Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

What you do to prevent root rot

yellowthumb
15 years ago

Hi All,

We all know the importance to have health roots, actually over 80 % of plant health problem is from below the soil line.

I know good drainage, aeration and root ball size are the keys for healthy roots. But besides those what you do to prevent the root rot? Especially for those of us who live in the north with long and dark winter, but still want to keep the fussy plants like Gardenia and Daphne indoors. The long and dark winter here make the plants more vulnerable to root rot disease, some plants just mysteriously die of root disease no matter how careful you are, sometimes, just one mistake will do.

Some other things I do to keep the health root are:

Use Hydrogene Peroxide on a regular basis.

Use beneficial root fungi Mycorrhizal.

What about the general purpose disinfectant and fungicide like RD-20?

Any ideas are welcome.

YT

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

A) use an appropriate, well-aerated soil
    B) use proper watering technique
    C) if you find your soil retaining too much water, insert a wick through the drain hole and tilt the container at a steep angle after every watering
    D) use distilled or RO water to prevent soluble salt accumulation if you cannot use a proper watering technique
    E) try to maximize light levels if you suspect a slow soil - it increases water usage

I do LOTS of repots and dig around in the root balls of plenty of woody plants every year (easily more than 100 annually), and I usually only see evidence of mycorrhizal colonization in early spring and late fall when soil temperatures are appropriate. I've never seen evidence of colonization in plants kept indoors. While mycorrhizal symbiosis does make water more available to plants by extending the range and efficiency of roots, an appreciable presence does not necessarily insure that water will be used from the soil any faster than if the extent of colonization was nearly negligible. Additionally, use of disinfectants, and particularly fungicides, will destroy mycorrhizae.

Al

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Al,

That's my discovery too about the mycorrhizae, the benefits is marginal, so I discontinued to use it indoors. I am keeping the peroxide though. So a sterilize soil it is in the container. No sure about the benefits of disinfectants like RD-20 in container culture.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I grow an extensive collection of bulbs indoors, and I'm in zone 5, where the winters are frigid and long. I have found that healthy roots can be maintained by planting in clay pots, using a very porous medium that doesn't retain too much moisture for too long a time. Good air circulation helps a lot, as does the proper amount of light. Careful and proper watering techniques are essential, as well.

I use un-softened water, and I leach my potted plants on a regular basis to help eliminate accumulated salts and minerals. I also make certain to keep each bulb or plant in the proper sized pot, re-potting when necessary.

All of these things combined, keep my plants' root systems healthy and growing well.

I recently un-potted a group of Sprekelia bulbs to separate them, and they had the most beautiful root systems I've ever seen! They were potted in a clay pot using a porous medium that drains quite freely, and they have been outdoors since spring. I really feel that allowing them to grow outdoors helped immensely, and I wish I had the proper place to bring all of my potted plants outdoors for the summer months. The combination of sunlight, natural breezes and air flow, and all the rain we've gotten have really made a difference in the health of those bulbs!

And I have Al to thank for pointing me in the right direction for the excellent medium I'm now using!

• nicole__
    15 years ago

In addition to all the other great ideas on this thread, I use terracotta planters with pot feet, to encourage air circulation.