Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eliasg_gw

The Balcony Aphid Experience

eliasg
17 years ago

Greetings,

I have a rather prosperous balcony garden consisting of foliage, herbs, and flowers - mostly wave petunias. Everything's growing merrily, but the darn petunias have turned into Aphidville. I spray them with soap, and the aphids just laugh. (I don't want to spray pesticides in the limited confines of my balcony.)

Now, here's the weird thing, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain it: the aphids won't even come close to the herbs. Won't touch 'em.

I wonder if, given the aphids' aversion to my delicious basil, rosemary, chives, etc., would it be more productive to make an anti-aphid spray from them?

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• VGtar
    17 years ago

There are about 4400 species of aphids. Most species of aphids feed on just one or a few species of closely related plants.

Awsome aphids

For the last three weeks I've had an infestation on my orpines, whereas none of the other sedums are infested. It doesn't seem to hurt them though, so I've just let them be as they are, and hope that some ladybugs will find them and have a huge feast!

• dunnybocter
    16 years ago

Aphids on my new honeysuckle have just about murdered it in a matter of weeks (it was just a baby) I tried spraying them off and soap, neither worked and I don't think honeysuckle likes insecticidal soap. I don't want to use chemicals because my cats spend a lot of time on my balcony (and in my plants! grr) So I guess I am just going to say goodbye to the honeysuckle unless some miracle happens and it pulls through.

• containergirl
    16 years ago

I had aphids on my petunias last year. I bought some insecticidal spray, but couldn't bring myself to use it. So I ignored the problem, and nothing bad ever came of it! Those petunias did just fine, and I think the darn bugs just went away (or found some sort of peaceful coexistance.)

A theory I like to believe is true - I've heard that those chemicals that make herbs so tasty to us are actually natural pesticides. If you neglect an herb (less water, bad conditions) it actually tastes better because it makes more of the good stuff to protect itself.

• paul_
    16 years ago

Have any of ya'll tried Neem oil? Does have a fragrance that some people find somewhat disagreeable though I've never found it to be all that bad. Scent doesn't last all that long either. Won't harm kitties or birds or people ....

• itsthehumidityz8b
    16 years ago

I think my first post went astray, so I'll try a shorter version. I have other beneficials, but green lacewings are amazing for aphids. They are attracted to the [incandescent] light bulbs over my front and back steps, so I just put the plants under them. I guess you could run a lamp of some kind to the plants, too - or buy some larvae to be sure. If only they ate earwigs. Kay

• kris2001
    16 years ago

I have aphids in my Roses too, I never tried ladybugs or any larvae. can anyone share their exp with these insects against aphids? if so where can i buy ladybugs?

• suzi7
    16 years ago

I am an organic gardener so naturally I have lots of aphids on some of my plants. some they never touch some they go crazy. some year worse than other, some year not so bad. They just like some plants just like we all like some food over the other and yes. petunias are one of their favorite. I have window boxes full of petunias in my balcony and right now they are covered with aphids. you can use soapy water but they would come back soon. so it's ok, but it doesn't really get rid of them permanently. btw. no chemical or remedy gets rid of bugs permanently. it's an illusion that people who sell them like to give. they are all temporary. the truth is that there are far too too many of them out there and not whole lot we can do about it. I sometimes use homemade soapy water if it gets too crazy, but so mostly I ignore them.

all bugs have life cycle. they are not present all the time. if you watch carefully you'll see there are some weeks that you see tons of aphids and they disappear for a while and come back a little and then go away again naturally.
    sometimes they may cause serious damages but in my experience they've never caused serious problem such as killing plants. and I get alot when I get them.

Lady bugs are good solution when it works. what it means that turns out we have no control over lady bugs, too. when you release them ( you can buy them from a nursery, internet) sometimes they'll stay but alot of times they all fly away and go eat bugs in someone else's yard.

• nandina
    16 years ago

Try running stems covered with aphids between thumb and forefinger, crushing the aphids selectively all over a plant. You will note in a short time that the plant will be aphid free for awhile. It appears that this sends out a 'danger' signal to remaining aphids and they will drop off. Not a permanent fix, but a daily treatment on a few infected plants will be helpful.

• vervaine
    16 years ago

Homemade garlic sprays work extremely well, as does Neem. Just google for recipes.

The trick is to repeat application every few days until the little buggers are no longer visible. Don't spray in direct sunlight or when temperatures are over 80 degrees F.

If you see ants you can be sure they are establishing a food chain. They farm aphids for their honeydew. You need to get rid of them. The most effective method I've found method is using Terro. Believe me when I say nothing else will get the job done, nothing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Terro

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting