Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannon_tx

At what age do mulberries begin bearing?

cannon_tx
14 years ago

I ordered a Black Beauty Mulberry from a mail-order nursery and planted it over two years ago. It has grown like a weed - from 2-3 ft high at planting to 14-15 ft high in that short time. However, it is in its third growing season and still hasn't born a single fruit. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually a fruitless variety, not a Black Beauty, since it is so big (I thought 15' was supposed to be its mature height) and yet it has not produced fruit.

Anyone have experience growing mulberries, particularly Black Beauty?

Comments (7)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

I think my morus nigra produced a few the 3rd year, so you should get some this year. Just so you know, the "flowers" come out way after the leaves.

Carla in Sac

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I purchased and planted an Illinois Everbearing branchless whip two months ago and it is fruiting now.

• mootube
    14 years ago

I've read that black mulberry can take 6 to 8 or 9 years to bare fruit and the reason given was that it's slow to grow accustomed to it's position. My own black mulberry is coming in to it's 5th year and has yet to bear fruit but having read that above, I'm enjoying it for the centerpiece that it is, safe in the knowledge that one day it'll return the love I've given it by presenting the most perfect berries. =D

For a named variety, especially Illinois Everbearing, the waiting time is reduced and I think for Black Beauty, you are due for a productive tree maybe this year or next.

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

I got 5' tall IE from my local nursery, and it gave me fruit that very year. -Glenn

• bucky130
    14 years ago

thisisme- Is that that Mulberry from Burnt Ridge that is fruiting?

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Hi bucky130, I can see a few fruits on it. Unfortunately the top 18-20" of it is dead and did not leaf out and will have to be cut off. So even an unhealthy 1/4" branchless whip of an Illinois Everbearing will fruit but 14-15' trees in other varieties do not? Looks like I purchased the right variety. Sure wish I had purchased a nice size tree from a different nursery. With our long seasons I'm told a Mulberry can grow 10' in one year. I was hoping for a tree that would do just that to shade my garden from the afternoon sun.
    Instead I will have a fruiting bush or at best a tree that will be 10' shorter at the end of the season than I had hoped. If the BR tree does not readily adopt a tree form and get at least 4-6' tall I will be purchasing another IE this Fall from a nursery other than Burnt Ridge. A 1/4" caliper whip is not a normal size variation for a tree described as large. None of the trees they sent me are thriving. I have 1-2" new growth on the Methley Plum they sent me. Of the four trees they sent me thats the tree thats doing the best. Trees I purchased from other nurseries already have 2-3' of new growth. Even trees I planted after my Burnt Ridge order have much more growth than the best tree purchased from BR. I don't think I will ever order from them again.

• cannon_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'll give it a couple more years.