Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joycewwct

Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil

joycewwct
15 years ago

I just looked at a partial bag of this potting soil in my garage. I have been searching the big box stores and the local farmer's co-op and can find nothing resembling pine bark fines by any name. After reading Al's excellent explanations I was convinced that was what I needed but it may take me a while to locate any. So anyhow I looked at this bag and lo and behold it is 50-55% composted pine bark and the texture looks good. I presume it is more expensive than making your own and I hope the organic fertilizer in it won't be bad for seed starting. But I want to start my Mesclun growing very soon. So I am excited to find that there is an available product that resembles Al's formula.

Comments (5)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Wow...I don't know much about Al's mix, but I read on posts that it works quite well. I used MG Organic Choice Potting Mix to start all of my plants this year (except peat pellet ones). I was happy with the results.

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

While the MG Organic may provide results you are happy with from what I saw of it the only similarity between it and the 5:1:1 mix is pine bark. It contains far more peat and 'composted forest product' than the 5:1:1 mix

• joycewwct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry justaguy. I didn't mean to imply that this was in any way a duplicate of Al's mix. But since I have not yet located bark fines I was happy to find a product that is partially made of composted bark fines rather than either a heavy soil mix or a mix that is just peat and pearlite, which seemed to be what the stores did carry. This mix is composed of the bark and sphagnum peat and pasteurized poultry litter and my guess is that the texture might be good for plant growth. But if anyone has suggestions on how I could improve it with materials I can find that would be helpful.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

If you're looking for bark fines, try the "mulch" section at your local nursery or garden center.
    I've found a product called "Micro Bark" that works well in a mix. The bark pieces are comparable
    to the smaller bagged "Orchid Bark" sold at most stores.

Speaking of Orchid Bark....if your nursery offers Orchid Bark in the small or fine grade, you can
    probably use that in your mix. Large Orchid Bark will be too large, of course.

Josh

• joycewwct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Josh but I have looked at the mulch sections. Some were just getting unloaded for the season so I may do well later when they are more organized. In the northeast mulch keeps the ground cold in the spring so I imagine it is not a big seller just yet. I think I have seen Orchid Bark, so I could look at that. What I saw was small bags so I would presume it would be expensive.