Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooken_gw

Update on 'Help, I found a baby duck!'

brooken
19 years ago

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for all the advice and help we got in how to care for the baby duckling that wandered up to our house a couple days ago.

Sadly, the duckling died last night.

I think I did everything I could for the little guy. Heat lamp, all the different types of food were offered (grass, dandelions, starter feed, growth feed) and water. He seemed to be drinking fine, and would get right in the dish and put his mouth down in it. He didn't seem not to feel well, he really liked to sleep inside my shirt and would sit and nibble around my skin until he fell asleep. We even drove around yesterday looking for a feed store that had ducklings for sale so that I could get him a friend so he would not be lonely.

Yesterday when I read that someone had posted about ducklings being vigourous eaters, I knew I was in trouble though. Ultimately I dont think the little one was eating enough.

So thank you all again for all of the help. I will keep it for sure in case I ever encounter a baby duck in need of help again.

Brooke

Comments (8)

• cheribelle
    19 years ago

Oh Brooke, I know you're sad over this, but you tried, and that is sometimes all you can do. I am having an issue with my chicks right now, hopefully done losing them, but with a stray duckling like that, there is no telling how it got to your door, what kind of things happened to it on the way, etc. Better luck next time!

• motherduck
    19 years ago

Really sorry to hear the sad ending. You did what you could--certainly more than most people.

• velvet_sparrow
    19 years ago

I'm sorry you had to experience this. :( But good for you for taking in the little one and trying. Sometimes all we can do for animals is give them a safe, warm, and loving place to pass away. You are a good heart. :)

Velvet

• brooken
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Cheribelle, Velvet and Motherduck for your kind words. We are sad to have lost this little guy but we do feel good about the fact that he was warm and in a safe place when he passed.
    If one good thing has come from this, we do feel now that once we build a pond in our backyard, we would like to add two domestic bred ducklings to our family so this little guy has opened us up to a pet we didnt really know about before now.

thanks again to everyone!
    Brooke

• preciouz
    19 years ago

Ducks are very fun pets, watching them is hilarious. Atleast from this experience you now know that you would like to have some ducks as pets, thats good. Get the ducks when they are babies and they should be good pets.

• chickenmama1
    18 years ago

I'm so sorry you lost your little duckling. You have such a tender heart. I'm sure you'll be able to raise some of your own ducks. I know that won't take away the pain of losing this baby, though. I wish you luck and happiness when you do decide to get some new babies. It's true that they are very funny. You'll about laugh yourself silly when you watch them play. :)
    Maggie chickenmama1

• mnoice06
    16 years ago

I had a baby mallard that was found outside my door w/ out a mom in sight. I gave her plenty of food (unmedicated chick starter mix) and water and then today she wasn't acting right. Then tonight I went to get her out of the cage and I could tell something wasn't right. All of a sudden her head starting coming down and it looked like she was choking. Her legs were twiching and it looked as if she couldn't get air. She then layed motionless and died in my hands. ANY IDEAS..PLESE LET ME KNOW, Thank you.

• claraserena
    16 years ago

We got 2 baby Mallards 4 days ago--may 4 days old. I read all the posts on this forum to figure out what to do. One died w/in 12 hours--it kept getting in the water and then was all soggy. The one left seems ok but now I'm worried that he is not eating enough. He has starter and greens, water and a heat lamp. I hold him an hour a day right next to my skin. Tomorrow we get 6 Buff Orphington pullets and I'm going to try to put them together so he has some company. I don['t know what else to to do for him.