Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlkauai

safe to hatch babies in hen house?

mlkauai
13 years ago

I have a blond rhodie who is frequently broody, unfortunately. She lives with 7 other red hens and they never brood.

I've heard it not safe to allow hens to hatch in coop area.

Mine has plenty room and access to large run from there.

Will the other hens harrass and or even kill any potential babies if i don't take measures to break her set?

Comments (2)

• keshia_parker5683
    7 years ago

I would say yes. The first year I hatched my own chicks and when they were old enought to be without the heating lamp I put them out with the other chickens and they kept pecking at them so I took them back inside. I had to build another area outside for them. We made it next to the other chickens so they would be able to see each other all them time so when they were the same size they wouldn't fight. It seemed to work pretty well. I did wake up one morning to a dead chicken that they had pecked to death. Hope this helps.

• mersiepoo
    7 years ago

With our hen, we had a separate pen inside the coop where mama and her babies were in. The peeps were safe and the hen took care of them, thankfully. If they got out they weren't killed, but I've been making sure to cull any particularly vicious, mean birds so it starts to favor birds with a nicer disposition.