Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen1_gw

Beginner Questions

zen1
16 years ago

Just have a few beginner questions, I purchased an outdoor beginner plant (evergreen/pine), the plant is from "Nurserymen's Exchange Inc. from Half Moon Bay, Ca., however the plant name was not included on the tag. I purchased the plant from Longs Drug store, and the plant appears to be healthy. From reading beginner information, I may have started off on the wrong foot, but intend to make the best of it. The plant is in a 4in pot, from reading the reference info, I should re-plant/pot in the spring, would there be an exception if the plant is already root bound? If so, should I double the size of the pot? It's been very hot in this area for the past month (85-100+) dry heat. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• lucy
    16 years ago

What makes it a 'beginner' plant? It's probably a Juniper procumbens Nana (are there very short, but fat bundles of needles (vs a few longer ones)? Is the soil surface covered with a glued in layer of pebbles (if so pry it off - they peel fairly easily once you get a piece pried off at the opening)? Even if it's rootbound (unlikely considering it was probably just potted prior to being shipped to the store) you would either wait til the spring, or 'slip pot' it - just get it into a slightly larger pot in one piece after sliding it out from the original one, and surround it with new soil, without disturbing the rootball at all. Hot is not very relevant by itself, but many other things are. I do suggest you find a local bonsai club asap, bring your tree to the first mtg and find out where to go from there. Don't make the beginner's mistake of watering like it's a houseplant - wait til a fair amount of the soil (which probably should be changed to 90% grit) is fairly dry before watering again each time, but if you're keeping it outside you will need to make sure it doesn't dry out completely.

• zen1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lucy, the info you provided was very helpful. I referred to "Beginner" plant, only because I'm a beginner. Your description of my plant being a "Juniper procumbens Nana" appears to be very accurate, and yes there was a layer of pebbles on top of the soil, and thus removed per your suggestion. All is well with zen1, thanks again.....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting