Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Newbie needs help with Shady front yard landscaping, please :)

homebuyer23
9 years ago

Hi! This is my first gardening forum posts. Just finished our kitchen, now turning our attention outside.

We just had 2 huge overgrown shrubs ripped out from in front of our house. They were in front of the window and I hated how they blocked the window. They were same type as the one that is on the far right. That one we kept bc it was not as big as the other 2.

Now...we are stuck with a barren front. The right side of house is where we ripped out & really need to replace them with something. On the left are 3 azalea bushes that have seen better days, but I think they are Ok.

We live in zone 7 I believe (near Philadelphia) Our house faces East /northeast. This side of the house gets sun in the morning until about 11/12:00, then it is in shade for the rest of the day, especially the area under the large cherry tree.

We plan to go to the nursery tomorrow and can/will ask the knowledgable staff there questions. But I just don't even know where to start.
I have no idea what to look for or what I want. Just checking if anyone here has any advice of what would look nice and in particular, what would actually grow, here.

We have planted some little shrubs and small plants (hostas) in years past & they all die. Admittedly, other than watering it & putting miracle grow on them once in a while, not sure what else I should've been doing.

Feeling so clueless, any help or advice where to start is appreciated!

Thanks!

{{gwi:27790}}
{{gwi:27791}}

{{gwi:27792}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz