Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulldinkie

What Animals do You Have?

bulldinkie
17 years ago

We have a herd of Texas Longhorned Cattle,3 horses,2 tennessee walker geldings 1 quarter horse mare (bred due in September.We have 2 miniature donkeys,chickens,2 white mute swans getting ready to nest,a yellow lab,a jack russell,2 cats,cockatiel,55 gallon aquarium.

Comments (40)

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

We don't have much, but we have enough to keep us at home. Unfortunately, we have to be here every single day and night to open up and shut the chickens so they can free range.

We also have three cats that are not yet a year old. They were a litter left by a cat and her boyfriend that were killing our chickens last spring. We had to re-locate those two to (heaven) and then realized we had kittens to raise. We had them spayed/neutered and they grew up with the chickens that their parents didn't get around to eating. They are certainly worth it. We have lots of voles and mice and it seems they are doing a pretty good job of taking care of those problems.

We also have a 15 yr. old geriatric dog that is now deaf and probably won't last much longer. She has been a constant companion for us and we will miss her.

• johanna_h
    17 years ago

2 Briards (herding dogs), 3 cats, 17 hens and a rooster named Egglebert.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Eight Dominique hens and one Dom rooster, a trio of Pilgrim geese and one American Buff, three excellent rabbits who produce fine young'uns, and one wonderful dilute calico moggie, Marilla, who rules the house and benevolently allows us to live here as long as we serve her.

All except the cat are expected to multiply starting very soon. :)

• jillylam
    17 years ago

I have 7 chickens and 2 labs. I'm really hoping to start some sheep soon but still have some research to do. My favorite cattle are Belted Galloways but they'll have to wait for my next bigger farm. Sorry, I forgot this was about what animals we have not our wish list:)

• snycal
    17 years ago

2 (plus one in freezer) Turkeys, 100 or so Chickens (mostly black Orpingtons) 5 goats (soon to kid), one dog, pheasants (don't ask), and soon to get a couple piglets for this years freezer.

• kimberlee
    17 years ago

Two cows (1 Gelbvieh & 1 Angus-Gelbvieh cross) due to calve in the next couple of weeks, twin steer & heifer - last year's calves for 4-H this year, pony, 50+ chickens - bantam & standard - some for 4-H, 1 rabbit, 5 cats - 3 barn & 2 house, two dogs, four parrotlets, 1 mouse, goldfish in the stock tank, three aquariums - 1 large, 2 small; in spring we add two pigs and two lambs for 4-H.

• lfrj
    17 years ago

We just started a year ago on 5 thatch covered, somewhat woodsy acres. We've come a long way but will have trouble get untangled from the day jobs. At present our charges include 4 Indian runners, 2 Buff orps, 2 toulouse geese, 1 brown chinese dam and her gander.

We also have an Australian Cattle dog 5 mos and in training, and 1 cat "w/a golden paw" (freshly healed from an expensive broken leg which I've discussed with him, will cost him many rats this spring)!

Our next step will be toward more meat yielding livestock - rabbits, muscovies. Future plans also include milk sheep or goats, even gave thought to a pig to root up things a bit.(to help conquer all that thatch).

Now, ask about our gardens!!!

• acorn
    17 years ago

One horse I had him 29 years so far, he was born in my arms. Seven chickens, five pigmey goats(brush clearers), six cats and two dogs. I have six acers. We also have a pond with bass and catfish.

• shellybabe
    17 years ago

I have one goat (soon to be three) and two rabbits, (in a month will be more!) and soon to get some ducks. all being raised for meat, eggs and milk for my family

• boopster
    17 years ago

4 horses, 2 TB's, a Paint and a Paint/Percheron X. 9 sheep, 3 are new lambs :) The sheep are Dorpers, and I really like them. 3 cats, 15 koi, and 5 Border Collies. I actually only have the sheep to work my dogs on, but I wouldn't mind owning a sheep ranch! I've really grown fond of sheep. And I can't imagine how people work sheep without dogs, they are truly amazing.

