Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyna78

Self Watering Reservoir Use

17 years ago

Hello,

I ordered a few Watering Reservoirs from Gardeners.com. Below is a link to show what I am referring to. I have installed the reservoirs in a few 16" planters and the potting mix is still continuously dry. My plant are not wilting, but they don't look well watered either.

Should I install a wicking fabric? If so, what type of fabric works well? Should I mulch the top of the container to maintain the moisture from evaporating?

Thanks!!

Watering Reservoirs

Comments (5)

• 17 years ago

gyna

It looks like there's no soil wicking chamber for this gadget, so, yes, you'd better add a wick that dangles down into the water reservoir from the soil. Can you make a slit or hole in the bottom of this reservoir-provider for the wick? Lots of posts address the best wicking material in this CG forum, and you have several choices. Your soil should not be dry, just pleasantly damp.

But even worse, there's another issue: no provision is made for watering it too much. Your plants can die for lack of oxygen because water covers their roots. You'll need to drill a small overflow hole in your container at the top of the water chamber (just below the base that holds the soil). That way your overflow hole will allow for the draining of too much water but still leave you with the deepest possible reservoir.

Put some kind of water-saucer under your container to catch any watering overflow, or else water it where it can drip. You can certainly mulch the plant once this thing works. It'll prevent water evaporation from the soil surface.

What are the instructions for containers that have drainage holes? I'd think you'd have to stop them up some way.

• 17 years ago

The reservoir is just that, about a gallon-sized bowl that holds water to 'evaporate' into the soil. The pot does have drainage at the soil line (lesson learned from years ago)...

I'm just not buying the whole evaporation thing. I know that I should have wicked it. Has anyone bought and used these reservoirs? Or bought a self-watering pot from Gardener's supply?

• 17 years ago

I only use the self watering rectangular container (similar to the Earthbox and for outdoor use) from GS and consider it one of the best, if not the best, self watering designs on the market at any price.

In looking at what you purchased I am very skeptical that evaporation is going to do the trick. No reason you couldn't wick it though. Perhaps give GS a call and ask them about the performance of the product you purchased. They tend to have well above average customer service.

• 17 years ago

I just bought a Gardener's Supply Terrazo rectangular self-waterer and I love it. Pricey, yes, but I could not believe how my tomato plants shot up within a week of planting. Very good quality. I have not used the reserviors, but have been curious to try them as I have so many pots that I would like to use as self-waterers. And GS customer service is excellent - give them a call and they will get you the answer.

• 17 years ago

I've used virtually identical waterers. I think the idea is excess water will drain out the bottom of the pot. Air enters the area where the water and roots are through the filler tube. You check the water level with the float indicator in the fill tube.

I've had very good results with the ones I've used. Depending on the plant you are growing they can use lots of water, much more than you might imagine. Check the water level twice a day. Also, a mulch can help conserve water. Earthboxes use plastic film. In more decorative containers I've used a layer of plastic film with decorative bark. I think the wick is a good idea. In some self watering pots I've used the mesh or grating is too large and allows the soil to fall into the water trough. I've solved this by cutting finer wire mesh and putting it in when I'm potting.
    -Hal