Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karri25_gw

New to fruit trees/ need lots of help!

karri25
17 years ago

Hello! I have searched the forums and have not found exactly what I'm looking for. I might have jumped in over my head but there's no turning back for me now! I have one pear, one red haven peach, one macintosh apple, one plum, and two hazelnuts. They rae very small 1-2 1/2 feet tall. My back yard is pretty open with half of it being very well draind and half being partly soggy after rains. On the east side I have semi-shade until noon and the west side has complete sun. I would like to plant on each side of my yard creating a little fence-line of fruit/nut trees. I guess that I need to add that I only have one each of th efruit b/c other people in our area have enough fruit trees that I was told I wouldn't need to buy two for pollination. I live in Arkansas, zone 7. Can I have some advise as to where each tree would do best, how to plant for optimum growth/survival, and if I even stand a chance??? I have been looking online and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to plant within two days. The trees are vare root and are currently in a bucket of water as I didn't know what to do with them while I got ready. THanks so much for any advise!!!!!!

Comments (5)

• gator_rider2
    17 years ago

All plants needs are full sun I put the peach and plum to south on dry side then apple north of them next be pear all on west side yard. I try only hazelnuts in wetter ground east side. But nut tree don't like wet feet also.

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Most trees do not like soggy soil, so avoid that where possible. Plant the taller trees (mature height, not current height) to the north so that they do not shade out then shorter trees.

• jellyman
    17 years ago

Karri:

If the hazelnuts you are planting are what is known as "American Hazelnut" I have a feeling you will regret having planted them. They grow very quickly, are not particularly attractive, and have few to no nuts. The few are very small. I had two of them here, and within 5 years they were over 15 feet, and were quite a chore to cut down and dig out when I decided to get rid of them. If you do plant them, put them in your least favorable location, away from the fruit trees, which they will quickly outgrow and overshadow. They have quite a spread too, so keep that in mind if you are planting them close to a property line.

The other four trees could go in a line in full sun, about a dozen feet apart or so if they are semi-dwarf types.

Whatever you do, get the trees out of that bucket of water and into some moist peat moss, soil, or anything that will allow the roots to breathe. It is possible to drown a fruit tree by keeping it in a bucket more than a day or so.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• karri25
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much! I took the trees out of water! I hope that they are ok?!?!?!?!? I'm going out thi smorning to plant them on the sunny dry side of my yard. I think that you are right about the Hazelnuts:-( But I am naturalizing the way far back of my yard so I will plant them there. Maybe the birds will enjoy the nuts!

• flyboy
    17 years ago

I think the birds would have to have beaks made out of titanium. I'm sure the tree rats will enjoy them, however.

Don