Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minkemack

Offering rare CLIVIAS

minkemack
15 years ago

I just moved, and have a mess of Clivias - in the move, some rare ones got mixed up - the tags fell out - including my WHITE one, including my PURPLE one, including my GREEN one, and lastly including my GREEN THROAT yellow, and GREEN THROAT white, and my GREEN THROAT orange. Those, plus a few yellows and oranges, pastels, and reds.

Most of them are 2 to 3 years old. I would rather focus my efforts elsewhere, than wait painstakingly for another 2 years to see what they are, when they bloom.

No, this is not just a gimmick. I imported these plants from China (The orange and yellow ones are from local parent plants that I own.)

Yes, it's a gamble as to which one you will get - but I figured I'd see who might be interested in trying these out.

I'm looking for other rare trades. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• minkemack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also have multiple seedlings that I grew from seed, that I imported from China. These could be anything! I'll include these here for trades.
    Special trades please. Thanks

• mickeys_rose
    15 years ago

What are you looking for specifically?
    I am interested in these and would gamble on what color they might be.
    I have Adenium Obesums they are on the rare side. I have several varieties that I would let go for some of yours. They are also seedlings and are 1 yr old.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

As a GW member who had been on here since 1997, I want to remind you to be leery of someone offering highly desirable plants and seeds, who just JOINED GW TODAY - be very careful - do a google.com search for this person's user name - don't get ripped off. I know of several times, over the years, where this happened to someone who was naive about scams/people.

If I am wrong, I will appologize, but 'buyer beware' is my motto.

• faeriebritches
    15 years ago

i too am interested.. let me know a little more detail of what you are looking for. Thanks :)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I have a greenhouse full of unusual plants and this sounds so tempting but I have to agree with Kay. I also am sorry if I'm wrong and I hope that I am but I've been burned before.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I agree with Kay and Karen....no offense meant to mink intended but it NEVER HURTS TO BE CAUTIOUS and insist that you get your trade first before you even think about shipping anything out!

• jaceysgranny
    15 years ago

I also agree with the others. It's nothing against you but it would be better for someone to make a few trades with you on not so rare plants first. I'm one of the people taken in at one time.

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

I have not been here very long but it makes perfect sense to beware. I have done several trades now but when i did my first ones i was asked to send mine first and I did, I can unerstand the aprehention some may have if they have been burned and I know i would not want to be. I do think it odd to want to trade somthing rare like that on the first day also..and also if you went through so much trouble to import them why not wait the 2 years till them bloom..I know I would not give up on somthing i took that much time and money on...especially somthing rare..that part doesnt make sense to me.

• reeselayne
    15 years ago

I am new here as well and it does seem strange to me. Too vague, too new, and no response to these comments. Interesting to say the least. Now if the person came back and posted as to how this looked and offered to send first with established people here that might be different. But the lack of response also seems to indicate something else. Just my .02 worth.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi minkemack,

Please understand that the above posting (as the members said) are not to be taken personally.

You may likely get some nice trades going, but please do be prepared to mail your end of the trade first.

There is a Rate and Review Forum here where you can see the ratings on some traders.

I see that you have checked the box A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.

btw...I thought you might like to know there is no email link on your member page, thus no way to email you.

Please see addressing newbie and newer member issues for instructions on getting it set up.

I suggest you also add your location into the one box provided for the garden zone. See I am zone 5/6 S IN
    Many veteran traders will not respond to trade posts where the member's location is not shown on their member page, as well as in their posts.

hth.

Sue...resident busy body

• minkemack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, wow - Unfortunately I knew what a warm welcome I would get here. I'd been forewarned. So that didn't come as a huge shock to me, however I must say I feel offended.
    Yes, I'm brand new, but I expected a friendly meet and greet, not .... this.
    Some of us are very busy, and I hadn't gotten around to adding the information about my location, etc. And that's just after one day of being here. I haven't responded until now, because again, some of us are busy.

