Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

honeybees questions

claraserena
17 years ago

In the thread "Inching our way to self-sufficiency" a couple of people wrote about keeping bees. That's something I've always wanted to do. My concern is the usual one--getting stung, allergic reactions of friends, family, neighbors. We have 20 acres with our house about in the middle. The nearest neighbor is 800 feet--that's a real rough guess.

How hard would it be to start a hive and how far from people would be safe? We have some alfafls, lots of clover and then our garden and some fruit trees (also lots of trees like hawthorne, chokecherry--do those get pollinated?). Could the hives be in a wooded area by a little river/creek? Or do they have to be in an open area?

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Comments (7)

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

You could find a suitable spot where the bees would not bother anyone, even if you had only 1/4 acre. They are very peaceful when left alone. All it takes is to place them in an area where they will not be bothered, and use some common sense, like not placing the hive where the bees' flight path would cross a walkway or some other place where people would tend to be. In northern areas, it's not a good idea to place the hive in a shaded or woody area. They do need some protection in winter, such as a windbreak or tree behind the hive, but in general they should be in an open area. There is a lot to learn, and a good book will also discuss proper hive placement.

• envirocop
    17 years ago

I would say the zone of caution is about 20 feet in diameter around the hive(s). Lawnmowers make them defensive. They like a little water nearby. Facing south, full/mostly sun. Wind break to the north. Heavy mulching around the hives to avoid lawnmovers/stringtrimmers would be ideal. You have plenty of space.

• dreamgarden
    17 years ago

My sister has 40 acres in a rural community in N.C.. She used these books to get started. www.back40books.com/get_list_1156.htm

She and her husband put their hives on their property near the road. The front of the property is fenced and they have at least 500 ft of frontage so they aren't close to the neighbors. It is convenient for them to pull their truck up next to the fence, put on their protective clothing and do whatever is necessary to check on or service the hives without having to lug equipment a long distance.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Hi Claraserena. I can't give you advice about beekeeping as it is still on my "maybe someday" list, but I suggest you take a look at the GardenWeb Bees and Beekeeping Forum for detailed information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bees and Beekeeping Forum

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

I've not kept them, but common sense says that while you want them far enough out of the way that neither they nor you are unduly disturbed, you will need access to get honey, as well as need to check at fairly regular intervals to be sure the hive is healthy, so you need to weigh both needs in deciding on the placement of the hives. Being able to get a vehicle nearby, both when collecting honey, and when checking hives, would make you less of a personal pack-mule on their behalf!

• Pooh Bear
    17 years ago

We used to let a man keep them on our property.
    Probably had them there 30 years.
    Started out in the front yard. Till us kids started bothering
    them. Then they had to be moved further away from us down
    into the field. But eventually the yard expanded to include
    the bee hives. So then they had to be moved to the very back
    of the field. Stayed like that for 20 years. Only problem
    was when we mowed too close or used the rototiller too close
    to the hives. Sound of the motor made them crazy.
    Otherwise they were very peaceful. You could walk up right
    up to the hives and watch the bees come and go.
    Sometimes get real brave and lift the top to peek inside.

How close to place them is how confortable you are with them.
    I like the exibit they had up at Fall Creek Falls state park.
    They had a hive built on a window of the visitor center.
    You could stand inside the center and watch what goes on inside
    the hive. It was really cool. I'd like to do that.

Pooh Bear

• claraserena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all of you!. With your help I've decided on a a good spot for a hive--rightonthe edge of the property--it borders a corn field but the machinery would be no closer than 25 feet. It's open except for one tree. I'm hoping bees will help our fruit trees.
    Now my husband is worried that it will be takng on too much. I know a little about bees from subscribing to The Bee Journal several years ago. I think I will search out a local beekeeper for advice. And I"ll check on the beekeeping forum here. Thanks all!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH