Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piercej2

Need to spruce up this space...

Rachel Pierce
9 years ago
We need some help trying to warm up this space. We are considering curtains and would love a sofa table but our couch is very low so it's hard to find the right piece. The buffet in the niche is there temporarily so I'm open to ideas for that space as well as pieces to accessorize.

Comments (19)

• everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi. I don't know what material or finish cabinet doors are, but what about painting them a deep sea blue? or more of that piece? Distress the whole item and stain reddish tones like unit across the room...or I could just ask what's wrong with it?
    Another question I have is whether nearby door is metal? If you crave fabric for privacy or just to add color and softness ok, but you could use the magnetic curtain rods for door only with a color you like, from art [yellow or coral etc.].
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Another, when you say 'warm up' do you have thoughts as to color?
    and do you need curtains for shutter windows? I picture yellow for brightening! It would seem to go with your black chairs too, modern... bird collection?
    Yellow Budgie Birds Oversized Gallery Wrapped Canvas · More Info

Green and Violet Budgies · More Info
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Nice room, I like your artwork, and drapes would be a great idea. I also think you could use a larger coffee table - laying a new top on this one would allow all guests to reach it more easily. I think your current console a better fit than a sofa table - it provides another layer of texture, which helps to warm your look -and, if it cannot remain, would replace with something of roughly the same size. Adding more cushions would also be a good softener - look for more of a mix in textures and sizes. The addition of more metal - a table on the chaise end, a new lamp, a bowl for the coffee table to keep remotes in -would give some more layering, yet.
  • Rachel Pierce
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of the x stools, where in the room would you put them? Also what other color would you add? The reason the buffet is temporary is because we love the lamps and realize they are sitting too high. Eventually we'd like to put something lower in that space. If we hang drapes can we get away with one long bar?
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Yes.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Coral would work well w your teal. If you prefer to keep it more monochromatic, consider lilac/ orchid. Deepening some of the colour you have to a taupe, navy blue will help add some depth, too.
  • rananashville
    9 years ago
    Just a few punches of a burnt orange color (e.g., in pillows, coffee-table book, vase, curtain) would warm up the space, IMO. If you like that idea, look at Valspar "Roman Orange." What do people think about moving the plant across to the other side of the windows? And what do you think of a sleek C-table for the "chaise" side of your sectional (to hold a drink)?
  • Rachel Pierce
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do like the idea of orange but hubby isn't a fan. I found this color pallet. Each of these colors are found in the picture I have hanging over the buffet. Thoughts?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    My first thought was removal of some of the doors in the TV cabinet so you can add some accessories in the niches there to carry teal/orange color up. The lamps look to be designed for a room with much higher ceilings. How tall are they? This chart suggest 64" above the floor would be max height. I would lower the art above the buffet to be 5" above it.
    East Living Room in Spanish Oaks · More Info

Play/Guest House · More Info

Pepper Pillow Cover, Blue · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    hi
    i think you did a very nice work on the room
    i like the buffet in the niche so i think you should keep it ( unless u just wanna change it to a newer more contemporary one)
    i would add more blue to the room with curtains on both sides of windows
    u don't need side table. if u wanna have more light i would place for floor lamp instead of the plant and move the plant towards TV
    also please change the ceiling FAN
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Nice palette choice, p!
  • ASw
    9 years ago
    Perhaps a bigger area rug that fits beyond the sides of the sofa. I think that would make the space feel more relaxed. Also, if you want to add texture and warmth, a sense of cozy, a shag rug would be a great replacement. You could also add a fuzzy warm blanket. The other comments about cloth curtains are great, that will add depth, texture and colour to the room.
  • rananashville
    9 years ago
    I do like the color palette that you found! ...since you can't have orange! ;)

Since you've already got a nice gray-taupe, I would drop the gray (second color) from their scheme and use the same value of your existing gray-taupe for reference. Also, to me an ochre color might blend in better than their sesame yellow -- but their yellow adds some nice pop!

Since there has been so much discussion about the lamps (which I love but do agree are too tall), could you swap out the shades to something shorter for a while, at least until a final resolution is made re: the buffet table? If not, lowering the painting by 6-8 inches might solve the problem?

Overall, the place is stunning and relaxing, and I love the advice that people are giving!!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Panels in a bold color for ends of windows. Yes one Rod is fine. And yes those lamps are sitting to high. Put something longer and lower in that space. Ck IKEA for ideas. I like the cow hide idea in a bench or 2 ottomans looking at big window.
  • PRO
    Water Wall Biz, LLC
    9 years ago
    Have you considered painting your window shutters to match the nice dark wood pieces you already have?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    just re-read and painting idea for niche behind table and art - in teal or your 'yellow'?
    easy to re-paint smaller area too!

You never said if you want curtains [color/texture] or need them for light control etc.??
  • Leahs Design
    9 years ago
    Where's your couch from?