Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Advice for Building Big Raised Bed for Blueberries

kristimama
15 years ago

Hi,

If I wanted to build a super wide, super deep raised bed for 4 blueberry bushes, with enough room for them to grow to their full size, what size would that need to be?

Basically, I've just cleared a huge hillside that will be perfect for blueberries, but for various reasons I don't want to plant in the ground. Deer, rodents, blue jays, bad soil, etc.

I'm currently growing my 4 blueberries in terra cotta pots on my very sunny (hot) concrete patio and I'm having a hard time managing their moisture/sun needs. The extreme warm heat here in contra costa county (near Walnut Creek, CA) during summer is going to be hard on them in pots, so I think after they fruit I want to move them to this hillside so they can dig in and grow.

I'm sort of envisioning this caged box (with chicken wire), wedged into my somewhat protected hillside, with a little door(s) to swing open for harvest.

I think this might be a better option than buying 4 big wine barrels that I'd still have to cage individually and repot every few years.

My questions, though, are:

-how big, and deep, and how tall, to accommodate 4 blueberries?

If it makes a difference, the varieties I have are:

-Earliblue

-Southmoon

-Sunshine Blue

-Jubilee

Thanks!

Comments (7)