Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Cow Grazing Choices

goodhors
13 years ago

We are relatively new cattle owners, and seem to learn new things about the cattle all the time. One is a Dexter heifer 15 months, the other is a Dutch Belted steer, 6 months.

They are here to help eat the extra grass the horses are not able to graze down. Cattle are kept apart from the horses, much smaller, and geldings are comedians, might be too rough on them.

Today I let the cattle into a prevously horse only paddock. Horses have been in there daily, but weeds are starting to get a bit tall. The cattle were VERY interested in the fenceline weeds, grazing their way around the whole paddock, while the gate to the field stood open and ignored. Cattle grazed the paddock for a couple hours, eating weeds, before going into the field where there was shade under the trees.

I really thought the horses had eaten all the "edibles" in the paddock, since they wait by the gate to come in each morning. I have mowed the tall stuff a couple times to prevent seeding, but it doesn't look like lawn.

Anyway, interesting to see different grazing desires for each species in action. Glad they like the weeds!

Comments (2)