Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Incoming! Incoming!

Poochella
18 years ago

My Mother's Day gifts! Nigerian Dwarf Mama and son "Margarita" and "Prez" in their first minutes in quarantine in our dog run! They are both very shy and so delicate in structure they make our pygmies look like absolute hogs! I'll be spending much of my day tomorrow getting acquainted.

{{gwi:33948}}

Comments (3)

• boopster
    18 years ago

Uhhmmm, Poochella, you do know that Mothers day was in May, right? LOL. You're guys are cute. Now you need to milk one, and make me some goat cheese! I could live on goat cheese, just love it. What do you do with your goats? just pets?

• Poochella
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was busy in the garden since Mother's Day and there wasn't much around for goats that I could find! They are settling in nicely on day 3 now. Mama goat comes right up(she knows I have food) and the baby is still very shy but willing to grab a bite out of my hand and back off quick.

Always wondered what the big fuss about goats escaping was- I've never had one get out. Well, until wednesday a.m. when I heard a little bleat while out watering, came around the corner of the house to view the little cuties through the dog run fencing at a distance. "So cute," "like little gazelles" thought I, until the little gazelle mother ambled from behind the kennel and was free ranging! It only took her 13 hours to find the low spot in the kennel and burrow under it- amazing. I flew into full bore goat containment mode then because they are new and shy and not likely to come prancing up when I say to.
    Hauled a lot of rocks, logs, stumps, anything I could find to barricade that little monkey IN! So far so good.

We have a lot of work to do on the big goat pasture before these two gain admission. The large goats and the chunky little pygmies could never go under or over- I forsee these two to be challenging.

The 5 month old has the sweetest little face- looks like a lamb.
    {{gwi:33949}}

• Poochella
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The four live as one now. It took us two weeks plus to get the big enclosure (crossing fingers) goat proofed. The little wether doesn't waste any time getting to the dinner table. I wish you could see him fly through the pasture. It's where the builders of the house bulldozed alot of unusable logs/stumps a few rocks. They race up and down the logs and through the grassy areas as if it's Disneyland.
    {{gwi:33950}}

Looks about time to rake up that bale of waste on the ground!