-for-finding-the-perfect-coffee-table-pictures
    Vincent Tufted Slipper Chair · More Info

Vaughn Tufted Slipper Chair, Teal · More Info
  • tcosentino
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. The house has only one large living room so it will function as a living room/family room. We are thinking of incorporating the tv either above the fireplace or on the side in the white painted built-ins. I like the idea of two matching chairs. Maybe slipper type or a size bigger for comfort while tv watching. The furniture in the dining room is second hand pieces I have picked up. This house is a second house in hilton head, so cutting costs where we can is important. I don't like the mixture of woods in the dining room. The table needs to be refinished as it has some wear. Maybe we could paint the two upholstered chairs black or a browner stain that would match the table? I'll move the mirror out and find a piece of art. The ceiling in the living room is high and currently has a fan. Lighting is needed for sure. Appreciate input.
  • PRO
    Water Wall Biz, LLC
    9 years ago
    Have you considered a water wall? They can bring the soothing element that can also double as an art piece.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Margo, we're thinking alike. I read the dilemma and my first thought was a metal and glass coffee table. I was thinking more along the lines of the large Pottery Barn Tanner coffee table, but your choice is certainly more interesting.
  • tcosentino
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The round glass cocktail price is nice, but the price may be an issue. I just looked up the tanner table from Pottery Barn. I do like this. They have two sizes 48" or the grand which is 60". Our couch is 90". Do you think the larger size would fit the space better?
  • tcosentino
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Meant to say cocktail table "piece" above.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi, Just wanted to stop and say what a nice home you have. I love all the windows/doors. What a great space to start with. I like the color choices too, will you be keeping the wall colors? I tried to view the two sizes of PB table, but couldn't find it? When you decide, I'll pop back in. :) Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i would put the tv to the left or right, with doors so when not in use we dont have to look at it.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    @Flair, But "we" aren't "there".....so "we" wouldn't be looking at it. lol :D Just buggin' ya a bit. ;)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    haahah, oh im there .........im so there and we will look at it together when its all finished hahahahaa........ZAZYPAINTS strikes again!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    ROTFLMAO, That's it Flair....I'm moving to CA. :D And I'm getting lights from....... YOU! LOL :D
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    ill ship them to you, and sneak myself in a box!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    this way we can drink some wine, and whine about Houzz together lol.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    You could probably go with either size of the Tanner coffee table, but looking at your room, I think I'd choose the 60". My sofa is 82" and my coffee table is 48x28. My sofa is smaller and my living room is smaller. I'm thinking the smaller one might look a bit too small in your space. I have the Tanner round side table and I LOVE it! But, if you get the Tanner coffee table, go for different side tables so you don't get too many matching things.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    By the way, I do think a metal and glass table would be perfect in your room!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    @Flair, That's a plan! :D Promise not to pick on me when you get here and it's a deal. ;) I actually took a quick peek at your site....nice lights Flair! ;)
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    This Clairemont from Crate and Barrel is nice too. I've seen it and I like it.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Then something like a small white table or garden stool for beside the chair. I like the garden stool idea unless you think the pattern on the stool might compete with the upholstery pattern. I don't think it would, but the thought crossed my mind.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    @Ann, great suggestions. I may steal you for my living room. ;)
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Just want to see a side by side pic. By the way, the garden stool is from zgallerie.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Possibly it would be nice the way the pattern on the garden stool sort of repeats the pattern in the chair upholstery.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    No slipper chairs unless you don't want your guests to stay long.

Love the windows, love the view, love the beni ourain rug.

Put the TV in the built in on the right on an articulating arm so it can be pulled out to watch, pushed back to hide. You need chairs facing the view, something about the height of your sofa like West Elm's tulip chairs. I like Pottery Barn's rain drum end table for a bit of interest.

I'd choose something more substantial than metal and glass for the coffee table. This reclaimed wood one can be made to whatever size you want and you won't need to break out the Windex every night.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/129724398/reclaimed-wood-coffee-table-reclaimed?ref=shop_home_active_12