Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinabanana

where do i get started?

tinabanana
13 years ago

I have 2 things I want to accomplish.

1) I want to properly start my garden seeds inside

2) I want to grow some veggies in my basement.

1) is probably not really related to this forum. I will do some reading around on proper lighting and such which is what I have been missing in the past years

2) I read a few pages of this forum but everyone seems to already be up and running. There is no FAQ section in this forum. Where is all the starter information located at?

Comments (10)

• stoneeater
    13 years ago

I don't know this forum that well because I just started also. So I'll tell you what I've done so far.
    Me and the wife love bell peppers in stir fry but they cost alot so I need to grow my own. My local paper has an annual garden guide every January saying to start peppers and tomatoes indoors in January.
    "How?"
    Came here went to the Florida Gardening forum and started reading. Searched there for "peppers florida". Kept reading. Bought some starter materials from the big orange box. Read some more.
    I just started my seeds yesterday morning with peppers, tomatoes, peas and celery. I messed up some but like others have pointed out, seeds grow without our help also so don't sweat it. Some will grow. Some won't. and one day we'll be as smart as the other folks here.
    You don't mention your locale or zone, but I would talk to local people. Check my local paper. Check out the appropriate forums here (Florida, California, container, etc...). Search the proper forums for what you'd like to do. and just keep reading. Ask questions too. The smart people here seem to be pretty patient and helpful.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Have you explored around the "Growing From Seed" forum? If not, click on the attached link and I'll take you over there!

Once there, skim though the titles of the old threads to find the subject matter more interesting to you. I'll look for you over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon, let's see what's growing!

• boxgrowergurl
    13 years ago

Hi Tinabanana, I'm still kinda new to growing foods but I love it! I don't have a green thumb at all hence my screename LOL :)I purchased Grow Boxes from this site here: http://www.agardenpatch.com about 3 years ago. Anyone can do it. I grew from seeds and also from already sprouted plants! It's so cool just to see your plants grow and then be able to eat them too! What a $$$ saver! I really encourgage you to check out that site. There's alot of info on there for newbies :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Box

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

There's no such thing as a "green thumb"... it's actually knowledge... it's what you learn, what you know.

Gardening can seem rather daunting when you're a beginner, but it's actually a lot of fun and a lot easier than some sources make it out to be.

My suggestion is to do some reading... put a little time into research. Learn the basics, and you'll have a fun and successful time growing anything... vegetables, houseplants, landscaping... whatever you choose.

There are specific forums here for the different types of growing... good places to begin reading. For container growing, there are great articles right here in this forum.

The linked article below is a great starting point for learning about container growing, and what happens under the soil surface.

Above all, you want it to be an enjoyable experience... so the more you learn and the more you know, the more fun you'll have putting what you learn into practice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention 12

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Follow Rhizo's link to 'starting from seed'. They will get you up and running. Easy, simple and fun.

Good Luck,
    Jane

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Reading about gardening helps. Reading about other gardeners problems and solutions helps. The real gardening learning will happen as your garden teaches you, through success and failure, what it needs from you. You will never quit learning, and that is why most gardeners keep at it as long as their body will allow. Welcome to the wonderful world of plants. Al

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Reading about gardening helps. Reading about other gardeners problems and solutions helps. The real gardening learning will happen as your garden teaches you, through success and failure, what it needs from you. You will never quit learning, and that is why most gardeners keep at it as long as their body will allow. Welcome to the wonderful world of plants. Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Starting seeds is easy...but growing full plants in a basement can be difficult and costly (lighting).

You'll want to avoid a soil mix that holds too much moisture. That's the main problem faced by most
    new gardeners. Seedlings won't use as much moisture as full-sized plants, outdoors, in warm sunlight,
    so special considerations must be made.

I have several years' experience growing peppers from seed and I can offer sound advice if desired.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Well said, Al. Learn all you can and let your practical experience validate what you've learned. We never have all the knowledge we need if our goal is to do the best we can.

The OP seems to have left the building, Josh, but I agree that it's particularly important to make sure that seedlings are never burdened with wet feet, and that they always have lots of air in the starting medium.

If you're still monitoring the thread, Tina, I have a watering tip you'll probably find useful - especially if you're starting seeds in flats.

Al

• JenPeteFL
    13 years ago

I'm new here too. Just discovered this site a couple hours ago and have been reading since. I feel like a sponge in front of a water hose. I'm also new to gardening.

I'll soon be moving into a home with a super small yard and patio, but I've been dying to grow my own veggies. So I'm going to give container gardening a try.

Any links specific to container gardening in Central FL? What works well, how to control pests, etc?

I've also researched some on square foot gardening/gardening in small spaces and am going to try to combine SFG with container gardening (basically buying containers in SF size). Any advice on that?