Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kachana_gw

511 mix - ? about micronutrients

Kachana
9 years ago

I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I created a post, and I couldn't find it, so I'm trying it again.

I plan to make the basic recipe of Al's 511 mix. I will add Lime and Osmocote, however, I do not have micronutrients at this point. If each time I water with all purple Miracle Grow fertilizer, will that be sufficient for the plants? Will adding Epsom salt make up for something also? And finally, if/when I get Foliage Pro, I do not need anything else?

Thanks,

Kachana

Comments (8)

• Ernie
    9 years ago

Yes, your plants will be fine as long as you use a soluble fertilizer that includes micronutrients. Miracle-Gro doesn't include calcium and magnesium (Foliage Pro does), but the lime that you add should supply sufficient calcium and, if it's dolomitic, magnesium as well. If it's not dolomitic lime, then supplementing with epsom salts (for magnesium) would be wise. Finally, if you're going to use Miracle-Gro, I'd suggest the All Purpose product.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Just seconding with Shazaam said. :)
    Most hydroponics stores sell Foliage Pro; that's where I get mine.

This post was edited by Sugi_C on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 21:58

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

If you can find the original Osmocote Plus then it contains ALL of the major and minor nutrients. All you need to add is the lime.

Dynamite CRF also contains all the majors and minors and is favored by many members.

TYG

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies, TYG, Sugi_C, and Shazaam. I'm still confused, so let me try one more time, and please bear with me. This is exactly what I'm going to do:

To the 511 mix, I'm going to add Dolomite lime (Epsoma brand) and Osmocote Plus (I don't know if it's original formula or not, so I'm attaching a picture below). Based on your replies, the mix should all the major and minor nutrients. Does that mean I DO NOT need to supplement with fertilizer at every watering?

If I still need to fertilizer at every watering, what product/brand do you recommend?

Thanks so much,

Kachana

• Ernie
    9 years ago

That looks like the new Osmocote Plus w/ micronutrients formula, and my understanding is that it isn't as complete as the old stuff that's now discontinued. Nonetheless, it should work just fine for you, especially if also use Foliage Pro. The Garden Lime is probably calcitic (as opposed to dolomitic), which means that it's a good source of calcium but not of magnesium. That's not a big deal, though, because your Osmocote probably has it (check the label). Even if it doesn't, you won't need to worry about supplementing with epsom salts (for magnesium) if you also fertilize with Foliage Pro. So, to boil it down...

1. Add 1 tablespoon of Garden Lime per gallon of potting mix. This will raise the pH and provide supplementary calcium.
    2. Add 1 tablespoon of Osmocote Plus per gallon of potting mix. This will provide a low, steady dose of nutrients for several months.
    3. Fertilize weekly with a water soluble fertilizer like Foliage Pro (ideal) or Miracle-Gro All Purpose (good enough) at label rate (or more frequently at lower strengths).
    4. Supplement with 1/8 to 1/4 tsp per gallon of epsom salts ONLY if the Osmocote doesn't include magnesium AND you're using Miracle-Gro.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shazaam:

Thanks so much. You provided, exactly, the info I need for each different scenario.

FYI: The Epsoma Garden Lime is dolomitic, according to the label, and this new Osmocote Plus provides some Magnesium but no Calcium.

Once again, thanks for this much needed info.

Kachana

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Kachana,

Shazaam gave you good advice, much the same as I was going to recommend. I used the Osmocote Plus (original formula) this year with very good success in 5-1-1 soil for growing trees. Bottom line is that they all did very well.

Either the CRF route or the Foliage Pro route will work just fine.

Thanks.

TYG

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, TYG. Glad to hear this mix works out for you. I'm going to use 511 soil for kaffir lime, curry leaf plant, and adenium seedlings. I bought a HUGE box of general all purpose Miracle Grow Fertilizer from Costco early this summer (before I knew about Foliage Pro), and will use this up before getting Foliage Pro. If I don't see good results, I will probably bite the bullet and replace it with FP.

Thanks,

Kachana