• jdeibel
    17 years ago

2 Labs, male (thunder) and female (twinkle). They are 2 years old and we've had them since puppyhood. They are so
    awesome and give much love.
    3 ducks, 2 females Belle & Lee) and a male Louie). 1 muskovy and 2 pekings. The females lay beautiful eggs , which we are enjoying eating. Lastly, there are about 27 Koi, ranging from 2 inches to nearly 7 inches.

• circa1825
    17 years ago

I have 10 chickens:
    Buff-Laced Polish: Rooster (male) and Noodle.
    Barred Rock: Big Bird, Midway, and Half Pint.
    Rhode Island Red: Raspberry Rumple and Rhoda.
    Easter Egg: Hawk (male), Butter, and Chicken Jane.

I also have a Blue and Gold Macaw named Blue Bayou and an Umbrella Cockatoo named Tekla.

And I have three aquatic turtles: P-Turtle and C-Turtle are red-eared sliders and A-Turtle is an African mud turtle.

Losses since we've lived on the farm include my nearly 16 yr old dog, Sainte Catherine; two iguanas, Oaxaca and Tourmaline; my adopted Lovebird, Bogata Bogey; my other Umbrella Cockatoo, Tiki; one Rhode Island Red named Henna; and one Buff-Laced Polish named Tina T. (short for Tina Turner). :-(

• more_to_grow
    17 years ago

We have an ole' yellow dog and an order of chickens on the way and guineas to follow mid May. A crafty fox breached my coop twice late last fall and killed the chickens I had, but in the end wasn't altogether too crafty;).

The wish list consists of a miniature donkey, something to keep my lawn mowed and forest edge at bay perhaps goats and or sheep, a pony for the kids, some turkeys.

We have 18 acres with an option for the 60 next door. I am building a barn and things will come together as that project is completed.

• sandyl
    17 years ago

Hello
    I Live on 10 acres in the country and I have 14 pet goats, which I feed daily, grain and hay. I have one beagle, and 1,500 gal garden pond with 40+ fish, goldfish, kio, and others, I have two parekets in the house,they are almost 2 years old. I also enjoy birds outside and have probably close to 15 birdhouse around my property. I feed birds year around. Lots of nest building going on now. I order two additional bird house just this morning. Sandy

• sullicorbitt
    17 years ago

I currently only have 15 chickens and 4 silkie chicks but the incubator has around 20 growing chicks due in a week. I also have 2 Pilgrim goslings on order to be picked up in mid April.

We also have 2 dogs, rough tri-colored collie and lab/shep mix, three cats and a 2200 gallon pond w/ever multiplying goldfish and frogs. My family thinks we are nuts.

-Sheila

• bigdually
    17 years ago

Currently we have 1 (queen) cat, 2 buffalo, and a new puppy, along with 3 boys under 10, so we have our hands full. We did have along with these along with 2 bee hives, but when we moved we had to sell the hives, and 24 Rhode Island reds. We hope to increase our lot with the purchase of some longhorns, and the boss (wife) is looking at getting at least one horse, more then likly 2. I also found and unwanted animal today on our 10 acres here, a copperhead snake.

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

We have about 60 adult Rideau Arcott sheep and 2 black crossbreds. We also have 3 guardian animals: a donkey and 2 llamas. The barn also has 2 hard working cats. We have 1 housecat as well.

• bjcoop
    17 years ago

We have 30 hens (29 rares + 1 hopping JG) 1 good ole dog--rescued brindle mutt, and 2 peacable beta fish. Wishing for more.... We are surrounded by woods with plenty of 'wild' life (hungry neighbor dog, foxes, owls, hawks, skunks, and chipmunks) who keep us on our toes.

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

Three miniature donkeys, 2 dogs: Dakota who is currently on antibiotics for an abcessed tooth, husky/lab mix and Lilly, who is a shepard/collie mix ... 5 house cats.

There is a lot of shedding going on at the moment. :>)

• vinnyc
    17 years ago

We have 3 rabbits and 4 chickens and we are working on getting 4 ducklings.

• roxann3576
    17 years ago

Two surviving chickens (at our house in town), nine horses (husband's hobby) split amongs two pastures, 14 cows and some calves.

Roxann

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

120 cows with calves, 15 open heifers, 4 bulls, 1 three legged, 3 year old heifer (totally worthless) one Australian shepherd and 2 cats.