Given the warm and fuzzy welcome I have had here, I will begin by trading some common stuff that I actually don't mind sending first. You expect me to ship out a very rare Clivia first, in the "hopes" that I'll get the other end?
    It does go both ways.
    So, please look for my new post with different plants. When I am more comfortable, and when I get over the shock of the kind of welcome I have gotten here, I might re-offer these rare Clivias.

• minkemack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have attempted to update some of my info, however I won't be posting my e-mail at this point. I don't need messages like the above, going to my e-mail box.

• faeriebritches
    15 years ago

hey there.. I am sorry to see that you got such an unwelcome "welcome".. i am still very interested in your clivias.. if you would be interested in a trade you can message me via my email link. I hope to hear from you.

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I'm sorry you got an unwelcome welcome. YOu could always sell your plants on ebay or craiglist.
    Barb

• sarahbobarah
    15 years ago

Do you have pictures you could post? I might be interested

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

I dont think it is so much an unwelcome as all are welcome..its more of a caution. Especially from those who have been burned. But if there is understanding and a willingness to ship first then that shouldnt be a problem either...you can always check up on some one you are shipping to to see if they have a good history.

RR

• bigmama4ever
    15 years ago

please dont take it the wrong way, you have got these nice plants and all ofus would hate you lose them, im sure that if the other people would have been warned they would have thanked them..i personaly have just recived dirt and a twig once. i would like to send u some pics of what i have , but u dint post an e mail, so hers mine one4everbigmama@yahoo.com norma

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

I'd like to see photos too, or a link to a photo. I never heard of a purple clivia.

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,

I have grown many Clivias and regularily communicate with some of the best hybridizers of Clivias in the world. I have never seen or heard of a purple Clivia. Dave Conway has one he describes as having a purplish seed cover. This is about as close to purple in Clivias we get. Since many Chinese sellers have inaccurately described their plants, I have to wonder if the original poster is just repeating the story he had when he acquired these "rare" Clivias. I certainly don't want to give an "unwelcome welcome," but I would be very careful. Feel free to contact the northamericancliviasociety.org if you need to ask a reliable group about purple clivias. You also can review info at the Clivia Society in South Africa. They recently published their 10th annual yearbook. They show photos of all kinds of nice Clivias, but no purples.

Hopefully this helps.

Craig

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Craig, thanks for clearing the question of the purple Clivia up for us, and for posting a link to the Clivia Society. You are the KING of Clivias and we appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge!!!

• minkemack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,
    No pictures - they are too young for flower photos.
    The Purple Clivia was sold for several months when seeds were available, and regardless of how authentic they are, they are definitely going to be something exciting.
    I have responded to the two of you who are sincere traders. Looking forward to trading with you!

• cliviajohn
    15 years ago

Hi,

Craig is correct there is no such clivia currently that is purple. Anyone interested in clivias visit the clivia yahoo group or do a google on clivia forum. There is a wonderful global website with many breeders from around the world that post. If anyone has a clivia questions, I would be more then happy to assist with questions. I have started breeding clivias with pollen from around the world. would be more them happy to recommend the ideal sellers in China etc.. or who to trust on ebay. Since it takes about 5 years from seed to bloom, one has to be careful to purchase from reliable sources.

John

• krixtina
    14 years ago

wow, do you have any left? I have one plant you may want to trade for, Canary Island Sage. I can send you a large quart size bareroot plant I rooted myself. Otherwise can you tell me what you are selling them for?

Thanks,
    Kris Martinez
    Living Water Nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants I start and sell

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi krixtina ,

Welcome to The Plant Exchange.

I'm sorry, but per the Terms of Service (link at the bottom of the page) and The Special Instructions for the Exchanges, buying and/or selling is not permitted on the forums.

hth.

Sue

• claysoil
    14 years ago

Hey minkemack, how about the contact info for where you bought the purple clivia seeds???

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Did anyone do a trade with Minkemack? I looked over on the Rate and Review Exchange forum and don't see any...

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone