Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basilmom_gw

Hay is down.....

basilmom
18 years ago

I love this sight when the hay is down...it's one of my most favorite things. I wish we had blue skies today so the pictures were more interesting. This is the property looking from about the middle of the 100 acres, toward the house and farm buildings. The house is the farthest right (red) just behind the tree. The horse barn is to the left (grey), then the chicken coop (straight white roof) with the equipment shed immediatly behind that. On the farthest left are the tramp sheds and dairy barn, and to the right of that is the farm house that we rent out. In the center is what is left of the old bank barn (brown square) that we lost to a tornado about 6 years ago. And I think you can see the white farm house in the center with the big trees - that's our rental house. If I knew how to paste the shots together, it would be a panoramic, going left. In the last picture, it's my daughter on the 4 wheeler with dad...in a Princess costume *sigh*.

{{gwi:33888}}
The hilly grass (picture below - not mowed) is a sliver of the horse pasture.

{{gwi:33890}}

{{gwi:33892}}

{{gwi:33894}}

Something about seeing all this hay down just does my heart good....it's even better when it's up in the barn ;).

Comments (6)

• socks
    18 years ago

Breathtakingly beautiful shots! Thanks.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Makes me homesick for the Midwest, and such beautiful contours and colors! You have a great slice of Heaven right on earth Basilmom.
    I remember well the princess days- LOL! It's like Erin's Oliver (and ten million other little boys) and machines; most girls go for princess dresses whether directed that way or not. My daughter climbed trees in tights and pinafores til about age 5 when I insisted she get pants on for such adventures.

• basilmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank YOU socks, for the compliment.
    I just realized I repeated my description of the farm house in the post twice (sorry...I was being pestered to get off the computer).

Pooch, I didn't realize you were from the MW...I miss the west SO bad I could cry most days. I don't think anything can replace mountain ranges in the distance. I can NOT navigate here...I'm lost once on my best day, because there is no point of reference for me. I miss the mountians so bad....
    But days like this make me realize I'm lucky to be here, in Indiana.
    And my daughter is usually wearing some sort of costume...the funny thing about that one in the shot above is that the behind is worn through and it's torn all over the place. We really get our monies worth out of the things ;).

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Born and raised in MN- the corn and soybean part of the state. Visiting area farms was a huge treat for us little city (small town) kids. I still marvel at how absolutely flat and far you can see when approaching the Minneapolis airport. All those neat tidy fields squared off unless disrupted by a lake or winding river.

One time I took the redeye flight from Seattle and oh what a sight to wake up just at sunrise at a lower altitude crossing Minnesota just as the red early sun was casting its colors on all those lakes! Still one of the most impressive sights I've ever seen. I better stop I'll get homesick!

The mountains are indeed beautiful and we get plenty of chances to view them for hours when the skies are clear and you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic LOL! I'd stay right where you are!

• ccox
    18 years ago

Oh Tracy, I'll be right there! Your place is so green and beautiful. I try to remember that you had snow on those green fields just a few weeks ago--so I'm not so jealous. I grew up in Missouri and miss the farmland. Here in the Hill Country of central Texas we have landscape that's hard to describe. It has it's own rugged beauty and if we get rain, it stays green all year.
    It's funny about your hay fields---I think my most favorite sight in farm country is a downed field that has been gathered into round bales. Laying there, all yellow against a green backdrop of trees and a blue sky---pure heaven. I know it's hard work, but it's hard work that's done when it's done. Not like feeding animals, or doing laundry, or cleaning bathrooms. It's something you can actually finish and it's work of art to boot.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Carla

• basilmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Carla, our last snow storm was the last weekend in April. And it's been cold quite a quite bit since then (you'd laugh at how we are sweltering in this 80 degree heat this past week...Memorial Day weekend we were in sweatshirts it was so chilly still!).

I wanted to get a picture of the round bales in the field, but DH was running right behind the baler, picking them up with the skid loader because a storm was coming (it happens like clockwork). He got the last bale in as the tornado sirens started blaring......talk about under the wire!