Janet

• lyndainvirginia
    17 years ago

my husband and I have a 14 acre farm, and on this farm we have:
    100+ chickens, standard and banty, 4 ducks, 3 guinis, 2 tom turkeys, 4 cats, 1 dog and a pregnant goat.
    keeps me busy, and I love every minute of it.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

We have a small herd (14) of beef cows. Here is the twins that were born Wednesday. Keeping them in the barn until the mother can remember she has two! lol!
    {{gwi:37323}}

• jlynnandfriends
    17 years ago

Well, we have 17 chickens, 4 cats, 8 dogs, and 7 horses.
    4 of the dogs are Rat Terriers, one is a Basenji/Rat Terrier cross, one is a tiny, very old Pomeranian, one is a long haired Dachshund, and one is a "WeenieWaWa"...that would be a miniature Dachshund/Chihuahua cross. We have done dog rescue/adoptions for 7 years, and out of 75-80 dogs adopted into carefully screened homes, we managed to end up with 5. Two joined the family as puppies before we started doing rescue, and one since we decided to take a break from rescue. (The adorable long haired Dachshund).
    Our horses are 6 Arabians, and one Icelandic. Our 4 cats are also rescues. We don't take trips together...obviously one of us has to be here, but, we don't mind. The animals are our "kids" and we love them very much. The human kids are in their 30's now, and at this point we have 4 grandchildren who visit occasionally. I'd say raising animals is easier than raising kids these days. Those grandkids are mighty cute, though!
    ~Jan~

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned having a milk cow yet. We don't have one either, but are seriously thinking of adding a Jersey to the mix.

We've had laying chickens for a few years now and currently have 17 and a rooster. For pets we have a blond lab (Kizzy), a Basenji (Rusty), three cats and a brand new Border Collie mix named Winnie.

We only have 5 acres (half wooded and a pond) but with some additional fencing I think it would work for a smaller Jersey and maybe her calf. The deciding factor is the committment it involves and WHO would be responsible for the milking.

If anyone has some advice in this area please feel free to comment. I also visit the "Keeping a Family Cow" site and have been doing alot of research.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

At the point that I retire I plan to have a milk cow. I think the thing to keep in mind is that you don't want world record breaking production here. Personally, I'd go to a dairyman and ask him to show you his lowest producers. Then inquire as to their age and reproductive health. Though you'll be picking from his cull cows you don't need a cow that won't breed back. Good feet and legs are necessary and steer away from the ladies with little half inch long teats unless you're planning to machine milk. Keep away from cows that show definite median suspensory ligament problems as well as bulging foreudders. I'd want a cow on her second or third calf.

Personally, I'd milk once a day. If I milked in the morning I'd get what I wanted to take to the house and then turn the calf in with her. If she's a very high producer you may need to have more than one calf. Then that night, pen the calf up and turn the cow out until the next morning and start over again.

Janet

• hotzcatz
    17 years ago

Not too many animals now but it is spring so soon there will be more. Just under half an acre so not much room for the larger animals, but there's four hens (auracana, cuckoo marans, lakenvelder/auracana cross & buff orphington) and a guinea hen out back along with two border collies to keep them in line. Our friends have two kittens for us since our old cat died last fall and we will probably put in an order this spring for some Pilgrim geese to help keep the grass in the back yard under control. There're also three freshwater aquariums with angelfish, goldfish and guppies.

If we get a larger place, then there would probably be some cows or sheep along with maybe a burro or small mule but we don't have a bigger place yet.

• beeliz
    17 years ago

ok..we have 2 dogs,(one 3 legged dalmatian and a small mixed breed of pom and chiuahua) 5 cats all rescued,3 turtles in a 40 gallon tank with fish, 10 zebra finches,4 hens 1 rooster 2 pekin ducks with 5 adorable ducklings,4 mini lop rabbits and 2 dwarfs due in 3 weeks....I think thats it,would love to have more but not enough $$$$
    we had a pot bellied pig called black betty...she was awsome,and lot's of fun!

• cymraes
    17 years ago

10 horses/ponies, 1 Briard, 1 German Shepherd, 1 Westie, 1 house cat, 5 barn cats, and soon to add either ducks or chickens for bug control.

