Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_richard

with dual flush toilets in USA, is there enough water in the bowl for a heavy evacuation? sorry?

Shannon Richard
11 years ago
thinking of getting the Kohler dual flush toilet...need input on dual flush here in america...

Comments (21)

• Gina Johnson
    11 years ago
    I'm not sure about them but I've had Caroma toilets installed in my clients homes and I've never had a complaint about them. They use about 0.8 gallons of water for.. eh.. liquids while "solids" call for 1.5 gallons. These toilets are very popular and widespread, I don't believe there is any major issue with them.

Congrats on shifting to a technology that conserves water! Just make sure that whatever toilet you buy is WaterSense labeled.
  • elainemankato
    11 years ago
    We have dual flush toilets by Sterling and we can move "solids" with 0.8 gallons of water! Best thing we bought for our house next to the tankless water heater!
  • Catherine
    11 years ago
    I have two new kohler with dual flush - never a problem!
  • chesterm
    11 years ago
    Got a Caroma Sydney Smart about 2 years ago and have never had to touch a plunger since. I got a chance to see them work at a local ecology center, and watched for a sale. I live in a suburb of Detroit, and our local sewers aren't what they used to be,
    http://www.map-testing.com, is a California site that does extensive testing on toilet function, and Canada has a great site also.
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hello @ all,

I really like the dual flush toilets. It is one of the right ways to save our valuable drink water. However these toilets will cause other big problems in the future. Let me explain why.

Because of the high energy prices in Germany (including the high prices for drink water) almost every household (I assume at least 95%) has those "water efficient" toilets and in addition to this high efficiency washing machines and also high efficient dishwashers. The people also trying to save (not to use) as much water as they can, to save money. (Unfortunately the people pay now almost the same as they paid before they had all this. The energy prices are crazy high in Germany and they raise up more and more.)

The effect of all this is, that the amount of water in the city sewer pipes was dramatically reduced. And as a result of all this, the sewer pipes are plugged all the times. To maintain and clean the old sewer pipes increases the water prices.

Furthermore, the sewage treatment institutes which purifying the waste water have to clean way more concentrated sewage. And this process is very complicated and increases the water price too.

Now they are trying to come back to use more water to avoid all these problems. However they don't use the valuable drink water for it! Filtered rain water is used more and more for toilets and washing machines. Therefore lots of people install a buried rain water tank on their property and have separate pipes for their washing machines toilets installed.

So in my opinion the government an also the municipalities have to modernize their whole sewer pipe system and also their sewage treatment institutes to be prepared. However this will be not cheap.

If you have any further questions or if you need any advise, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
    Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver)
    http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
  • Julie Earnest
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I just installed three Toto Dual Flush toilets during my remodel, and I have to clean them almost every time I go #2! I'm not sure if it's the geometry or the amount of water, but I'm disappointed I bought them. They look nice, but I'm spending a lot of money on toilet bowl cleaner.
  • Shannon Richard
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thats what I am worried about! my boys would not clean and it would be a total hassle! thanks for the input! very helpful in my decision making! a no go!
  • Frank
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't rule out dual-flush, I also own a Caroma toilet and it's been great to me. I can usually get by with using the lower setting every time. I can't speak for the experiences that other people have had with other brands but I'll definitely buy again.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I installed the Kohler Saile dual flush in my own home last year. It works wonderfully. Because the good-quality dual flush toilets like Kohler and Caroma have redesigned the outflow from the traditional 'gooseneck' shape to something that is more straight and direct, it doesn't take nearly as much water to push things through the system. They use gravity and physics to our water-saving benefit.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    I love this question!!!!! Very discreetly I will just say yes, from experience, dual flush is fine.
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Yes, from experience on Neorest by TOTO model 600 & Duravit Wall Hung toilets it's not a problem!

http://www.poshhaus.com/store/c/24-Toilets.aspx
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Depends on the much is Heavy Evacuation ? lol
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Wow...
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I have used dual flush toilets and not have any issues with doing the 'big' one. If it doesn't clear the 1st time, you can also flush it again, but you are still saving water on all the other occasions.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    I always install dual flush in all my projects, we need to save our water ! I often choose TOTO and it works fine because it sucks everything in when you flush !
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Villeroy and Boch, EAGO & Neptune also make some nice dual flush toilets.
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    Hi PoshHaus,

You forgot Geberit. http://www.geberit.us/catalog/

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
    Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver)
    http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
  • goingagainstthegrain
    6 years ago

We have three Caroma dual flush .8g/1.6g toilets in our home - a 1-piece Caravelle toilet and two 2-piece Caravelle/Sydney toilets (all about 10-13 years old). We purchased them when there were very few dual flush toilets available in the American market. The newer Caroma models now use even less water per full flush (1.28g).

I love our Caroma toilets! The dramatic drop in household water consumption was immediately obvious. The 4 -in trap is so much larger than the 2-1/2" standard traps, so the toilets never, ever clog (not even the previous toilet on our ground floor that was previously extremely clog-prone). They hardly every require double flushing, either.

We received a significant water conservation rebate (I think $85 each?) from our water authority after we purchased the toilets, too, which helped to offset the somewhat higher price of the toilets. Combined with the water savings (So Cal high water cost), they have been winners for us.

The one caveat is that except for the water intake mechanism, replacement parts are not available at big box home centers like you'd find for typical American brands. However, the Caroma website does have an authorized distributor locator, plus there is a very good online retailer in Indiana (plumbingmall.com) that stocks and ships Caroma parts.

I recently ordered replacement parts for our two-piece Caromas - all gaskets and seals, as well as the plastic push buttons and seats which had yellowed from constant exposure to UV light coming from the skylights. I didn't need to replace the actual flushing mechanisms, just the seals & gaskets, which degrade over time. Plumbingmall.com was very helpful putting my order together, since our Caroma models are older and in some cases use different parts than the currently sold models with the same names. I was wisely advised to replace all the original gaskets, seals/bolts, and the offset toilet flange collar before reinstalling the two (10+ yr old) toilets (they sat "dry" during lengthy DIY remodels, which can cause leaks if reinstalled in that state). I replaced the intake valves with standard Fluidmaster products from Home Depot.

I will mention another thing about the Caroma toilet - because the bowl water level is very low in the narrow part of the bowl - a large
    part of the bowl surface is out of the water. Flushing does wash down
    the entire bowl, but depending on where/how the person sits on the seat
    and other solid waste factors, sometimes the bowl interior will need a
    quick "brush & swish" after use if slight streak marks remain
    (flushing again may or may not remove the streak). Personally, I don't
    have an issue with with a quick brushing after flushing, but
    one of my household members (the "streakiest" one) won't bother to brush
    & swish (argh). Streaks that dry do require somewhat more brushing effort to remove later. Sorry if that's TMI, but it may be a
    big issue to the person who most often cleans the toilets.

• HU-894013658
    last year

I have had two caroma toilets for 12 years and highly recommend them. I never use the 1.6 flush, the .8 works every time. Folks, this is a no brainer!!

• Kyle
    4 months ago

Caroma