Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edspangler

Blueberry Bush

Ed Spangler
11 years ago

Greetings, 3 years ago this spring, I planted a Blueberry Bush. I weeded it and kept it clear, but 3 years later its alive but still a 3 sprig plant, nothing about its says "Bush"., its alive, but definitely....not "Thriving" for sure!
Obviously, I am in way over my head, so.....what do I need to do? How much water does it need? Should I be feeding it? If so what?? How often?I use Fung onil and Mancozeb fungacides / disease control spray on my Tomatos, should I be using that on my Blueberry "Sprigs"??
HELP!!!
Please respond via email so I can print and use any replies.
Thanks
ED

Comments (9)

• ericwi
    11 years ago

Blueberry shrubs thrive when the roots are colonized by symbiotic fungi, forming what is called a mycorrhizal association. The blueberry roots become covered with fungus, and the fungus takes up both water and nutrients from the soil, which are channeled into the blueberry plant. For this reason, fungicide would not be applied to a blueberry shrub, or the soil beneath a blueberry shrub. The idea is to encourage the growth of mycorrhizal fungi, so that the plant grows and produces fruit. Blueberries do well when the soil pH is between 4 and 6.5, with pH = 4.5 the desired optimum. If you are watering the shrub with well water that contains dissolved limestone, the soil pH is likely too high for the shrub to grow and thrive. Have you tested your soil for pH?

• fireduck
    11 years ago

The obvious key to blueberries is the need for acidic soil....as stated above. Find ways like soil sulphur or azalea food (acidic) to help you out. Dave Wilson Nursery has great info for blueberries.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

ED,
    It can be fed a couple of tablespoons of Ammonium Sulfate sprinkled around the plant,about 10-12 inches away from the base and watered in,once a month,from now until July. Brady

• Ed Spangler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Everyone!!!!
    , where would I find Ammonium Sulfate??
    Lowes? Home Depot?
    And after July,,,?? In my zone do I need to do any winter prep?? By the way, I did get soil tested....PH 6.6
    Thanks All
    ED

• murkwell
    11 years ago

Ed,

6.6 is much too alkaline. Perhaps Eric meant an upper limit of 5.5 rather than 6.5.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Plants that do NOT respond to Endo or Ecto Mycorrhizae
    Azalea Carnation Kale Rush
    Beet Cauliflower Lingonberies Rutabega
    Blueberry Collards Mustard Sedge
    Broccoli Cranberry Orchids Spinach
    Brussels Heath Protea
    Cabbage Huckleberry Rhododendron

I can't find right one for Blueberries can help?

Here is a link that might be useful: symbiotic fungi

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Ammonium Sulfate is readily available on Ebay. That's where I got mine from.

• ericwi
    11 years ago

The most recent research that I have seen regarding blueberries and symbiotic fungi was done around 2005 by Carolyn Scagel, working at the USDA Horticultural Research Station at Corvallis, Oregon. The fungi are described as "ericoid mycorrhizae," and are thought to give wild blueberry plants the ability to grow in poor soils with low nutrient availability. I have not personally purchased and used any type of mycorrhizal inoculant. My practice has been to plant the blueberries, in soil amended with either peat moss or compost, apply agricultural sulfur to lower soil pH, keep the shrubs watered, and hope that the appropriate fungi move in and colonize, in due time.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Yes,I've seen Ammonium Sulfate at my local Home Depot and Lowes.It can also help lower the pH a little.
    It's rare, but I've seen the Ericoid mycorrhiza online for about $50 per unit,a little high for me.Like Eric said though,it should develop on it's own,especially where the soil hasn't been disturbed too much. Brady