• tejas_pacas
    17 years ago

On my 6 acres, I have 13 alpacas and board 5 more. One 20 yr old foundation qtr mare and board a qtr mare. Border collie and Great Pyrenees and 5 in/out cats. Oh, and 11 hens w/one rooster. Mix of assorted bantams and 2 araucana.

They keep me busy, since I work full-time, too.

• beeliz
    17 years ago

To add to my last write up..we just got a 11 week old pug as well now!! She's beautiful,and her name is Lacey. pure black... :)

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

We have 2 rabbits... had bunnies, but the bunnies were eaten a few days ago by a huge bull snake. :-(
    a Tom Cat
    a very talkitive parakeet
    several betta fish
    a Chameleon
    We are expecting our new chicks on Monday...
    Buff Orphs, RH Reds, Dominiques, partridge rock, Black Astrolorp, Silver lace and Gold Lace Wyandottes, golden campine and one Speckled Sussex Rooster.

We want to find one purple and one coral blue guinea to replace the ones we had.
    Not only were they the greatest bug catcher in the world, they were quite entertaining too!

We also have a fox that lives on government property on the other side of our fence, that paces back and forth near the edge of the pasture, trying to get in.
    Very unrabbit like...the rabbits thought it is entertaining(and VERY brazen!) to tease the fox, hopping back and forth on the opposite side of the fence!
    That fox was going insane and I freaked out!
    This bold behavior promted me to put the mommy bunny in a cage...
    Daddy bunny loves to be pet, but is too "wild" to put in a cage, he will hurt himself trying to get free.
    No common sense!

We are making the coop and chicken area "ultra Fox free"
    Any and all ideas welcome!
    We also have skunks and raccoons around that we are deterring from this area.

Now I am worried about the bull snake.
    I am fine with him being on the property as long as he only eats mice and rattlers and leaves me and my pets(and their off spring) alone!

• scoote
    17 years ago

if i were you i would find the snake and kill it.oh yeah my pets i have 2 ducklings,2dogs(jack russel and a chiwawa/pomerainian)2 cats(one black and one calico)a baby hamster,2 birds(cocatiel and a parakeet)2 betas,2 leperd gecos(soon to be more)and two baby read eared sliders(at panama city they are only six doallars!!!) thats it. me and my mom and dad are fixing to move to the country were going to have a pond with koi fish. plus we might get a horse and some goats reply plese

• beeliz
    17 years ago

hey Scoote,how old is your pomchi? I have one to and he's 10 months..we absolutley love him..great cross! and very intelligent

• scoote
    17 years ago

he is 6 and getting cuter by the second. WE got him at the pound. he was the only dog (small) there!

• beeliz
    17 years ago

Did you get him as a pup? And I know what you mean by cuter by the second..oh my god! Howie is my handsome little prince, he's so charming..I love the cross!!

• scoote
    17 years ago

no actually we got him 2 years ago. no one wanted him because the onners before us made him take a bath every day. so he got a skin rash and he had fleas!(he is allergic to fleas he gets really really bad rashes)so we went to the pound (just to look) and ended up getting him! its been 2 years and he is looking very better than he did! now he is flea free and grrew this hair back! thanks BYE!- SCOOTE

• therealshari
    17 years ago

Today we have 1 horse (2 yr old Thoroughbred gelding), 5 sheep (2 bred ewes, one ram, and 2 bummer lambs, a girl and a banded boy named "Freezer"), 5 dogs (4 large and 1 med), and a beta fish.

By next week, we'll have 35 chicks and another 3,000 redworms.

We also feed in excess of 100 wild birds on a regular basis.

You can follow along with our farm progress at the link below. Between two of us, we try to maintain and frequently update 4 blogs about our farm life.

The funniest one is written by my dog, Sarah "the Spinach fits... I mean Finnish Spitz".

Shari in Beryl Utah

Here is a link that might be useful: Shari's Gone Country

• solar_sweetie_2007
    16 years ago

(Takes deep breath) 5 cats, 31 chickens, 1 rooster, 10 rabbits, 3 possums, 4 hedgehogs, 8 foxes, and a whole other array of animals I can't remember, but if I could, I would tell you:)