Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ak_grown

shiny black bugs on apple tree

ak-grown
15 years ago

i planted a 6ft apple tree (golden delious I think) last fall. Then, closer to winter I noticed that a bunch of tiny, shiny black bugs had taken refuge around the colar of the buds and in cracks in the bark. A nursery told me to let them camp out for the winter and spray ing the spring, but he didn't tell me what they might be. What could these bugs be?

Comments (4)

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Ak:

If you planted your tree last fall, and noticed the black bugs in early winter, what was the lapsed time between the planting and the noticing? It doesn't seem like it could be much, and leads me to conclude that the tree may have been infested when you purchased it. What was the source of this tree, was it potted/rootballed or bareroot, and why did you choose to plant such a large tree? Smaller, bareroot trees are nearly always the best choice for vigorous, healthy growth.

I cannot imagine why any nurseryman would tell you to allow insect pests to "camp out" on your tree over the winter. Stay away from this nurseryman for future advice. I don't know what your shiny black beetles are, but God forbid that they are something like ambrosia beetles. If so, you will soon see tiny tubes of sawdust begin to emerge from the trunk. The beetles, whatever they are, should have been dealt with immediately with an effective insecticide like permethrin or malathion. And I am not talking here about those weak and useless "combination" fruit tree sprays. I mean some serious stuff. Insect pests of fruit trees normally act on the leaves, and when you find them on trees without leaves that must mean they are either feeding or boring into the wood to lay eggs. They are not on a KOA vacation.

I would inspect that tree very carefully for physical damage, and whether you can see any or not, would cover the entire tree with a good coating of dormant oil spray. Then, as the tree begins to wake up and leaf out, continue your inspections, and, if necessary, spray with an insecticide. If the problem turns out to be something as serious as ambrosia, then it's over and you might as well take the tree out since these infestations cannot be cured.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• jean001
    15 years ago

Do those "tiny, shiny black bugs" move?

If not, they could be aphid eggs. If so, the oil spray will deal with them. But be certain to remain alert when the leaves come out. You may need to squish those you missed.

• ak-grown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well i cut off a sample branch and took it to the nursery. He looked at it under a scope and told me they were aphid eggs. He gave sold me some organic spray that goes on the garden hose. He said once now and again in two weeks. I sprayed my two trees 2 days ago and so far they are all still there, but i assume because they are planted in the cracks of the tree they wont just fall out right away. I also noticed a few that have hatched and were out crawling around on the branch. Temps here are 25-35 at night and 45-55 in day, and they havn't leaved out yet. Should the spray haved worked yet; or how long does it take to kill off my aphid problem. I think the stuff they sold me is called Organacide.

• jean001
    15 years ago

A spray won't kill the eggs unless it's a dormant oil.

That said, aphids are easy to cope with. Squish them. Or hose them off with a harsh water spray.