Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappleg

Privacy fence in Arizona - zone 9 (w photos)

snappleg
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

It's time to do something about our horrible looking backyard. We have 36 ft on both sides of the house, which we want to block.

I went to our local Moon Valley nursery and as soon I mentioned "privacy", they took me directly to Ficus Nitida. It sounded great in the beginning: it's an evergreen, it is very dense and it is on 50% sale for $200 ($400 w delivery, 1 year insurance & planting). When I came home, I started reading about this plant and found out that

1. it needs a lot of water

2. it can die during winter frost (happened in our area in 2007, if I'm not mistaken)

3. if not watered properly, can develop huge destructive roots

Moon Valley nursery employees didn't offer me any alternatives, they are pushing this plant very hard, and I'm afraid to spend so much money on something which may die if the temperature drops below certain level. Also, even if some trees will recover, some may not, which will leave me with holes in our privacy fence. On a top of it, it's water hungry, and we live in Arizona.

I want some tall shrubs or trees, which will grow fast and block the view completely. What are my alternatives? Thank you!

Also, I would prefer to have this view blocked year-round (currently, one side of our backyard is blocked with community trees, but they shed in winter).I believe our zone is 9 (different web sites show from 8B to 9-10, our zip is 85234)

Also, Moon Valley's employee told that I have 2,5 months to plant Ficus Nitida. I've never planted anything in my life, but I though it was getting too hot for planting any big trees. Later on found some info on planting in AZ--> www.gardeninginarizona.com, and they state the following for April: "Planting: Except for bedding plants, your summer planting should be finished now: summer really starts in May in Phoenix, so it is your very last chance. It is the best month for tropical plants like Bougainvillea, Lantana, Citrus, etc"

{{gwi:19123}}
{{gwi:19125}}
{{gwi:19127}}

Comments (8)

• pennymca
    15 years ago

Sorry, some folks may think I'm on an ealeagnus kick here..

These grow into monster shrubs but can be pruned, hard pruned into something that looks like boxwood hedges, or left natural (when they really get monster-like, up to 15'). Once established, they don't need so much water.

The link indicated they were good for Phoenix area.

Just a thought.

They smell divine when they bloom. Birds love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleagnus pungens

• snappleg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried to find any photos of ELEAGNUS PUNGENS used as a screen and came across TyTy nursery. I cannot stop laughing!!! I don't know who designed their web site, but they Photoshoped photos of plants & inserted half-naked models on almost all of them. It looks.... just stupid... What kind of nursery is this?
    http://www.tytyga.com/product/Elaeagnus+Shrub

{{gwi:19129}}

• snappleg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, I will look at all plants you listed and move this question on Arizona forum.

• xoxosmom
    15 years ago

I went and yahooed ficus nitida and came up with the linked GW discussion. You may have already seen it. I am struggling with deciding about two similar trees (indian laurel) in my front yard. They will become gigantic and while the shade will be most welcome there are other factors I need to consider.

In your circumstance I would be concerned that they would take up your whole yard once they begin to mature. How do you plan on using the space? What would your neighbors think of such a large tree invading on their space?

Here is a link that might be useful: ficus nitida discussion

• marcinde
    15 years ago

Ah, ficus nitida. Thanks to irrigation, YOUR desert yard can look just like one in Illinois!

First off, move on from Moon Valley. There are many, many better places to look in the area. I've been away for several years now, but talk to the folks at the Desert Botanical Gardens. They offer a desert landscaper course, and may be able to recommend someone who actually understands plants AND the fact that Phoenix is, in fact, in an arid climate.

Oh, and the roots from the ficus? Bad. Forget about doing anything underneath them.

• snappleg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To xoxosmom

Well, I haven't decided on Ficus Nitida yet and I believe I will find some other alternatives. I guess, it's ok to have 1-2 trees, but to have a whole row of Ficus Nitida as a fence is too much for our area. Don't get me wrong, I love how it looks and if not for its thirst for water and gigantic size in 5 years, I would love to have it as my privacy fence. Btw lack of space is not a problem, (it is difficult to say looking at the photos provided, but we do have a pretty long backyard).
    Regarding our neighbours... On the sides of our house we have only one neighboring house, and they're not concerned or worried too much about what we feel/think, so I won't even ask them if it's ok to plant tree A or B. Also, people who put children's playground at the corner of their huge backyard obviously didn't care much what their neighbours would think. Besides, we have only 1 bordering corner with them - that's it. I believe it would be only fair for us to block that playground in the future, which at the end will provide shade for their kids - win-win for both. I do care what our neighbors in front of our backyard would think, they are lovely people, but so far I'm not planting anything big on that side of the fence. If I decide to plant some big trees there in the future, I will contact them to see if they mind.

To marcinde

I already checked Summer Winds Nursery, which has a great return policy, but their trees are very small and selection is not that great. Also, I was at Treeland Nurseries, which has a huge selection of local trees of different sizes, but their return policy is 6 months and only 1/2 of the price, considering you bring a dead tree back. If I pay for transporting a dead tree, then transporting a new one back, at the end I will be lucky to get 25%-30% of my initial investment. I figured out only 1 thing after visiting these nurseries - I have to do my research online and come there only when I decide on what I want as people working at the nurseries just want to sell stuff, they don't care much if it will be too big/too small or will take 7 years to grow when I ask for a fast growing trees/shrubs. Also, all 3 nurseries push for Ficus Nitida - their #1 choice.

Thank you, I will check Desert Botanical Gardens' seminars and see if they can give me a good advice on where to shop for plants in the valley.

• mohavemaria
    15 years ago

It's great that you are concerned about the high water use tree moon river recommended to you. With the drought all across the west I'm surprised they aren't pushing thier drought tolerant trees more but a lot of times nurseries are about what is easy to propogate, grows fast, and looks good in a pot. We live in Las Vegas and when the vacant lot next door built a big two story "casita" behind thier new house we too felt the need for some tall screening.

We are using Australian acacias as they are evergreen/evergray, low water use and relatively narrow. We have mulga, A. aneura; willow acacia, A. salicina; weeping acacia, A. pendula and another good screening tree from Australia with the look of an evergreen poplar is the bottle tree Brachychiton populneus. These are also non spiny. Of course we also have some great desert trees from the southwest but these are wider, usually not evergreen and spiny but beautiful. Check out twisted acacia A. Shaffneri, it is ugly in a pot and thorned so nurseries don't push them but after three years with some pruning it is a stunning tree.

Oh, and about the eleaganus that was recommended, it is a beautiful shrub but needs a good spot in the desert, ours fried in the summer so afternoon sun and reflected heat are out as spots for that shrub.

Maria