Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pottedsage

Have: Desert Rose (adenium obesum) fresh seeds

PottedSage
12 years ago

I have about 100 adenium obesum seeds, from three seedpods on a single mother plant. The pods opened on 11/24/2011 and 11/30/2011.

The mother plant is a common pink adenium. The plant that I suspect as the father (adenium do not self-fertilize) is my other pink, with larger, darker flowers.

These plants are native to Africa/Arabia and naturally produce unusual bonsai forms and bright flowers. I already have seedlings all over the place (desert rose addiction!!), so would like to give these seeds away to someone who can appreciate them more. :-)

Adenium seeds are only viable while fresh, so these must be germinated in the next few months. In cloudier areas, they will probably require grow-light support until late spring, at which point they can be gradually moved outdoors into high sun.

Will take anything in trade, even just 1-2 seeds. I just don't want to see my plants' first babies go to waste.

Blessings!

PottedSage

Here is a link that might be useful: Parent plants for these seeds

Comments (13)

• cashclan
    12 years ago

EWwhhh, ewhhh ewhhh Me, me, me Jumping up and down and waving my hands frantically!!! I WILL APPRECIATE them and start them right away. I even received a two strip grow light for my birthday!!!!
    Here is a link to my Trade list to see if I have anything that interests you....
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/cashclan

Thank you
    Sharon Cash
    Zone 7

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    12 years ago

I have fresh seeds of salvia greggii navajo, columbine, hollyhock, garlic chives or dancing lady ginger for
    several of your desert rose.

• retsec
    12 years ago

I'd like some. Sent you an email.
    Nancy

• WonderWeasel
    12 years ago

If there's anything I have available that you would be willing to swap for, I'd love some. Sent you an e-mail!

--Jordan

• fearadyn
    12 years ago

I would love some of your seeds, I've got a nice warm room with new plant lights all ready to get them growing. Please see my link for any of my seed you would want to trade. And thank you so much for this offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: parents of seed for trade

• PottedSage
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These seeds are now all claimed by the people above; I'm still replying to individual messages. Thank you, all!

• davemichigan
    12 years ago

Just in case any of the above trade doesn't come through, could you consider me?

I grew up in Southeast Asia and remember having this plant in my house. They are so easy in Asia. Michigan is too cold for them to grow outdoor, but I will overwinter them indoor.

I don't have much to trade, but I have Blackberry Lilies and orange coneflower (I forgot the exactly but it is like something papayas. I can find out the name if you need it).

• souf
    12 years ago

is there anything specific that you'd like for these? ive been looking for quite a while for some of these. please email me if theres something i can help you with for some of these!

• davemichigan
    12 years ago

Hi PottedSage,

For some reason your first email never reached me. I just saw your SECOND email in my junk mail folder today! I have sent you a reply. Could you check your email?

Thank you very much for your offer!

Dave

• SmokyMist
    12 years ago

would LOVE to have some of these seeds, please check my list and see if we can trade. thank you !!

• SmokyMist
    12 years ago

Also, those are some of the most healthy, gorgeous adeniums I've ever seen..I hope my little guys grow up to look that good !!

• PottedSage
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PLEASE NOTE: THE SEEDS ARE NOW ALL GONE!!! They were all claimed within 2 days of the original post. I had no idea they would get snapped up so quickly. Since I'm a hobbyist, I only had the few seeds.

If my adenium surprise me with more this summer, I will post again. Thank you to all of you for your interest!

• PottedSage
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Souf, I have no way to contact you, so I hope you see the above.

Smokymist, thank you! They're not so happy right now, though. :-( They were doing great for months in the grow tent for winter, and then I was stupid enough to introduce a plant from a local nursery into the grow tent with them. BAD CHOICE.

The nursery plant apparently had both spider mite and whitefly eggs. I soaped them all; the adult adenium got angry about the insecticidal soap and shattered. All those pretty leaves and flowers, PLOP. At least they're hardy, and growing shiny new leaves now. I can tell you, though, I was well PO'd at the nursery--and my own foolishness--for messing up my babies.

Anyway, I certainly won't be sending out anything live until I'm sure the nasties are gone for months. And no more nursery shopping. I don't trust them any more.