Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Metal Trellis Ideas?

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I am planning to grow my morning glories and moonflower vines over by my butterfly garden and I want to have a sturdy metal trellis. My idea was to take some kind of metal stakes and string fishing wire or twine between them. I saw a bean tower in the Gurney's catalog and all the people that reviewed it said it was sturdy. However, it's a tad expensive. What should I do? I want something metal beacuse it would go into the ground easier (the soil is rocky here).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• patskywriter
    12 years ago

if the soil is rocky, consider pounding rebar into the ground and then winding twine around them. or, you can pound a few lengths of pipe a couple of feet into the ground and then slip rebar into them.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, patskywriter!

I will consider those ideas! I looked at Lowe's site and I'm still gathering ideas here and there but I think the rebar will work.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

I've used an extra piece of wire vegetable garden fencing attached to reused metal poles with twist ties. It holds up well as long as the poles are in the ground deep enough.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Old type box spring would work too. You know the type all metal. You could stake it with a couple of fence stakes or lean it up against a back wall of a garage or other building and let the vines cover it.

Another option is a stake in the ground with a metal bike rim on it. Run wire or good string from the spokes of the wheel down to the ground using tent stakes to secure to the ground.

I've also seen small 4 to 5 inch tree limbs made into a teepee shape. Secured at the top with rope. The weight of the structure keeps it in place. You can run string between the poles to give the runners a place to hook on to or just let them run up the poles.

• clc70
    12 years ago

I made one from wire CD racks I got from the GoodWill. My husband tack welded three racks together. It's over six foot tall. I pounded rebar into the ground and wired it to the rebar. Has held up well.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

You can use an old chainlink panel from an unwanted dog kennel or an old chainlink fence gate. Old wrought iron railings and columns that are no longer in use would work too. I bolted two of my old wrought iron columns together into a big T shape and bolted it to the edge of our concrete driveway to grow a wisteria vine on. Last year I used the frame of an old dog kennel to grow ornamental gourd vines on. This year I will be putting all of the sections to use and make a 20' long arbor to grow morning glories on to create a walk through canopy over a new 5' wide hosta bed down the side of the garage.

You can also use something like a tall piece of chainlink top rail, it comes in 10' lengths, strapped to a T post and use a long dog chain hooked to the top and anchored at the bottom. The dog chain will give the vines something to hold on to and it will hold the weight of a lot of vines. The clip on the end of a dog chain can clip onto the top of the pipe. String won't hold much weight.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Lots of good ideas, everyone! I greatly appreciate them! :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Brad, does your county or town have a dumping station for discarded stuff? Look also on FreeCycle website in your area.
    A vinyl or wooden trellis doesn't cost that much at HD or Lowe's..staple chicken wire to it and you've got yourself a good strong trellis for your vines. I read where somebody took an old floor lamp and used it for their flowering vines.

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

check out vertical gardening forum on GW. i was fairly inspired...

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Brad,
    What about a piece of wood lattice? Both of my wood/vinyl lattice that we bought from HD, somebody told us about buying a piece of pipe and pound it into ground behind the lattice and then wire the lattice to it..gives it support. I bet you could find some old pipe at a local dumping station or maybe go to a plumbing co. maybe they'll give you some old discards.
    You might try FreeCycle or Craig's list in your area.