Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

'patting self on back'

lindaruzicka
16 years ago

I just enabled 8 freecylers with Rose of Sharon seedlings. The bank behind my house had a bunch of them. I pulled them out, posted on free cycle and BOOM...gardeners came out of the woodwork! That's one way to move some stuff that needs a new home..."L"

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

WOW! I had thought of that...with ROS and maybe a few other things. GTK they will come out of the woodwork. I thought it might be a way to meet a few other local avid gardeners. right now I would not welcome any gardener to see things as they are outside. I have been busy for months digging Star of Bethlehem bulbs b4 they go dormant and outta sight.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was surprised at how fast and how many! I may throw a few other things that I have too many of at them. I have an awful lot of russian stonecrop sedum. It's a nice ground cover but it's covering things that I don't want coverd..."L"

• medontdo
    16 years ago

when do star of bethleham go dormant? i have some i i want to dig up i think, LOL they sure are pretty. :')) we were transplanting last night and the kids hot pink hibiscus came up!! from the seeds, i just hope they live, this is the first time i've ever done this on hibiscus!! the bad part is all of my markings came off!! LOL well i should say the kids's home work/science project. LOL

16 years ago

i have some i i want to dig up i think, LOL they sure are pretty. :'))
    I sure hope you are digging them up and putting them somewhere where they will die.
    Star Of Beth (aka sob) is my gardening nightmare throughout the whole gardening season....but I won't get into that.

Here is my rant elsewhere.
    Honestly now-can Ornithogalum Umbellatum bulbs ever be killed off
    I did not try what was suggested, but did find where Purdue had done some testing with paraquat and it killed it off by 70% in one season...so using it, I could get them killed off in say 3-4 years. Paraquat is such a dangerous chemical, it requires a license to buy it. If it is that bad, I don't want to have anything to do with it...sigh...so I will just dig each spring from Feb/late until May or so.

See...you got me started on the sob rant again...sigh

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ohhh my, if it isn't one rant its another!! LOL HEE HEE, i'd like them in one area that cats or dogs can't touch!! i do only know that they are poisonous. my tabor has gotten into digging up the garlic and eating it, LOL the wild kind, goofy kid!! LOL love him to pieces!! but he's healthy as a horse in his veins i suppose!! LOL
    ya the people who owned this house befor us, decided to plant TONS and i mean that literally of them little bitty hyacinth plants that come out in first of spring, so when i started digging up the area in spring for my tomatoes on year, i had like at the very least 100 or so of them bulbs. i was just giving them away, tha was befor i was on gw of course!! LOL now i still have tons of them!! LOL they are mixed in with the sob.

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Hey, Sue, I was wondering if perhaps lasagna gardening could kill off your SOB's. I know that not much aside from what you plant in it will come up through it, perhaps it would be a less dangerous alternative? I know much about them, aside from that they are very invasive, but I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if it had occurred to you to try this? I was thinking it might be a way for you to be able to reclaim that area for something more enjoyable without having to resort to chemicals. I'm sorry if it has, but it was just something I was thinking about earlier.

Kathy

16 years ago

I was wondering if perhaps lasagna gardening could kill off your SOB's.
    Nope...that wont do it. I have a big mulch pile of tree trimmer mulch. The sob have come up in it were the mulch is 12-14 inches deep.

The camper shell (truck topper) fell over last winter, and the top of the shell is laying flat on the ground. I just know that once I empty the water out of it and pick it up, that I will find that the sob still came up under it. I'll try and get pics once I pick it up.

What does anyone bet that it came up in total darkness after being covered about 5 months (more or less)?

I had some pieces of drywall I had laid on the ground behind the shed...just to see if they 'might' smother it. NO...it came up, and the foliage grew real long, reaching for the edge of it and daylight.

I may try solarization on a small scale with clear plastic pinned to the ground during the very steamiest months this summer. The bad part about that though is trying to keep 3 doggies off of it with their sharp toe nails...sigh.

I'm heading to the woods with my furbabies to look for wildflowers I don't have and maybe mushrooms.

Sue

Sponsored